Uncontrolled option for multiplayer aircraft

Furia

Hi all.

Does anyone know if there would be possible to use the „option“ or „concept“ of having playable aircraft parked empty with no pilot on the ramp until a human player select that aircraft in the multiplayer lobby and jumps into it?

Something similar to what happens with AI when we set the aircraft as „uncontrolled“ and then create the contidion to become controllable or active and the AI pilot just spawns in and start up engines.

My idea is to be able to have visible and parked over the designated parking slots all „playable“ aircraft and before a pilot can jump on it in multiplyer,

Funny thing is that the „uncontrollable“ options is available for player or client aircraft but when I create an aircraft with that option and I select this aircraft during a multiplayer session, I can only see the aircraft from outside.

This feature would be specially great in carriers or other congested airports and would be even interesting to allow that aircraft to be destrioyed by the enemy on the ground unoccupied.

I have not seen any condition on the ME that „detects“ when a human pilot tries to jump in an specific airframe

Does anyone have any idea if this would be doable and we can have client aricraft visually parked on the ramp befire a human pilot takes over?

Thank!! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Anway this is the kind of feature it should not take much effor for ED to implement and will add a nice inmersion and playability.

In in a mission we do have 10 slots of airplanes the scenario creator could chose to have thos aircraft to actually be seen on the ramp as parked aircraft before a human pilot jumps in.

This would populate air bases and ships and also will allow in som scenarios to destroy enemy asets if they are not being flown.

If this is working nicely with AI and the "uncontrolled function" I do not see whay it should not work with client aircraft as well.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the necro, but I'm trying to figure this out myself.

Is there a simple script that can be run to deactivate a static aircraft using the "unit alive" trigger?

Then I would use unit alive to trigger the script to remove the static. I've tried the only one available in the vanilla editor, which is unit explode, but that obviously blows up my newly occupied aircraft along with it...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Maybe this fits your case?

U6qKNoilC3w

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a way to adapt this to client aircraft. I am hoping to have static or uncontrolled AI aircraft occupying the parking spots for client aircraft, until someone spawns into the client spot, at which point they will occupy / replace the static aircraft in the spot.

What we need is a group deactivate command that works for statics. It exists for AI, but even an uncontrolled AI in the spot is not possible as I can’t place them in the same spot as a client aircraft.

Edit: There is even a static activate command... How about static deactivate? Can I do this via a script?

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I think I figured it out.

Once: Unit alive (client unit) - do script StaticObject.getByName( 'static' ):destroy()

I've only tested once or twice so far, but it seems like the static disappears soon enough not to cause damage to the client aircraft. More testing required, but it's progress.

I think I figured it out.

Once: Unit alive (client unit) - do script StaticObject.getByName( 'static' ):destroy()

I've only tested once or twice so far, but it seems like the static disappears soon enough not to cause damage to the client aircraft. More testing required, but it's progress.

Thanks for sharing ... will give it a try ... until now I had only edited SP missions, but with the Dedicated Server feature I 'm now getting interested on editing MP missions as well :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Yeah, in that trigger, "client unit" is the unit name the player will occupy, and 'static' is the name given to the static object in the ME.

After more testing, it's a no go.

For some aircraft (A10) it seems to work, but others ( F/A-18 ) immediately explode. I think there's a microsecond crossover where both exist in the same location at the same time (the time it takes for the trigger to action).

What I need is a way to delay the spawning of the client aircraft ever so slightly, to give time for the static to be removed...

After more testing, it's a no go.

What I need is a way to delay the spawning of the client aircraft ever so slightly, to give time for the static to be removed...

Yes, but you are onto something there .. if the trigger is like this:

Once: On Take Control - No condition - do script StaticObject.getByName( 'static' ):destroy()

Then it works fine (I tried with the F-18 ), IF you select the client corresponding to that static ... so the ON TAKE CONTROL trigger does act before you are put on the aircraft, and thus the destroy occurs before the client spawn ... what is needed is a way to incorporate into your script a logic test that determines WHICH aircraft was taken control of (so we can destroy the correct static) :)

I dont know enough scripting, but it should be possible to do (I think) :D

Edited by Rudel_chw

Yes, but you are onto something there .. if the trigger is like this:

Once: On Take Control - No condition - do script StaticObject.getByName( 'static' ):destroy()

Then it works fine (I tried with the F-18 ), IF you select the client corresponding to that static ... so the ON TAKE CONTROL trigger does act before you are put on the aircraft, and thus the destroy occurs before the client spawn ... what is needed is a way to incorporate into your script a logic test that determines WHICH aircraft was taken control of (so we can destroy the correct static) :)

I dont know enough scripting, but it should be possible to do (I think) :D

Hmmm.... Good point. Unfortunately my scripting is even less developed (this was my first script ever!). Though I think the problem we'll run into there is, in order to identify which aircraft the player spawns into, the player still needs to spawn into it first - before the script can destroy the static.

I've been experimenting with having the client aircraft spawn in immortal, then after a 5 second delay have the immortality removed, but the static still blows up and now you are just stuck in a fireball, LOL. I don't know of a way (yet) to make a static immortal...

Edit: I have found this script to set immortal:

SetImmortal = {

id = 'SetImmortal',

params = {

value = boolean

}

}

But I do not know where to put the variables. Is 'setimmortal' where I put the unit name that I want immortal? is Boolean where I set true or false?

Edit2: it seems this script may not work on statics... back to the drawing board!

Edited by Sandman1330

The better way to have done all this is if we could have taken control via CTRL-J in Combined arms, which you can do for flying and all sorts of cool tasks but what happens is on taking control you explode in an MP environment. I wrote a bug report, wrote a ticket and it's quickly "cant reproduce" and onwards.

I mean, why just have client as an uncontrolled aircraft when you can script it to hell like the AI versions and do all that and more, including spawning client slots and such.

Sadly no one recognises the potential of this so it gets ignored time after time and there are just repeat calls of lessor solutions like how to spawn a client slot, how to spawn a carrier with slots, how to have uncontrolled client slots, how to ... etc.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

... Sadly no one recognises the potential of this so it gets ignored time after time and there are just repeat calls of lessor solutions like how to spawn a client slot, how to spawn a carrier with slots, how to have uncontrolled client slots, how to ... etc.

Agree .. I found that the ON TAKE CONTROL event doesnt work on multiplayer, so I've opted for the alternative of having a static aircraft just in fornt of the client aircraft .. it doesnt look pretty because the spawned clients dont align with the statics of the still empty slots .. but is better than an almost empty ramp :(

Too bad there’s no workaround. With everything else in development, I expect this would be very low down the priority list, with no fix soon.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guys, I've been working on this script for the last couple of days, try it out!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3979600&postcount=23

It works like a charm in SP

It basically handles static aircraft spawn/removal depending on which clients are active. It's pretty neat :thumbup:

For me, the statics revive every 10 seconds and form the floor

Specialization A-10C

https://vbw304.pl/

For me, the statics revive every 10 seconds and form the floor

¿Like this?

n5dfJo2.jpg

Yes .. the early versions of Hardcard's Script had this issue, but he has kept refining and improving it, while I've been helping to test it on a MP environment and it works much better now ... for example, these are two of Apache600's MP missions with Hardcard's script added:

5jbykLI.jpg

Vl2lcXv.jpg

I expect that the Script will be fully developed soon and @Hardcard will share it with the DCS Community ... it really enhances the MP's mission a lot :)

Best regards