Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

Another modern aircraft this year before the Tomcat, possibly with air-ground radar, possibly with a Duck nickname. I am completely lost :)

Well hell, that quote is definitely throwing me off now. So of the two only one is going to be WWII. Cobra showed an (apparently) F4U Corsair cockpit in the teaser image. Then again, an icon for a Japanese WWII plane (apparently a Raidan) was seen on Rudel's stream and he's sporting the avatar of an anime about the designer of the WWII Zero (who also designed the Raiden) which would seem to match the Imperial Japanese flag in the teaser.

So now the question is which one will be the WWII prop and what is that modern one going to be. LN was as subtle as a nuclear bomb when it came to the Tomcat but now I gotta wonder if we got trolled a bit on the WWII stuff. I have no idea now what WWII plane we will get from them since now it seems the other unannounced is apparently a modern plane. And how modern is the other plane. Guess we'll have to just keep beating our heads until they tell us this month or next.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Well hell, that quote is definitely throwing me off now. So of the two only one is going to be WWII. Cobra showed an (apparently) F4U Corsair cockpit in the teaser image. Then again, an icon for a Japanese WWII plane (apparently a Raidan) was seen on Rudel's stream and he's sporting the avatar of an anime about the designer of the WWII Zero (who also designed the Raiden) which would seem to match the Imperial Japanese flag in the teaser.

So now the question is which one will be the WWII prop and what is that modern one going to be. LN was as subtle as a nuclear bomb when it came to the Tomcat but now I gotta wonder if we got trolled a bit on the WWII stuff. I have no idea now what WWII plane we will get from them since now it seems the other unannounced is apparently a modern plane. And how modern is the other plane. Guess we'll have to just keep beating our heads until they tell us this month or next.

Well nothing says they can't be working on BOTH the Zero and the Corsair but maybe don't know which one will be finalized first.. So they show both of them and confuse the hell out of all of us...

Still NO CLUE on a more modern plane though.. Does the Flogger have a ground radar?

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Another modern aircraft this year before the Tomcat, possibly with air-ground radar, possibly with a Duck nickname. I am completely lost :)

Duck, modern and A2G radar? I would guess the A-6E, though it seems somewhat complex to be developed in parallel with the Tomcat. Would be awesome to have them both, though :)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Duck, modern and A2G radar? I would guess the A-6E, though it seems somewhat complex to be developed in parallel with the Tomcat. Would be cool, though :)

The Intruder has a nickname of duck? I never heard that before..

:huh:

RAMBO

The Intruder has a nickname of duck? I never heard that before..

:huh:

Well, the nose is kind of duck-ish (compared to other planes at least) and it had a nickname Double Ugly (DUck)? It's also a Grumman plane which served with the Tomcat so "Cats and Ducks".. Maybe some shared cockpit stuff and some systems.. Not a game, set and match, I know, but I'm open to better guesses if you have any :)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

If it wasn't for the ground radar reference, I would have guessed that the modern plane is the MiG-23BN (simplest possible Russian plane building on established MiG-21 tech, duck-nose).

With regards to the Japan references, we should consider the possibility that these point to AI planes to complement the Corsair.

Well, the nose is kind of duck-ish (compared to other planes at least) and it had a nickname Double Ugly (DUck)? It's also a Grumman plane which served with the Tomcat so "Cats and Ducks".. Maybe some shared cockpit stuff and some systems.. Not a game, set and match, I know, but I'm open to better guesses if you have any :)

Actually not to be difficult but Double Ugly was the nickname (along with Rhino) for the F4 Phantom not the Intruder...

RAMBO

If it wasn't for the ground radar reference, I would have guessed that the modern plane is the MiG-23BN (simplest possible Russian plane building on established MiG-21 tech, duck-nose).

Yes, I've thought about a MiG-27, but they have no radar. Would make more sense as the cockpit could benefit a lot from the MiG-21 development, although the FM development would suffer with the variable-sweep wing.

Actually not to be difficult but Double Ugly was the nickname (along with Rhino) for the F4 Phantom not the Intruder...

I guess you're right; I was misinformed by the Wiki entry on A-6 and this list, too (for the Prowler): http://web.mit.edu/btyung/www/nickname.html

Well, there's still the nose. And this dead giveaway: DrUmstiCK ;)

Edited by Dudikoff

The first production version in ~1971 had A2G radar/avionics/role (even though the airframe was developed as an interceptor) because the need for new strikers was more urgent than for interceptors.

Still NO CLUE on a more modern plane though.. Does the Flogger have a ground radar?

