BL755 for AV-8B/NA

DmitriKozlowsky

British and international variants of HarrierII were cleared to use BL755. Jane's and Wiki on BL755 are unclear if American Boeing variant of HarrierII, was cleared to use this weapon. I tend to believe that as NATO munition, AV-8BNA could carry it as our Allies in Europe and MidEast stockpile this munition. I know we have the glorious MK20, but variety is spice of life. ED's modeling of weapon effects of CBU-family of munitions leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when used from A-10C. I watch the weapons fall, burst, sub-munition detonations among BTR-80 or SP artillery, sparks all over the place, nice eye-candy, and target vehicle undamaged. Not to mention that CBU family of munitions is not available as a store in DCS: AV-8B/NA. Just MK20 Rockeye.

In DCS: Mig-21bis has BL755 as munition for little Fishbed.

The Harrier we have seems to be a USMC Harrier and I don't believe we use any non-US munitions on the Harrier. My money would be on this not happening, I'm afraid.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

The GR.7/9 could certainly carry it which means the AV-8B almost certainly could.

However, it's not a weapon used by the US Marines or by the USA in general. Therefore I very much doubt we'll see it on the AV-8B in game and rightly so.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

I tend to believe that as NATO munition, AV-8BNA could carry it as our Allies in Europe and MidEast stockpile this munition.

There is a difference between being able to mount something on a wing pylon and being able to use it. The suspension lugs are most likely compatible with the regular mk80-series layout that pretty much all free fall bombs use these days, but with different aerodynamic and ballistic paremeters, actually using it would require extensive certification work and upgrades to the avionics. Traditionally, the US has designed their aircraft and systems for equipment they actually use, not what they might find in a warehouse somewhere.

TL;DR: no BL755 on the AV-8B.

Agreed there is no place for the BL755 on the AV-8B NA.

There are some pretty big differences with the the GR.7/9 and I suspect software/wiring differences were not insignificant.

The GR could carry Sniper XR and TERMA pods on the belly gun pod stations for example had the Zeus ECM suite, always fitted the outrigger pylons and also commonly used British 540lb dumb bombs, Brimstone and CRV-7 rocket pods.

I would love to see all of this in game but we need a GR.7 or 9 which RAZBAM have said previously they would do if they can get the info.

The reason why the Mig-21 has the BL755 is because some countries that flew the Mig-21 also used the BL755.

The AV-8 has never used the BL755.

I did try to add the bombs but it disabled the module.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Yes, ive a book on NATO air weapons that confirms that. I also think it says Jaguars (Or was it Tornado's?) used Mk20's for high altitude attacks, for which they were better optimised than BL755.

Id like to see a Harrier with BL755. But I have to admit, I cant think of a single occasion they have actually used them, which is what you would need to do to be able to make a case I would assume. Blame the USMC for lack of foresight. :)

Excuse me while I shoehorn this roughly off topic in here. But if we are going to have this discussion let's go back to a weapon system that was enthusiastically adopted by the service and put into use practically immediately.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/baes-apkws-rockets-go-to-war-on-av-8b-harrier-423724/

e74d8208883b0af4fba7261b69f5b037.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

IMHO, if the weapon is compatible with the fire control system then we should include it to represent other countries even if it isn't used by the U.S. in its version of the aircraft. For instance, the CF-188/CF-18 is almost identical to the F/A-18 version modelled, but uses a CRV-7 rocket pod.

If we include skins, then why not include weapons?

I am prior service, US Army 13A MOS(Field Artillery Officer). As long as ordinance adhered to NATO standards, it could be used. Programming ballistic tables is a line replaceable item. I grant , that I have never seen a Marine Corps HarrierII with BL755 in real life, but it is not an out of the ball park, and would make DCS: AV-8B more interesting. On YT there are plenty of vids showing Gr7/GR9 HarriersII for RAF/RN FAA/, Italian, and Spanish navies loaded with absurd amount of BL755. Something like 10-11 rounds. Including along ventral center pylon. With Harrier still able to take off in 500-700 feet. If, G*d forbid, modern war came to Europe, and USMC Harriers had to use ordinance from British, French, Italians, Belgians,and Germans they would. Training and budgeting and other real world ancilary details not withstanding. From my experience in FA, our M109A5/A6, M198, M102, and M119 guns, could use 155mm and 105mm ordinance manufactured by any NATO nation, or ally adhering to NATO standards. US forces in Vietnam used German,Canadian, British, and Australian supplied ordinance, when American allotted stocks for that theater went low. During Vietnam War, #1 funding and supply priority was Western and Central Europe Med included. Then Korea. Then Vietnam. then CONUS.

In a hypothetical European showdown, of US ran short on MK20, or CBU's, you can bet that BL755 would be used, if available. Obviously RAZBAM likely has more important priorities then expanding AV8B munition carriage. AV98BNA being my absolute favorite DCS module, I defer to RAZBAM developers as which functions to develop. Expanded weapon carriage is a great option to explore. LAser guided ZUNI would be killer. In DCS:AV8B, a single Zuni can kill a tank , with a direct hit. Since we don't have Brimstone for Harrier, a laser guided Zuni is next best thing.I am not certain what real world state of JHMQS and AIM-9X integration with Marine Harriers. Having JHMQS and AIM-9X from DCS: F/A-18C would be most pleasing. I am in favor of having expanded weapon carriage being as an optional addon at reasonable price.

I explore various scenarios in DCS, especially unusual ones.

What if there was no Tarawa available? Sunk, damaged? Basing Marine Harriers on Allied ships.

Pure unprepared FARP operations of Harriers, Apaches, and Cobras. VSTOL from ground.

Fields in range of enemy artillery and artillery rocket, under constant bombardment.

Air-ground combat under poor visibility.

Using Harriers in unsuitable roles. In anti-submarine warfare for example. Hunting for SSKs on surface.

Fictional US-Russia alliance blue force , using Kuz, as quazi-LHA. With China as red force. Or Germany. Or China-Germany as Red coalition. Using Normandy map as stand in for Baltic. Where UK land is Scandanavia, Normandy is Central European coast, and right-most area is Poland and Baltic3. Left most area standing on for Straights Of Denmark. With initial conditions as being against Blue forces.

http://www.defensereview.com/mbda-semi-active-laser-guided-zuni-rocket-with-4-shot-lau-10-rocket-pod-launch-pod-precision-guided-rockets-get-a-big-boost/