Point'n'Click VS. Keyboard Shortcuts

Hey guys,

I have just read a post saying that point'n'click DCS game style makes your flight easier; however, I know for the fact that star craft geeks, for example, who were the winners o all the World Cyber Games championships, used keyboard shortcuts with impossible speed, therefore, making themselves the winners. My point is that some people love keyboard shortcuts + using them properly will definitely increase your skill, making you a much harder target, compared to using point'n'nclick style. On the other hand, you will love much more to use point'n'click if you don't plan to go for the absolute hardcore, and just want to be a casual pilot. In conclusion, this is a matter of personal choice.

What do you think? Please, share your opinions.

If you don't want to read this huge text: Point'n'Click VS. Keyboard Shortcuts. Who will win?

2. The DCS MOVIE information!

4. REAL UFO FOOTAGE

I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days, and doesn't die

government: gives me money because of coronavirus

me: spends all money on the missing DCS modules

government: ... you dumbo! We won't give you money anymore

me: It's ok. I don't need anything else - I now have the entire DCS collection

my cat: looking at the empty bowl for a while and goes back to sleep

me: it's hard times, Mig, suck it up!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tend to have almost every function mapped to some control so in a way I guess that is keyboard shortcuts. The only point and click I really do is for startup and a few less important tasks in the air.

Now when it comes to actual combat, I don't think there will be much of a difference. Pretty much all your controls needed for combat are on the HOTAS so unless you just have a basic stick, you are not pointing and clicking at all. It is all about flying ability and combat maneuvers, not who can press controls the fastest. This isn't a real time strategy game.

As far as I see it, the only time you need the speed of keyboard (which is still slower than HOTAS), would be in A2A engagements, and those aircraft can't use point/click anyways, so what's the issue?

For my FC3 jets, I put all my commonly used controls on HOTAS, and rarely touch the keyboard.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Keyboard? Macros?.

I have a HOTAS, Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFD's and a USB Keypad for a UFC.

I NEVER touch the keyboard and I only click the cockpit on start up and Weapons arming.

My systems are set up before I leave the ground after that my hands are on the HOTAS. You really shouldnt have to use a keyboard or click anything in the pit once you have started your engagement.

Oh and for hardcore I would think that a clickable cockpit would be more immersive, clicking exactly where the switches would be in real life. Macros and quick keys are more of a RTS thing I believe.

The keyboard is your controller of last resort in a flight sim. If your hand is on the keyboard it is not on the throttle/stick.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Keyboard? Macros?.

I have a HOTAS, Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFD's and a USB Keypad for a UFC.

I NEVER touch the keyboard and I only click the cockpit on start up and Weapons arming.

My systems are set up before I leave the ground after that my hands are on the HOTAS. You really shouldnt have to use a keyboard or click anything in the pit once you have started your engagement.

Oh and for hardcore I would think that a clickable cockpit would be more immersive, clicking exactly where the switches would be in real life. Macros and quick keys are more of a RTS thing I believe.

Hi Drippy, what keypad are you using for UFC? I just bought Logitech G13, but it is not recognized by game, so I have to map keys with Logitech profiler. The problem is that UFC keys don't have Keyboard keystrokes, thus can't be used in G13 profiler. Could you please share if you know how to bind UFC keys to G13?

Hi Drippy, what keypad are you using for UFC? I just bought Logitech G13, but it is not recognized by game, so I have to map keys with Logitech profiler. The problem is that UFC keys don't have Keyboard keystrokes, thus can't be used in G13 profiler. Could you please share if you know how to bind UFC keys to G13?

You have to assign keystrokes if you wish to use the G13 that way. That is the only way the G13 can function with the sim since it cannot send out DX button ids like a joystick does.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thank you Cichlidfan. Did not think that keyboard shortcuts can be edited in the game. So now it's easy. I just managed to double my other devices button assignments by exporting HTML of existing settings. Well, let's start again. I found recent post regarding to this problem. By the way I love that G13.

Assigning your own short cuts allows the G13, or any programmable keypad/keyboard, to be used for many things. The G13 just happens to be just the right size to attach to a kneeboard. ;)