** F-14 Development Update: December 2018 **

Cobra847

Number 1 is already implemented in Jester in a far more effective way. ;)

He is simulated like a human being and not as an AI. If he is heads down in the cockpit (looking on the radar) he can't spot anything outside. if he looks out the canooy to the right he can't see anything outside his field of view. Switching buttons or entering stuff in the cockpit he can't spot anything, as he is "distracted" and finally there is a demo of Jester typing the coordinates of a target into the system, numbers one by one, as a human would need to do.

He is a well trained RIO, but not a Robot with omnivision and far from infallible.

EDIT added the video.

Thanks for the info and the video Shagrat.

I have heard the clicking noises in other videos, but never equated it to Jester typing in cords. I always put it down to some old analogue computer clicking its relays or something.

Jester actually having to type in cords manually and be distracted from everything else while doing so is pretty amazing.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard the clicking noises in other videos, but never equated it to Jester typing in cords. I always put it down to some old analogue computer clicking its relays or something.

Completely OT:

Would be nice to hear a comment from a RL fighter Pilot if you can actually hear that stuff under your Helmet in Cockpit.

In the Cessna 172 you can't hear **** with the engine running and with headphones on besides the engine and your comms

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

The pilots wear helmets with ear protection and the ECS (or whatever it‘s called) was apparently very noisy already in the Tomcat cockpit so I doubt it. I personally think it‘s great that Heatblur is purposely making clicking sounds a lot louder than they are in real life as we don‘t get any haptic feedback, like you would get in a real cockpit.

Maybe the DCS sound engine is limiting Heatblur and they had to make a compromise. Perhaps the loudness of the RIO switches can‘t be changed depending on the seat position?

Edited by Manuel_108

The pilots wear helmets with ear protection and the ECS (or whatever it‘s called) was apparently very noisy already in the Tomcat cockpit so I doubt it. I personally think it‘s great that Heatblur is purposely making clicking sounds a lot louder than they are in real life as we don‘t get any haptic feedback, like you would get in a real cockpit.

Maybe the DCS sound engine is limiting Heatblur and they had to make a compromise. Perhaps the loudness of the RIO switches can‘t be changed depending on the seat position?

Yeah that is what i suspect - you can't hear any of that. The clicking sounds in the Viggen are so damn good. Absolutely no Intention to request a removal of any sound-modelling here - just to be clear.

Point is - I would be very interested in getting some Feedback from the SME/Dev-side what a realistic combination of our Sound Settings in the DCS menu system would look like. Can those guys recommend a specific slider Setting/combination when using a Headset (in my case Sennehiser GSP 600)

The most important is to activate the "Hear like in helmet" setting under Audio.

Then adjust the world and cockpit sounds maybe a bit down.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

RIO switches wont be this loud later.

We mix and tweak all of our sounds to work well without "Hear as in Helmet" - which is quite frankly a very poor design decision (it basically throws all of the audio engineering out the door). Your mileage may vary. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The most important is to activate the "Hear like in helmet" setting under Audio.

Then adjust the world and cockpit sounds maybe a bit down.

Yup, got it so far - that "maybe a bit down" part is what i am kindly asking for :D

We mix and tweak all of our sounds to work well without "Hear as in Helmet" - which is quite frankly a very poor design decision (it basically throws all of the audio engineering out the door). Your mileage may vary. :)

Ha, now that is new to me!! Thanks Nicholas

Is there a specific setting in the Sounds Menu you guys engineer your sounds for?

Ok, so the default sound you implement is already adjusted for Helmet on? Cool. Now, we could use a per module sound settings... :(

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ok, so the default sound you implement is already adjusted for Helmet on? Cool. Now, we could use a per module sound settings... :(

No, not really. We just look at what feels interesting and immersive. If we went full realism; you wouldn't hear switches, or much rattling, or the engine whine - or frankly almost anything sans the ECS in the Tomcat. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

or much rattling, or the engine whine - or frankly almost anything sans the ECS in the Tomcat. :)

I tried to explain this on Reddit and was damn near crusified.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

No, not really. We just look at what feels interesting and immersive. If we went full realism; you wouldn't hear switches, or much rattling, or the engine whine - or frankly almost anything sans the ECS in the Tomcat. :)

I tried to explain this on Reddit and was damn near crusified.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So what settings would give us a realistic (but maybe boring) sound experience?

Hear like in helmet, ironically. It's definitely not perfect or the most realistic option, but it's lot more realistic than not using that setting.

Yeah, i know Cylon that was already discussed on the page before.

I asked specifically for a recommended slider setting for world, cockpit etc. sounds in the menu settings to get a close approximation what you hear with double ear protection in the cat.

Since the jets are so different regarding cockpit noise I would love to get some feedback on this :thumbup:

Which aircraft did you fly btw and could you give some inout in this as i only have some hours in the C172 IRL

Got it, I misunderstood. An F-14 pilot would have to help you with that.

