Oxygen Mask - how does it work?

Flagrum

I read here that the system is working as designed, that, if, while on ground, you black out if OBOGS is turned off or the oxygen flow is turned to 0.

But how does the oxygen mask work? Does it not just enrich the environmental air with additional oxygen when enabled? Or does the oxygen flow valve completely control the air flow as whole - like, if turned down, you can't breathe at all?

What exectly causes the lack of oxygen, if the system to provide additional oxygen is not working?

Flagrum,

The mask is supposed to “seal” the pilot face (nose and mouth) and if obogs is off, there is no oxygen and the pilot kind of suffocates. It becomes real hard to breath in real life. I can say that because I tested that myself. I could breath but it was almost and Yoga exercice.

OBOGS - On Board Oxygen Generator System - basically filters oxygen molecules from engine bled air and feeds the system. This way there is no need to have an reservoir do be filled once bellow a certain level like the majority of commercial planes has.

I hope the explanation helps.

All the best,

Sydy

Somewhat curious about this myself.

So the mask forms an airtight seal with the face? No external air can get in?

But the cabin is pressurised? I suppose the mask is worn as a precaution in case pressurisation is lost?

Are pilots obliged to wear the mask at all times (in the air)?

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Are pilots obliged to wear the mask at all times (in the air)?

They don't. I think you're right, the mask is worn more as a precaution than anything else. You can see videos on youtube with people flying in military jets (Prowlers, Hornets) with their mask taken off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the cockpit is pressurized, so the mask is for that moment when bullets smash your canopy or some leakage at high altitude

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Reading the literature it seems that the mask requires the oxygen flow switch on regardless if OBOGS or O2 bottle type lot aircraft. In procedures switching on oxygen flow and donning mask or switch off and doffing mask are simultaneous.

Breathing ECS or cabin air without the enriching system should be done with the mask off. From what Sydy says perhaps you can breathe with difficulty because you are drinking through a long straw, all the uncooperative plumbing of the system.

The mask is better air than cabin air. Mask is positive pressure relative to cabin. ECS does not get enriched air, only temperature-conditioned bleed. Only masks get enriched air.

If flow is shutoff, the mask is sealed and will not allow outside (cabin) air. Sadly happened to a backseater in a Viper in 2006. He started to breathing rapidly causing onset of hypoxia. Pilot instructed him to gang load his O2. At some point he turned off flow, instead of going 100% oxygen. :(

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

In any “high performance” military aircraft O2 mask is to be worn at all times

In regards to the perpose of presurizstion of the cockpit, below curtain barometric pressures your body processies the available oxygen differently. So if you didn’t have your mask on and lost pressure suddenly, you’d pass out pretty quickly. With the mask you’d be ‘fine’ below crazy high altitudes. And the cockpit itself isn’t receiving the oxygen, your mask is.

Pet peeve, In the movies you often see pilots take their mask off and gasp for air like they aren’t getting enough oxygen...totally BS, you never even need to take a deep breath when on O2, you’re never breathing easier. Try Scuba diving sometime.

"Chops"

A stab at TOPGUN, I see. You’re a liar. TOPGUN is 100% authentic and real!

In regards to the perpose of presurizstion of the cockpit, below curtain barometric pressures your body processies the available oxygen differently. So if you didn’t have your mask on and lost pressure suddenly, you’d pass out pretty quickly. With the mask you’d be ‘fine’ below crazy high altitudes. And the cockpit itself isn’t receiving the oxygen, your mask is.

Pet peeve, In the movies you often see pilots take their mask off and gasp for air like they aren’t getting enough oxygen...totally BS, you never even need to take a deep breath when on O2, you’re never breathing easier. Try Scuba diving sometime.

"Oxygen Mask - how does it work?"

It doesn't, it's a game!

:megalol:

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

I have problems with it getting tangled up with the flight stick...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

A stab at TOPGUN, I see. You’re a liar. TOPGUN is 100% authentic and real!

ABSOLUTELY. Smoking hot civvy with zero stick time instructing aviators about ACM? Of course that happens.

LOLOLOL That was good!:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Reminds me of the scene in Independence Day when Jimmy takes off his mask trying to shake off

the aliens.. "Put your mask back on! That's an order marine!"