With regards to the Japan references, we should consider the possibility that these point to AI planes to complement the Corsair.

Admittedly we still could be misinterpreting that radar comment. Like someone else pointed out (can't remember who), Cobra didn't say "Air-to-ground" he just said "ground radar". Now I just assumed he meant A2G radar and he very well could have but just didn't bother to add the "air-to" part.

But with so many people talking about GCI with the MiG-21, there is always the possibility that LN could be making an addon allowing people to act as GCI. Making an accurate GCI would certainly involve making new tech. It is a big shot in the dark on that, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. That would then open up the possibilities of other aircraft like the MiG-23 or Su-24. But we still have to also assume he meant A2G radar unless Cobra says otherwise.

As for the flag representing AI Japanese aircraft vs Corsair, sure it's possible now since we have evidence there aren't two WWII planned to be released (at least this year). But I still find it odd for Cobra to have made a teaser image of upcoming products with three images, and while having three products he only hints at two of them. Who knows at this point, I admit they have definitely left me pretty confused. I'm not going to get my hopes up on anything. Especially since the one I really cared about was already announced.

Regardless, with all this guessing and pulling our hair at every hint and comment, Leatherneck Sims be like:

334hs1h.gif

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

The most likely possibilities I currently see for the modern plane:

"Ground radar" means air to ground radar and is included on the modern plane:

1) Su-22M5

2) Su-24

3) Viggen

4) A-6

"Ground radar" means GCI or is intended for something further down the pipe:

1) MiG-23/27

2) MiG-21 modernized

3) MiG-25

4) Su-17/22

I'm almost willing to bet money that it's a Viggen. Wiki entry suggested its radar had some primitive AG function, haven't found details though.

Hello, I'm new here, but long time aviation and Tomcat fan.

I agree that the "modern" other aircraft is a Viggen:

1. It has a Air-to-Ground radar.

2. "Vigg" is Swedish for "Tufted Duck" (Viggen is supposed to mean "Thunderbolt" I think - but is often referred to as the "Duck".

3. The lead designer and "evil corporate overlord" is Swedish and might have a slight affinity for the airplane.

My 2 cents, but seems like a solid guess given the similar hints for the Tomcat. The Viggen is the only airplane that seems to carry the Duck nickname and it fits all the criteria set forth. Plus, it is totally different from anything else in DCS. Would be quite an addition (I'm also a big fan of the Viggen). Wonder if it would have it's own theater or a NTTR/Red Flag campaign?

Best,

Nick

Hello, I'm new here, but long time aviation and Tomcat fan.

I agree that the "modern" other aircraft is a Viggen:

1. It has a Air-to-Ground radar.

2. "Vigg" is Swedish for "Tufted Duck" (Viggen is supposed to mean "Thunderbolt" I think - but is often referred to as the "Duck".

3. The lead designer and "evil corporate overlord" is Swedish and might have a slight affinity for the airplane.

My 2 cents, but seems like a solid guess given the similar hints for the Tomcat. The Viggen is the only airplane that seems to carry the Duck nickname and it fits all the criteria set forth. Plus, it is totally different from anything else in DCS. Would be quite an addition (I'm also a big fan of the Viggen). Wonder if it would have it's own theater or a NTTR/Red Flag campaign?

Best,

Nick

Problem with this is that it doesn't account for the JASDF Flag...

I doubt they would tease a Japanese flag with on their Facebook without showing anything for it, so, if we have the Tomcat, a Corsair and a Viggen the picture on Facebook is wrong.

Likewise Given Rudels avatar, perhaps they are hinting at the "Supersonic Reisen"?

Fits the criteria pretty well, it has Air to Ground radar, is modern, is out of service, meaning that its avionics prolly aren't classified, since they weren't top notch in the first place, was build by Mitsubishi,

Edited by Fer_Fer

Problem with this is that it doesn't account for the JASDF Flag...

I doubt they would tease a Japanese flag with on their Facebook without showing anything for it, so, if we have the Tomcat, a Corsair and a Viggen the picture on Facebook is wrong.

Likewise Given Rudels avatar, perhaps they are hinting at the "Supersonic Reisen"?

Fits the criteria pretty well, it has Air to Ground radar, is modern, is out of service, meaning that its avionics prolly aren't classified, since they weren't top notch in the first place, was build by Mitsubishi,

Could be, explains the flag, but not the "Duck" reference. Not sure about the radar in the Mitsubishi F1, I read that they often relied upon the P-3C for target designation. Might have been an A-G range issue, just haven't confirmed that it had a A-G radar.

Hopefully, we'll find out in April.

-Nick