FAQ Updates and Discussion

NineLine

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
I've installed dcs openbeta 2.5.1 but i can't install F18 module. Why? Please help me.

Hi

it is not released yet,

a preview build for press and youtubers is currently out.

A public version will be coming soon

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi ED,

Will the catapult steam and tires on wet ground water splash make it to early access?

Thanks in advance!!!

I just saw RedKite's video. The catapult steam is already implemented. :thumbup:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I am hearing mixed information on what will be required for the F18 module pre release. The Module pre release says it available for early access by end of Spring. It also says 2.5 is required which is all good (I purchased the pre release the day it came out) however there are others saying that you will need the 2.5 Beta. This seems contradictory.

• ED Team
I am hearing mixed information on what will be required for the F18 module pre release. The Module pre release says it available for early access by end of Spring. It also says 2.5 is required which is all good (I purchased the pre release the day it came out) however there are others saying that you will need the 2.5 Beta. This seems contradictory.

releases tend to hit the beta branch first, it is the public test branch where ED can evaluate a build before pushing it to release branch.

if you have room you can install both if you wish

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You need the 2.5 beta as the aircraft will first release there, the DCS 2.5 Requirement is there so people dont think they're gonna add it to the old 1.5.8 or older versions. But it shouldnt take too long to make it to the stable branch.

releases tend to hit the beta branch first, it is the public test branch where ED can evaluate a build before pushing it to release branch.

if you have room you can install both if you wish

That's is very unclear on the pre purchase which is very disappointing.

I was hopeful to have it this month but guess I will be waiting. Our group has a policy of not using BETA for MP and I don't fly solo.

Thanks for the reply.

It will come to OB first and when they feel comfortable with its state it will be moved to Stable (still EA) and every update will be on OB first.....

How hard is it to grasp this concept, pretty sure most of you guys are not here for the first time. It is logical, you will get it ...

Besides I don't know why you wouldn't want to have the Beta.... You get the latest updates first, can help out with bugs and can always revert to the stable patch....

Damn...

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• ED Team
That's is very unclear on the pre purchase which is very disappointing.

I was hopeful to have it this month but guess I will be waiting. Our group has a policy of not using BETA for MP and I don't fly solo.

Thanks for the reply.

It is an early access build, so is still W.I.P when its pushed to public build, the beta branch would be the obvious choice, but we will have to wait and see.

I assumed you would need 2.5 which I have it doesn't mention BETA in the pre purchase.

All new modules release to the latest build at the time of the release so if open beta has a more advanced version number than release that is where it will be, sometimes beta and release versions are the same version number, but again we will have to wait and see.

version numbers can be checked here http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Besides I don't know why you wouldn't want to have the Beta.... You get the latest updates first, can help out with bugs and can always revert to the stable patch....

You're being very unreasonable here, and downright rude. Just 2 posts before yours he gives an excellent reason NOT to run OB..

Our group has a policy of not using BETA for MP

Things often break in OB, that's why it's called beta, so people can test and report bugs. If you're trying to run a MP session for multiple people, who take their time every week to show up at a certain time, you can't just say 'sorry xyz broke this week so no session'.

People also don't check in every day on the forum like you, me and others here, I myself was a bit surprised how long 2.5 stayed on the OB branch, and probably rightfully so, but someone running a server and a community might've expected differently. Same thing applies for the Hornet. :smilewink:

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

It will come to OB first and when they feel comfortable with its state it will be moved to Stable (still EA) and every update will be on OB first.....

How hard is it to grasp this concept, pretty sure most of you guys are not here for the first time. It is logical, you will get it ...

Damn...

Really then why post that its available for end of spring in 2.5 Stable? Right on the purchase page and actual this is my first pre purchase of a module

Damn...

The reason we don't use the beta as we play multi player all the time and it has made it so we basically could not fly together. Not all of us have rigs with room for both.

You're being very unreasonable here, and downright rude. Just 2 posts before yours he gives an excellent reason NOT to run OB..

Things often break in OB, that's why it's called beta, so people can test and report bugs. If you're trying to run a MP session for multiple people, who take their time every week to show up at a certain time, you can't just say 'sorry xyz broke this week so no session'.

People also don't check in every day on the forum like you, me and others here, I myself was a bit surprised how long 2.5 stayed on the OB branch, and probably rightfully so, but someone running a server and a community might've expected differently. Same thing applies for the Hornet. :smilewink:

Thanks Lithion you nailed it right on the head! I have built a Server in a Data Center and virtualized a DCS install for others to play on they expect it to work. I understand Beta as I write code for a bank. If I played single player and flew on my own I would have no trouble using Beta but thats not the case.

You don't need both, switching between versions is easy. Hey I get it, you guys want to only fly stable, that is okay. But please don't make it sound as if that is not a problem of your own making.

There is multiple ways to change between versions, one easier than the other, there is even tools with interface that do that for you. OB releases first has been this way for a long time, maybe stop beating a dead horse. :)

You don't need both, switching between versions is easy. Hey I get it, you guys want to only fly stable, that is okay. But please don't make it sound as if that is not a problem of your own making.

There is multiple ways to change between versions, one easier than the other, there is even tools with interface that do that for you. OB releases first has been this way for a long time, maybe stop beating a dead horse. :)

Sorry if it sounds that way I am excited for the F18 and appreciate all the hard work going into it. I didnt expect a jet to have go into BETA as I (maybe wrongly assumed) it shouldn't affect the game. When I purchased early access for end of May on 2.5 Stable I assumed at the very least the if it went to BETA it would be prior to the posted end of Spring date. I just think that this is misleading and hope in the future they will try and be clearer. I will obviously wait.

