Need new Throttle and stick with twist axis. Recommendations please

parxuk

As per the thread title, I would like to replace my ageing (and not very good anyway) Saitek X52 pro.

I don't have room for pedals, so ideally need a stick with twist axis.

Any recommendations please?

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I have an X56 I was going to throw on eBay, drop me a PM if interested.

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Pravus - thanks but the X56 may be a bit too much like my X52. I have been trying to do air to air refueling recently and that centre spring is a real pain and produces so much stiction is doesnt allow very precise movements. I have managed to overcome it by using custom curves and deadzones, but it still isnt perfect.

boedha68 - appreciate the thoughts, but I do love all the buttons on the X52, and that thrustmaster doesnt seem to have as many options.

Ant0ine - worried to say just in case my wife sees this post, but I would happily pay Virpil or VKB prices for the right stick. I emailed Virpil this morning and now know that the warBRD, VFX and Constellation all offer a twist axis, unfortunately none of those grips look ideal for the Hornet or Viper.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Ant0ine - worried to say just in case my wife sees this post, but I would happily pay Virpil or VKB prices for the right stick. I emailed Virpil this morning and now know that the warBRD, VFX and Constellation all offer a twist axis, unfortunately none of those grips look ideal for the Hornet or Viper.

What do you think about the SCG PRO (Kosmosima)? It have similar (and more) button layout than the A10 grip. So I guess no problem to map the Hornet on it.

And it have twist.

Edit to add : The MCG PRO have even more, but no twist option yet. There is a twist adapter in the work.. No idea when when it will be available.

Edit to add : Also if Hornet and Viper are your things.. Keep an eyes on WinWing Hotas (Twist module in option). Today they ship tester units. And they've said they'll work on a F16 hotas IIRC.

Edited by Ant0ine

Pravus - thanks but the X56 may be a bit too much like my X52. I have been trying to do air to air refueling recently and that centre spring is a real pain and produces so much stiction is doesnt allow very precise movements. I have managed to overcome it by using custom curves and deadzones, but it still isnt perfect.

Save yourself some dosh and slap silicon grease round your rim and shaft.

Mine is as smooth as my bum. :thumbup:

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Logitech 3D PRO, Hotas X, T.16000M, Saitek X-52/PRO, X-56 has twist but with cheap potentiometer = worn out with use = spikes = "run, Forest, run". :)

So:

VKB Gladiator Mk.II (~$100) has twist with VKB MaRS contactless sensor.

VKB SCG Kosmosima grip has embed twist with VKB MaRS contactless sensor.

VPC (VirPIl) WarBRD grip has embed twist with VPC contacless sensor.

VPC (VirPIl) Constellation grip has embed twist with VPC contacless sensor.

Announced VPC (VirPil) V.F.X (F-14'ish) grip has embed twist with VPC contacless sensor.

Announced VPC (VirPil) Alpha ("Alien") grip has embed twist with VPC contacless sensor.

Ant0ine - Thanks, i'm going to have a look at that one. It looks good.

Holbeach, my stick is well lubed (if you know what i mean). It was an improvement but I still find it not as precise as I would like. Its also showing its age with the rubber coating peeling off, and some of the axis getting very twitchy as well as a bit of throttle creep.

Sokl1_br, thanks for the comprehensive list. I want to have a closer look at the Alien when its released

but I still find it not as precise as I would like. Its also showing its age with the rubber coating peeling off, and some of the axis getting very twitchy as well as a bit of throttle creep.

I think you've found enough reasons there, to convince your wife, you need a new stick. We've all done it. :megalol:

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..