Trim Wheels - turn/deflection ratio ?

PeterP

Can someone of the testers tell me how many times I have to turn the appropriate trim-wheel to get a 10° deflection reading on the scales ?

I want to build a trim-wheel box with working scales like on the attached image, and I heave to know the correct ratio to get the right gears - so that my build will react the same like the trim-wheels in the simulation.

BTW- The stick is already finished DIY P-51D style grip for HOTAS Cougar

trim-box.jpg

Edited by PeterP

FWIW, I investigated same subject in the maintenance manual. Nothing definitive said and the drawings are not clear, but my final conclusion was that I'd guess at direct linkage between aileron and rudder trim knobs and pointers, with gearing (of unknown ratio) on the elevator trim.

I'm also interested in data on the implementation!

Funny, doesn't look like a C model, and when they showed a closeup of the model type on the fuselage, it said P-51-B-10NA. Look at 1:30. It's right there. If it were the C model, it would have a bubble canopy. As well, I'm pretty sure he says that this plane was built in 1942, at which point C models weren't built till, iirc, 1943.

makes no sense!

Windows 7 64bit

AMD FX 8350 4.0GHZ

16BG Ram

EVGA Geforce 760 GTX 2GB

TP-51C, it's a dual-controlled P-51C. Not all B/C's had the bubble (or Malcolm Hood) fitted, some retained their 'birdcage" side-hinged canopies.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Can someone of the testers tell me how many times I have to turn the appropriate trim-wheel to get a 10° deflection reading on the scales ?

I want to build a trim-wheel box with working scales like on the attached image, and I heave to know the correct ratio to get the right gears - so that my build will react the same like the trim-wheels in the simulation.

Currently it takes one full turn of the trim wheel to move the needle 10 degrees. Of course, the model is WIP and this may change in the future.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Currently it takes one full turn of the trim wheel to move the needle 10 degrees. Of course, the model is WIP and this may change in the future.

Many thanks for giving this info - that sounds reasonable!

(and also reflects my research in other simulations and web sources)

:)

So I will build it that I will have a minimum of two turns at the aileron/rudder wheel and a minimum of 4.5 for the elevator. Fine adjustments will be done with the axis-tune panel.

• 2 weeks later...
nope. same airplane. Disappointing that not only the commentator got wrong, but the individual flying it. *sigh*

I flew that very plane in the video. It is a P-51C. The "B" label on the fuselage is actually just part of the Paint Scheme they're using.

Off of the foundations website:

"One of the most famous of these modified two seat fighters was used by Dwight Eisenhower and was named “The Stars Look Down”. Ike rode in the back seat of that Mustang over the beaches of Normandy to direct the invasion during D-Day"

The Collings Foundation is a great group of pilots and staff. The P-51 flight is highly recommended :thumbup:.

We pulled 6.5gs and did a bunch of aerobatic maneuvers, even logged the time in my actual log book. :pilotfly:

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Carrier Group 1 - Battlegroup Delta

Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass!

-Commander Ron "Mugs" McKeown, USN

Commander, U.S. Navy Fighter Weapons School

2 Victories, Vietnam

Nope I was to busy grinning from ear to ear.

I thought I'd add the tid bit about the paint scheme, because I asked the same question. That brought back to many memories to not share.

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Carrier Group 1 - Battlegroup Delta

Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass!

-Commander Ron "Mugs" McKeown, USN

Commander, U.S. Navy Fighter Weapons School

2 Victories, Vietnam