What I’ve understood if not in combat, it is to be worn at higher altitudes as there is low level of oxygen. At low altitude it is a pilot’s decision to make. In combat, I think you are correct.

• ED Team

For the purpose of the SIM the mask is on at all times. We do not have a mask off state.

Oxygen should be left on and set full.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

What I’ve understood if not in combat, it is to be worn at higher altitudes as there is low level of oxygen. At low altitude it is a pilot’s decision to make. In combat, I think you are correct.

Nah, in any high performance aircraft exygen shall be worn at all times. Whether pilots actually follow the regs is a different story.

"Chops"

the cockpit is pressurized, so the mask is for that moment when bullets smash your canopy or some leakage at high altitude

Just to follow up on this as I don't think this was addressed:

The cockpit is pressurised, but not to the same level as say, an airliner.

An airliner will keep cabin altitude below 10,000ft throughout the flight, regardless of aircraft altitude.

The F/A-18 (like many other combat aircraft) does not. Cabin altitude climbs above 10,000ft at a real altitude of 28,000ft, reaching 16,000ft at a real altitude of 40,000ft. No enough to keep you brain ticking over, if at all.

Although I'm no authority, I suspect the reason for this is to strike a balance between low pressure (minimising the damage caused by explosive decompression), and high pressure (providing some pressurisation, probably more to prevent decompression sickness, as much as air to breathe).

Just to follow up on this as I don't think this was addressed:

The cockpit is pressurised, but not to the same level as say, an airliner.

An airliner will keep cabin altitude below 10,000ft throughout the flight, regardless of aircraft altitude.

The F/A-18 (like many other combat aircraft) does not. Cabin altitude climbs above 10,000ft at a real altitude of 28,000ft, reaching 16,000ft at a real altitude of 40,000ft. No enough to keep you brain ticking over, if at all.

Although I'm no authority, I suspect the reason for this is to strike a balance between low pressure (minimising the damage caused by explosive decompression), and high pressure (providing some pressurisation, probably more to prevent decompression sickness, as much as air to breathe).

Even at 18k cabin alt, it's not a big deal. I've done it more than once weather flying a skydive aircraft or skydiving in general. You probably wouldn't want to be up there for 30 min or so, but you aren't going to pass out either.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Even at 18k cabin alt, it's not a big deal. I've done it more than once weather flying a skydive aircraft or skydiving in general. You probably wouldn't want to be up there for 30 min or so, but you aren't going to pass out either.

Fair enough! Might depend on the person? It guess it wouldn't do much for mental function even if you remain conscious!

Fair enough! Might depend on the person? It guess it wouldn't do much for mental function even if you remain conscious!

It's not even noticeably at 18k. Maybe after 30 min or so you may get a headache or something, but that's about it. Technically speaking, you're required to wear oxygen at all times flying above 14,500 cabin alt, but...

Edited by BSS_Sniper

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

There are many reasons why fighter pilots wear the mask from to to td. The obvious reason is to survive. You brain really gets slow the further you go up, and that is obviously dangerous if you are in a plane fast like a bullet.

I had the chance to do hypoxia training back in flight school in the swiss af and never will forget the lesson learned. Already above 10`000ft your (brain-) work is slowing down rapidly and doing your math or pilot tasks is getting difficult. But you feel good and you do not realise that you are in trouble, (unless you got the proper awareness training). Your lethargy grows with the altitude, the flight-medics in the chamber had to push me all the time so that I did, or better tried to do my tasks. At 25`000ft I finally past out. As soon as I got oxygen, my brain recovered extremely quickly and my skin changed color back from pale blue to standard.

It is called oxygen system but actually what you normally get thru the mask is breathable air. If your suffer from air sickness or you need to recover quickly, we could switch to 100% oxygen. That smells a bit strange but it may help.

There is also the intercom and radio mic in the mask..., and it may help to survive an ejection... For all those reasons it was mandatory to wear the mask in fighter jets during the whole flight.

Watch this link....

Also pulling g's ..you want as much oxygen as possible.

F-22 fleet was grounded due to faulty oxygen system.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/22-raptor-grounded-oxygen-scare/story?id=14802706

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]