Valve Index Hands On

aileron

The newest beta breaks Steam overlay, FYI.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The newest beta breaks Steam overlay, FYI.

Breaks in what way? Mine works fine and nicely with the new laser cursor on the Index. As I posted above, only thing is I can’t work out how to get out of the overlay.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Breaks in what way? Mine works fine and nicely with the new laser cursor on the Index. As I posted above, only thing is I can’t work out how to get out of the overlay.

Have you tried fpsVR recently? It's messed up right now. A lot of overlay apps have similar issues.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Have you tried fpsVR recently? It's messed up right now. A lot of overlay apps have similar issues.

Yes, fpsVR is messed up atm, but they tend to fix that quickly in the next beta. I thought you were talking about the Steam overlay on the system button.

Have you found a way of exiting after pressing the Index button?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Valve Index Hands On

Look away from panel and double press. The newest update fixed everything now, that was quick.

Look away from panel and double press. The newest update fixed everything now, that was quick.

It's working for me. Once I looked outside the overlay. I was able to start programs on my desktop while looking through the camera. Saved me $300! Very happy!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Yes, I continue to be really impressed at how quickly they resolve these issues.

Looking away and double pressing closes the Steam overlay, but also brings up the camera image for me.

I have found that holding the button for a few seconds and selecting cancel works, but that is not ideal.

New 1.8 version of fpsVR with lots of changes. Looks interesting. However, no sign of the promised hotkey to enable/disable AFAICS.

The new SteamVR beta also seems to make the need for a controller obsolete:

• Changed the default bindings for HMDs with buttons (Vive, Vive Pro, and Index) to allow navigation of the dashboard using only the HMD button. The new bindings are:
    • Single click – Show dashboard
    • Single click – Laser mouse click
    • HMD pose – Laser pointer

and

Added per-app setting for disabling async reprojection. This is the same functionality that was previously toggled via Shift+A in the old mirror window or via the async_mode_toggle debug command.

which HMD button are you referring to?I have my index on the way and would like to be ahead of the curve

which HMD button are you referring to?I have my index on the way and would like to be ahead of the curve

There is only one button and it is the ‘system’ button located on the underside of the Index.

I like the way they implement it by using head motion to control the cursor. When I’m doing roomscale VR I’m usually away from mouse and keyboard. Accessing desktop while in VR is now a breeze. I encourage you guys to try it because with DCS you’d only realize a fraction of Index’s capability.

I like the way they implement it by using head motion to control the cursor. When I’m doing roomscale VR I’m usually away from mouse and keyboard. Accessing desktop while in VR is now a breeze. I encourage you guys to try it because with DCS you’d only realize a fraction of Index’s capability.

Yep, it is a really nice feature. Still can’t get out of it without holding down the system button though.

Dev probably should have used triple press for camera activation and double press for exiting dashboard. It’s tough when you only have one button to work with. Maybe you can suggest that in bug report.

Triple press would make sense for the camera. Still can’t see why the devs would have the same action - double press - to do two different commands.

Is there a way to activate the camera if the double press option is disabled?

Edited by imacken

Triple press would make sense for the camera. Still can’t see why the devs would have the same action - double press - to do two different commands.

Is there a way to activate the camera if the double press option is disabled?

I didn't see anywhere in settings where I could do that. As quickly as they're responding hopefully someone or multiple someone's will mention it. As to the beta itself in DCS, it's still good for me. Sitting on the ramp in Kasahb, on our squad server, multiple people flying, everything outside the jet is sharp and detailed with no noticeable frame drops. It's really pretty. I don't think it's placebo lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I didn't see anywhere in settings where I could do that. As quickly as they're responding hopefully someone or multiple someone's will mention it. As to the beta itself in DCS, it's still good for me. Sitting on the ramp in Kasahb, on our squad server, multiple people flying, everything outside the jet is sharp and detailed with no noticeable frame drops. It's really pretty. I don't think it's placebo lol.

Finally which are your settings (SteamVR, NVCP and DCS? And which GeForce are you using?

I'm testing a lot of configurations but I don't get so good performance...

