** F-14 Development Update: December 2018 ** - Page 43 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #421
CYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquale1986 View Post
Yeah, i know Cylon that was already discussed on the page before.

I asked specifically for a recommended slider setting for world, cockpit etc. sounds in the menu settings to get a close approximation what you hear with double ear protection in the cat.

Since the jets are so different regarding cockpit noise I would love to get some feedback on this

Which aircraft did you fly btw and could you give some inout in this as i only have some hours in the C172 IRL
Got it, I misunderstood. An F-14 pilot would have to help you with that.

I've flown the Cessna 162, 172, T-6, L-39, R22 and R44.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #422
Pasquale1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLON View Post
Got it, I misunderstood. An F-14 pilot would have to help you with that.

I've flown the Cessna 162, 172, T-6, L-39, R22 and R44.
Yeah i hope that HB may be releasing some recommendation or something like that, if we want a realistic Sound Setting based on feedback with their SME's or some comments from maybe Victory205

BTW. thats some nice experience! You don't fly anymore?

Personal Wishlist: F-117A, B-52H, B-1B, Panavia Tornado IDS
Pasquale1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #423
Eldur

Quote:
In the Cessna 172 you can't hear **** with the engine running and with headphones on besides the engine and your comms
You're basically almost sitting right on the engine in that crate. And it's not about how powerful the engine is. You can't have a conversation without yelling at each other in a VW Käfer on the Autobahn, no headphones even required.

But still you have a point. ED went a way BTW that I don't like in this case. They normalize the sound effects. You can hear the buttons click loudly and proudly until something starts running, be it the APU alone. But neither the APU, the engines nor the ECS are any louder than the buttons... they just fade out the buttons sound effects. Also, as soon as some warnings are played, the ECS volume instantly goes down and comes back up again as soon as the warning effect is over. That totally kills the immersion IMHO. I prefer to be able to hear the clicks over that. Really. But better would be to be able to hear the buttons and knobs in a reasonable volume and then the rest being so loud that you can't hear the buttons anymore, you know, just like when the wife is just firing up the vacuum cleaner - to anyone flying with all the audio on headphones, go blame yourself if that kills your eardrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra847 View Post
RIO switches wont be this loud later.

We mix and tweak all of our sounds to work well without "Hear as in Helmet" - which is quite frankly a very poor design decision (it basically throws all of the audio engineering out the door). Your mileage may vary.
"Hear as in Helmet" basically makes your eardrums explode as soon as you use any of the external views with that option checked - because that totally kills 98% of the sound effects completely. This option never should have been there in the first place, instead all volumes should be correct right away. And we really need DCS to utilize a second sound device to be able to simulate "Hear as in Helmet" realistically - by you putting up one and have everything come out of the headphones that should.

Last edited by Eldur; 01-15-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Eldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 AM   #424
CYLON

Quote:
You don't fly anymore?
No, I have major health problems and I'm waiting on treatment (hopefully).
Old 01-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #425
RustBelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLON View Post
No, I have major health problems and I'm waiting on treatment (hopefully).
Stick it out Brother, Getting OakCity to give you back your medical is a PITA on so many levels. But, in the end you'll be glad you did.

What I hate is a newb can now fly on a Don't Ask Don't Tell non-AMA Honor system medical for Class 3 but someone who already got a Medical and is actually getting proper treatment has to beg every 6 months to a year to be able to do the same thing someone who never goes to the doctor is allowed to do no questions asked.

Anyway On Topic. I hate hearing switches or OS "click noises" on anything. While I respect the work being put in on the sound design, I fly headphones on, avionics up, other sounds way down. I know the sounds help make up for a lack of haptic feedback in the butt. But I don't need a lot of them. What I do need is to hear what people or robots are trying to tell me.
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #426
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBelt View Post
Stick it out Brother, Getting OakCity to give you back your medical is a PITA on so many levels. But, in the end you'll be glad you did.

What I hate is a newb can now fly on a Don't Ask Don't Tell non-AMA Honor system medical for Class 3 but someone who already got a Medical and is actually getting proper treatment has to beg every 6 months to a year to be able to do the same thing someone who never goes to the doctor is allowed to do no questions asked.

Anyway On Topic. I hate hearing switches or OS "click noises" on anything. While I respect the work being put in on the sound design, I fly headphones on, avionics up, other sounds way down. I know the sounds help make up for a lack of haptic feedback in the butt. But I don't need a lot of them. What I do need is to hear what people or robots are trying to tell me.
Pretty much the same here. Hear like in Cockpit on and World and in-cockpit toned down quite a bit. I can still hear engine, wind and such, but not dominant like in a Hollywood movie.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #427
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra847 View Post
No, not really. We just look at what feels interesting and immersive.
Thanks for providing that option. Sitting in front of a flat screen with the annoying headphone and Track IR wires and all the quirks, I need all the distracting immersion elements I can get, IMHO.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 01-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Dudikoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #428
rainyday

Is this Tomcat or just Crash Laobi humour... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsBZCi9XvIE
Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #429
ShadowXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Is this Tomcat or just Crash Laobi humour... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsBZCi9XvIE
It's Laobi humor, but it IS most likely a reveal. There's a few hints in the vid, though.
ShadowXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #430
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Thanks for providing that option. Sitting in front of a flat screen with the annoying headphone and Track IR wires and all the quirks, I need all the distracting immersion elements I can get, IMHO.
Yupp, after all there is the switch for hear like in helmet for us who wants it more real. So standard should be aligned with the normal sound in other modules. Otherwise we have to do different settings in each module... good to see Heatblur sticking to the standard.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote