The Engine in this thing is a BULLET MAGNET!

Logs into Multiplayer server, gets kitted out with some serious firepower - engines get cranked and I am off to the battlefield.

Bunch of infantry, all lined up the fools! Mwah ha ha, I place my crosshairs on the target, closing in fast - their tiny bodies becoming bigger as I approach.

And then, I see it. A couple of tracers flying right my way, Ha! this thing can take a couple of bullets, it's a frickin tank - then I hear the dreaded "donk" - oh no, my right engine is on fire, Oh sh*t! The training missions didn't prepare me for this, I fool around pressing every button on my extinguisher panel "psshhhttt" "psshhhtt" - damn, the fire is still burning - I see a FARP in the distance, I can make it! I get within distance and there goes my rotors.... i fall from the sky like a brick - Ka-BOOM! I sigh.... - then slowly hit the reload button and do it all over again! :doh:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I agree!

The Mi-8 has a huge empty (not counting potential soft bodies) cargo hold which takes up about 70% of the fuselage - but every single little 5.56mm bullet seemes to find its way into the engines and set them on fire!

This has bugged me for a while, and is definitly fishy!

On a side note - engine fire wont go out if you discharge the extinguisers, while fuel is still pumped into them. You need to cut off the fuel valves first!

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Personally, why would you take the Mi-8 into combat? It's really just a troop carrier, and the weapons are meant for DEFENSE.

I don't own it, but it doesn't look like it would maneuver well, nor be very fast.

Its more armored than you think

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Personally, why would you take the Mi-8 into combat? It's really just a troop carrier, and the weapons are meant for DEFENSE.

I don't own it, but it doesn't look like it would maneuver well, nor be very fast.

Faster than the Huey brother!

when moving into a hot LZ the chopper should change height and speed randomly. Dropping collective and letting the airframe fall 5 to 10 metres is all that is needed for avoiding incoming fire that originates 0.600 - 1 km distance. A straight flying chopper is a magnet for bullets, even some slack jawed backwater ingrate can hit such a predictable target.

No one said this was gonna be easy.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Having said that, there is a problem.

I believe that the enemy ground troops are god almighty when aiming for the engines, they are programmed at source to engage the most vulnerable component of an airframe, and if simple avoidance is not taken... they will pop an engine.

The RL British SAS could not achieve such results at such a constant rate!

And they train every one else!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Nor are you required to do so, if you're facing those AD assets, something has gone very wrong.

The Mi-8 weapons are supressive at best and used against soft targets such as infantry, trucks and such.

The heavy demolition crew of KA50s and FW aircrafts should take on the bigger fish in the pond.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Yea it's the same era bird as the H-3 which could take very little combat damage before falling out of the sky. The LZ had to be real clear before Jolly Green could go in for the rescue. The H-53 series through the E and K models are engineered to take a 50 Cal hit to the main gear box and still return home also the fuel system can take major hits and armor plate is available for the engines, pilots and control system,.

Edited by tusler

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Nor are you required to do so, if you're facing those AD assets, something has gone very wrong.

The Mi-8 weapons are supressive at best and used against soft targets such as infantry, trucks and such.

The heavy demolition crew of KA50s and FW aircrafts should take on the bigger fish in the pond.

Mi8 weapons can be used out to 2 km. That range would be pretty standart for s8 rockets. It is just that shooting at this distance without a rangefinder is a skill on its own. However you dont need 100% precision when s8 will cover 100 x 300m target area. Its actually a good thing against the infantry and for when you dont know where the enemy is.