Again, I can't say enough how impressed I am by Valve's quick updating of SteamVR to address issues.

Last night's update to 1.8.4 has solved the whole system button pressing thing. Now, it's a simple one press when looking away from it to remove the Steam dashboard!

Again, I can't say enough how impressed I am by Valve's quick updating of SteamVR to address issues.

Last night's update to 1.8.4 has solved the whole system button pressing thing. Now, it's a simple one press when looking away from it to remove the Steam dashboard!

Devs might have been reading your comments here, lol. I can't keep up with all the changes, but this is a good thing. I've been pretty happy with the current performance, it is good enough that I can stop tinkering with the settings and play.

I asked in the SteamVR suggestions forum to fix the controller interference when using the VR dashboard. It was nasty for years and fixed with the latest beta, no more unintended scrolling from joystick/HOTAS input! :)

HMD only interaction works flawlessly now...

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Finally which are your settings (SteamVR, NVCP and DCS? And which GeForce are you using?

I'm testing a lot of configurations but I don't get so good performance...

Below are my DCS settings. Along with that I'm at 1.0 Pixel Density and 58 IPD in the VR tab.

SteamVR settings:

Video tab, Custom Resolution 148%

DCS Application 138%

All else at 100%

NVCP: The only thing I changed was prefer maximum performance. Every time I try and use AA or AF using the NVCP I get ghosting. Also, you'll notice I do not use ANY shadows or MSAA. I really don't care for the shadows at all and I've gotten used to not using MSAA. I can spot targets much farther now and outside objects are very sharp once closer. By not using these features I free up overhead which increases my FPS.

DCS%20settings_zpsbca7xzts.png

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don’t know how many of you fly online - lately me flying online has been painful. I was using the settings wicked has in the previous post. When I do, having one or more player aircraft near me while a2a refueling drops my frame rate to less that 20. I had to take it back to stock in steam (150%) to not see the drop off. Anyone else seeing that? Any suggestions on how to fix?

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

I don’t know how many of you fly online - lately me flying online has been painful. I was using the settings wicked has in the previous post. When I do, having one or more player aircraft near me while a2a refueling drops my frame rate to less that 20. I had to take it back to stock in steam (150%) to not see the drop off. Anyone else seeing that? Any suggestions on how to fix?

I fly exclusively online on our squad server. There I rarely have an issue unless I'm next to someone with a low bandwidth connection. However, when I fly on the 107th TTI server I do have those issues but I would say it's a bandwidth/ping issue and not so much an Index issue. How well do those settings work for you in stand alone? I can pretty well gauge my system performance just by flying the instant action free flight for the 18. If it holds 45 FPS when I fly low over large patches of trees and can see multiple elevation changes in the view it's usually good to go online as well. That said, having to exchange data with people with slower connections is always going to cause issues with lag.

I have a solid 190-200 Mbps connection down and 11 Mbps up and that is on a wireless Netgear A7000 USB NIC. Many guys I fly with can't get this speed wired and lag out when near others.

So, first thing first is to check your internet speed both up and down.

Lastly, triggers in PVE servers will cause havoc as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Below are my DCS settings. Along with that I'm at 1.0 Pixel Density and 58 IPD in the VR tab.

SteamVR settings:

Video tab, Custom Resolution 148%

DCS Application 138%

All else at 100%

NVCP: The only thing I changed was prefer maximum performance. Every time I try and use AA or AF using the NVCP I get ghosting. Also, you'll notice I do not use ANY shadows or MSAA. I really don't care for the shadows at all and I've gotten used to not using MSAA. I can spot targets much farther now and outside objects are very sharp once closer. By not using these features I free up overhead which increases my FPS.

DCS%20settings_zpsbca7xzts.png

With the latest StreamVR beta, I have also downgraded the Nvidia driver to 436.02 and having the CPU overclocked to 5 GHz (the GPU too), I notice some improvements in the performance, holding 45 FPS over Dubai (with MSAA). But I have to do more tests in order to conclude something...

I've now flown a good 16 hours using the above settings in multiplayer and it's rock solid. I'll usually fly 4 hours at a stretch. Using 436.02 as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]