"Requires DCS World version 2.5!

The Hornet is a true multi-role fighter that can switch from attacking surface targets to engaging air targets with the press of a button. Equally at home on an aircraft carrier or airfield, the Hornet is equipped with a large suite of sensors that include radar, target pod, and a helmet mounted sight. In addition to its internal 20mm cannon, the Hornet can be armed with large assortment of unguided bombs and rockets, laser- and -GPS-guided bombs, air-to-surface missiles of all sorts, and both radar- and infrared-guided air-to-air missiles.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet is planned to be available for download as Early Access by the end of Spring 2018."

I will leave it at that :) - needed to voice my opinion :)

Edited by Montrose

Yea it will be available at the end of May and no where in that quote does it say in the "stable" .

It is a no brainer to have it in the beta first

Don't know why do you think that beta means broken. I play Beta MP all the time and have no issues.

70%+ of the times, the beta runs better and it has the fixes for the stable.

By having the beta you only get flexible as not only do you have the patches first, but you can revert at any time to a stable without issues.

If you don't want to play the beta that it is your choice and you will have to wait week or two to get it to stable. Nothing will happen to you in that time and the Hornet will be available.

The fact that you refuse to play the beta is completely up to you and it is beyond me what your "rational" reasoning can be. If you want to push an EA Beta product to a release version of the game.... Well, I don't think I have to comment on that.

The fact that an EA product will even reach release before it is finished is something people should be thankful. It is what it is.

No further comment from me

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Yea it will be available at the end of May and no where in that quote does it say in the "stable" .

It is a no brainer to have it in the beta first

Don't know why do you think that beta means broken. I play Beta MP all the time and have no issues.

70%+ of the times, the beta runs better and it has the fixes for the stable.

By having the beta you only get flexible as not only do you have the patches first, but you can revert at any time to a stable without issues.

If you don't want to play the beta that it is your choice and you will have to wait week or two to get it to stable. Nothing will happen to you in that time and the Hornet will be available.

The fact that you refuse to play the beta is completely up to you and it is beyond me what your "rational" reasoning can be. If you want to push an EA Beta product to a release version of the game.... Well, I don't think I have to comment on that.

The fact that an EA product will even reach release before it is finished is something people should be thankful. It is what it is.

No further comment from me

LOL 2.5 is Stable 2.5 Beta is 2.5 Beta. Its a plane not a game so no need to go to Beta and because in order to switch I have to update 2 servers and 6 pilots installs to different versions. Its fine if you don't get it you don't have to.

Thanks for your opinion

PS I got my answer it was just really not clear so now dumb me understands that 2.5 will always mean Beta

This is my last post on the subject and I apologize for letting my anger get the better of me. The anger was not over Beta vs non Beta. I have never been involved in a pre-release of a plane in DCS before and in all of the other games/SIMS I participate in only new versions of the games not the aircraft or ships were Beta so I honestly did not know or understand this wasn't the case in DCS. My anger came from those who assumed everyone should know this or they are dumb. This was not a slight on anyone and certainly not DCS other than in the future it should be made clearer when paying for a product that pre release means Beta. The DCS community is growing with new pilots as a result of all the hard work ED is doing which will benefit the community but to say its a given with new pilots is wrong.

PS I am excited about what 2018 and 2019 have in store for us! Thanks ED for the amazing SIM

• ED Team
Sorry if it sounds that way I am excited for the F18 and appreciate all the hard work going into it. I didnt expect a jet to have go into BETA as I (maybe wrongly assumed) it shouldn't affect the game. When I purchased early access for end of May on 2.5 Stable I assumed at the very least the if it went to BETA it would be prior to the posted end of Spring date. I just think that this is misleading and hope in the future they will try and be clearer. I will obviously wait.

"Requires DCS World version 2.5!

The Hornet is a true multi-role fighter that can switch from attacking surface targets to engaging air targets with the press of a button. Equally at home on an aircraft carrier or airfield, the Hornet is equipped with a large suite of sensors that include radar, target pod, and a helmet mounted sight. In addition to its internal 20mm cannon, the Hornet can be armed with large assortment of unguided bombs and rockets, laser- and -GPS-guided bombs, air-to-surface missiles of all sorts, and both radar- and infrared-guided air-to-air missiles.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet is planned to be available for download as Early Access by the end of Spring 2018."

I will leave it at that :) - needed to voice my opinion :)

Yes you wrongly assumed.

Release and beta are both versions of 2.5, like I have already mentioned it will first go to the latest version of 2.5, ED does not release new products to old versions, it has never worked that way.

Yes you wrongly assumed.

Release and beta are both versions of 2.5, like I have already mentioned it will first go to the latest version of 2.5, ED does not release new products to old versions, it has never worked that way.

Roger :)

Never assumed I was correct in my assumption that just as a new pilot it was unclear. I appreciated your original answer as it was not rude. My mistake was to express my disappointment for my assumption being wrong.

Hope to see you in the skies :) and thanks again!

Edited by Montrose

Never assumed I was correct in my assumption that just as a new pilot it was unclear. I appreciated your original answer as it was not rude. My mistake was to express my disappointment for my assumption being wrong.

It's always difficult to find the true meaning and tone behind a piece of text on a forum, stuff like this happens. In the end (even though I knew myself and also fly OB all the time) I agree with you that it should just say 'available for download at the end of Spring 2018 on the 2.5 Open Beta', so that new pilots, whom are definately coming now that the F-18 is very close, know exactly what they can expect.

Just a friendly piece of feedback for the amazing ED Team :thumbup:

Edited by MrDieing

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• ED Team

Dont worry, your disappointment wont be for to long, once you get to fly her you will enjoy the experience. I have been :)