outTextForGroup in zone?

maverickturner

I'm having trouble understanding how to properly send outText messages to specific players. I've disseminated quite a few scripts but still can't get my head around it. For this example, I am trying to display a message to only the player aircraft that would be in the zone.

I know I'm doing something wrong here and was hoping someone could help me understand this better.

Note- I have each client AC as its own group.

local BLUE_Timer_Abu_Dhabi = trigger.misc.getUserFlag(800)
local RED_Timer_Abu_Dhabi = trigger.misc.getUserFlag(900)
local BLUE_units_Abu_Dhabi = mist.makeUnitTable({'[blue][plane]'})
local RED_units_Abu_Dhabi = mist.makeUnitTable({'[red][plane]'})
local capture_zone = {'Abu Dhabi Capture'}
local BLUE_units_in_zone = mist.getUnitsInZones(BLUE_units_Abu_Dhabi, capture_zone, 'cylinder')
local RED_units_in_zone = mist.getUnitsInZones(RED_units_Abu_Dhabi, capture_zone, 'cylinder')
local BLUE_Countdown = 240 - BLUE_Timer_Abu_Dhabi
local RED_Countdown = 240 - RED_Timer_Abu_Dhabi
do
for i = 1, #BLUE_units_in_zone do
local ClientGroupID = BLUE_units_in_zone:GetClientGroupID()
trigger.action.outTextForGroup(ClientGroupID, "Capturing airbase. " ..BLUE_Countdown.. " seconds remaining", 1)
end
end

I think it mixing up a moose function with functionality within mist. For instance GetClientGroupID() is a moose function. But the mist.getUnitsInZones just returns a list of unit objects, which as far as I am aware does not return any object that works with moose. It works with the default scripting functionality though.

So you'd have to iterate the table and get each units group Id like the following:

for i, uObject in pairs(BLUE_units_in_zone) do
   local clientGroupId = Unit.getGroup(uObject):getID()
   trigger.action.outTextForGroup(ClientGroupID, "Capturing airbase. " ..BLUE_Countdown.. " seconds remaining", 1)
end

Alternatively you can cross reference it with the mist databases.

local clientGroupId = mist.DBs.humansByName[unit.getName(uObject)].groupId
end

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I think it mixing up a moose function with functionality within mist. For instance GetClientGroupID() is a moose function. But the mist.getUnitsInZones just returns a list of unit objects, which as far as I am aware does not return any object that works with moose. It works with the default scripting functionality though.

So you'd have to iterate the table and get each units group Id like the following:

local clientGroupId = Unit.getGroup(uObject):getID()
end

Alternatively you can cross reference it with the mist databases.

local clientGroupId = mist.DBs.humansByName[unit.getName(uObject)].groupId
end

Sorry for the late reply Gries but thank you. This was very helpful in helping me understand some key ideas.