[REPORTED] Drop tank Fuel Valve is only half right

DeepDrummer

Assuming all three fuel tanks have fuel in them:

If one shuts off both Fuel valves the engine will not start or it quits if flying (this is expected).

If one turns off the drop tank fuel valve OFF and turns the Main fuel cock ON the engine will start and will fly. (this is expected)

If one turns the Main Fuel cock ON and the drop tank fuel cock off in flight or at any time, fuel still flows from the drop tank (first). This seems odd in that the Main fuel valve is allowing fuel to flow from the drop tank when it has it's fuel valve closed. The Main has to be open for this to occur.

I believe fuel should not flow from the drop tank unless it's fuel valve is open. I have no documentation to prove one way or the other personally. It's just logic.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Currently the Drop Tank Fuel Cock does not function. It is ALWAYS ON.

If you are using the drop tank, once you've taken off and gained some altitude, switch the main fuel cock off to allow the fuel to be taken from the drop tank first.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Currently the Drop Tank Fuel Cock does not function. It is ALWAYS ON.

If you are using the drop tank, once you've taken off and gained some altitude, switch the main fuel cock off to allow the fuel to be taken from the drop tank first.

Agreed. That works well. I actually run it for 15 or 20 minutes on the mains first and then switch unless I know I am heading for a dog fight early. My immersion imagination feels that it is best to eliminate some top weight from the top main tank for better COG and balance.

I just flew a 300 nm mission going through 20,000 feet.

I decided not to drop the empty tank since no one chased me.

I figure if I am dropping the tank it is because I have to enter a dog fight and in that case losing the bombs and mounts at the same time is a good thing. It is not a deal breaker. Nothing is at this point really.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

There is one important think about Drop Tank Fuel Cock, i realized it today...

It is always in "On" (valve is open) on mission start, even it (lever) is in OFF position.

BUT!!!

If you open it (move lever to Open position) and then close it (move lever back to OFF), you will close that valve when lever is again in OFF position, you cut off fuel line from external fuel tank!!! Simply, it will start to work as it should.

weird, but that it is...

I was really sure that Drop Tank Fuel Cock function is not simulated, it is simulated but with small help described above...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

There is one important think about Drop Tank Fuel Cock, i realized it today...

It is always in "On" (valve is open) on mission start, even it (lever) is in OFF position.

BUT!!!

If you open it (move lever to Open position) and then close it (move lever back to OFF), you will close that valve when lever is again in OFF position, you cut off fuel line from external fuel tank!!! Simply, it will start to work as it should.

weird, but that it is...

I was really sure that Drop Tank Fuel Cock function is not simulated, it is simulated but with small help described above...

Perfect confirmed just now. I was able to run the top main tank dry and a couple gallons from the bottom main and then switch to the drop tank. Like I have been dreaming of doing. This leaves me in the perfect dog fighting position if I drop tanks while giving me 30 or 40 minutes over the target area on the drop tank before switching back to the main for the trip home.

Thank you indeed!

• 3 weeks later...