I've flown the Cessna 162, 172, T-6, L-39, R22 and R44.

Yeah i hope that HB may be releasing some recommendation or something like that, if we want a realistic Sound Setting based on feedback with their SME's or some comments from maybe Victory205 :D

BTW. thats some nice experience! You don't fly anymore?

In the Cessna 172 you can't hear **** with the engine running and with headphones on besides the engine and your comms

You're basically almost sitting right on the engine in that crate. And it's not about how powerful the engine is. You can't have a conversation without yelling at each other in a VW Käfer on the Autobahn, no headphones even required.

But still you have a point. ED went a way BTW that I don't like in this case. They normalize the sound effects. You can hear the buttons click loudly and proudly until something starts running, be it the APU alone. But neither the APU, the engines nor the ECS are any louder than the buttons... they just fade out the buttons sound effects. Also, as soon as some warnings are played, the ECS volume instantly goes down and comes back up again as soon as the warning effect is over. That totally kills the immersion IMHO. I prefer to be able to hear the clicks over that. Really. But better would be to be able to hear the buttons and knobs in a reasonable volume and then the rest being so loud that you can't hear the buttons anymore, you know, just like when the wife is just firing up the vacuum cleaner - to anyone flying with all the audio on headphones, go blame yourself if that kills your eardrums pinkiepieexcited.png

We mix and tweak all of our sounds to work well without "Hear as in Helmet" - which is quite frankly a very poor design decision (it basically throws all of the audio engineering out the door). Your mileage may vary. smile.gif

"Hear as in Helmet" basically makes your eardrums explode as soon as you use any of the external views with that option checked - because that totally kills 98% of the sound effects completely. This option never should have been there in the first place, instead all volumes should be correct right away. And we really need DCS to utilize a second sound device to be able to simulate "Hear as in Helmet" realistically - by you putting up one and have everything come out of the headphones that should.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

No, I have major health problems and I'm waiting on treatment (hopefully).

Stick it out Brother, Getting OakCity to give you back your medical is a PITA on so many levels. But, in the end you'll be glad you did.

What I hate is a newb can now fly on a Don't Ask Don't Tell non-AMA Honor system medical for Class 3 but someone who already got a Medical and is actually getting proper treatment has to beg every 6 months to a year to be able to do the same thing someone who never goes to the doctor is allowed to do no questions asked.

Anyway On Topic. I hate hearing switches or OS "click noises" on anything. While I respect the work being put in on the sound design, I fly headphones on, avionics up, other sounds way down. I know the sounds help make up for a lack of haptic feedback in the butt. But I don't need a lot of them. What I do need is to hear what people or robots are trying to tell me.

Stick it out Brother, Getting OakCity to give you back your medical is a PITA on so many levels. But, in the end you'll be glad you did.

What I hate is a newb can now fly on a Don't Ask Don't Tell non-AMA Honor system medical for Class 3 but someone who already got a Medical and is actually getting proper treatment has to beg every 6 months to a year to be able to do the same thing someone who never goes to the doctor is allowed to do no questions asked.

Anyway On Topic. I hate hearing switches or OS "click noises" on anything. While I respect the work being put in on the sound design, I fly headphones on, avionics up, other sounds way down. I know the sounds help make up for a lack of haptic feedback in the butt. But I don't need a lot of them. What I do need is to hear what people or robots are trying to tell me.

Pretty much the same here. Hear like in Cockpit on and World and in-cockpit toned down quite a bit. I can still hear engine, wind and such, but not dominant like in a Hollywood movie.

Shagrat

No, not really. We just look at what feels interesting and immersive.

Thanks for providing that option. Sitting in front of a flat screen with the annoying headphone and Track IR wires and all the quirks, I need all the distracting immersion elements I can get, IMHO.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Is this Tomcat or just Crash Laobi humour... :huh:

It's Laobi humor, but it IS most likely a reveal. There's a few hints in the vid, though. :smilewink:

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Thanks for providing that option. Sitting in front of a flat screen with the annoying headphone and Track IR wires and all the quirks, I need all the distracting immersion elements I can get, IMHO.
Yupp, after all there is the switch for hear like in helmet for us who wants it more real. So standard should be aligned with the normal sound in other modules. Otherwise we have to do different settings in each module... good to see Heatblur sticking to the standard.

Shagrat

based on the voltage gauge, its the CEII

Uuuggh. Where are the Tomcat videos? It's been 2 weeks. I expected at least one a week from all the content creators.:greedy:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Uuuggh. Where are the Tomcat videos? It's been 2 weeks. I expected at least one a week from all the content creators.:greedy:

Jabbers mentioned he cant posted videos in the tomcat discord last night. So I am guessing there is another "embargo" right now.:huh:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog