DCS doesn't start in VR with Steam VR

Bill Baroud

Hello all,

I would like to use my occulus quest with virtual desktop to play wirelessly.

The issue is that when starting DCS from steam VR, it always starts in non VR mode.

When starting Xplane or half-life alyx using the same setup (through steam VR / virtual desktop), it works fine, the issue is only with DCS.

when using occulus link, I am able to run DCS in VR.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I use the non-steam version of DCS, and have manually added DCS to the steam library.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You might try a pm to dburne . He has experience with the various pieces of that puzzle .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 4 weeks later...
as no one is replying, let me ask it this way : how do you manage to run dcs with virtual desktop on the quest ?

I created a link for that which does this:

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe"

It's the same as right clicking the VD Steamer icon in the tray and selecting Inject Game..., but a lot more convenient.

Works fine and uses the Oculus ware if it's running. If not, it fires up SteamVR. Having less fps there though, but I haven't tried since I switched the render res to 100%, default was like 160% or so.

Noticable difference to the CV1 is that you can't recenter with the Y button, but holding the right menu button does that instead. Double clicking the left menu button takes you back to the VD "cinema mode" or back to VR from there.

In order to use multiple sound devices, you need to select a third though. My rig has a 5.1 system connected to an X-Fi, and a headset connected to the onboard chip - plus the VR thing. When flying DCS, I switch my Windows default audio device to the headset which I won't use. Just left click on the speaker in the tray and select the device from there. Then the VD streamer passes through that audio to the Quest, so I can select the X-Fi in DCS as the main device and the VD audio for comms. If I don't set the headset as default (then it'd be the X-Fi), VD takes the audio from the X-Fi over to the headset which I don't want. Only downside of this solution is that I can't use my keyboard volume controls anymore for the 5.1 since they then control the VD audio instead so I'd have to set the desired volume before kicking off.

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I can not imagine DCS running through Virtual Desktop with any kind of acceptable performance in the Quest.

Using Quest Link though it does pretty good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 4 weeks later...
I created a link for that which does this:

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe"

Thanks for this

I managed to get DCS running in VD using this setup

Although after the last few updates, I seem to get better performance thru Oculus Link instead so i guess i'll stick to this

it's really good for 2D screen monitoring and desktop usage though. There is no perceivable difference