Question when would one use - 8 - FAB-100's

Kazius

So just curious in what situation would a Mig-21 use two 4x - FAB-100 racks. Do these bombs have a preset interval? I noticed they all come off the rack at the same time so if you dive bomb 30-40 degrees they all hit in generally the same spot. So to me I would probably just take single rack FAB's for that.

Now I couldn't find anywhere in the manual saying if you can drop individual or in pairs so I'm assuming these all have to be pickled in one shot.

Only thing I can think of for a dropping 8 bombs at a time is interval bombing to bomb a strip. But if they all come off at the exact same time they will probably hit in roughly the same location.

If it is amount of damage, why not just put on FAB-500's.

Anyways, just curious of the purpose of the Mig-21 using these racks. I know the Mig-21 is more of an interceptor, but still fun to understand its other functions.

It is some time ago, but I tested the 8x FAB-100 and 2X FAB-500 against bridges and was more succesful with the FAB-100 load. Also in a level bombing scenario, the FAB-100 do spread a significant amount when the speed is high.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]