Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

Thank the gods. I suddenly have the desire to watch that movie though, never seen it or heard of it before. I have a feeling I'm going to regret it.:helpsmilie:

It wasn't very good honestly and IIRC the critics and viewers weren't very enthusiastic either.

Honestly I can't think of a really good helicopter movie, only "Blue Thunder" comes close and only because of Roy Scheider and the ending - but that's subjective, since I rather liked that actor. LOL, I even had a small toy model of the chopper back then which was bought in a normal store in what was seen in the West as just another oppressive, controlled and locked-down Communist country. ;-P

I haven't read it yet, but I hear the book "Gunship Ace" by Al Venter is an interesting read.

....I think it would be a mistake for LNS to do three US planes in a row. I much prefer the alternating approach BST does. It gives something for everyone and keeps things interesting.

This.

Hopefully the Hind - later version of course, not some early like A or D or any that use Falanga (or Mi-28 :D ) and multicrew are in the near future.

The Hind is being done (only in planning stages AFAIK) by Belsimtek. Leatherneck have stated that they are not doing rotary aircraft in the forseable future.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thank the gods. I suddenly have the desire to watch that movie though, never seen it or heard of it before. I have a feeling I'm going to regret it.:helpsmilie:

It's Topgun with Apaches.

It does have impressive cinematography, but other than that it's just a typical late 80s/early 90s action flick.

Where Topgun has an awesome soundtrack, Firebirds has better moments, such as:

-Tommy Lee Jones being cool as hell, which is par for the course for him.

-Nick Cage going apeshit in a simulator. Again, par for the course for him.

-Bert Rhine looking completely bad-ass in a helicopter they dub the Scorpion, which as an MD-500 Defender.

6IfWJ5v.png

Well shot, great practical effects, still.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I watched firebirds last night, typical 80's to early '90's action flick. I thought it was ok though. And yeah, I think Cobra said the next update would be mid April. So maybe sometime this week.

Hmm, I guess that depends on your definition of a typical action flick. I tried watching that movie on several occasions and couldn't stand watching it for more than 15-20 minutes. It is that bad. And I watched through bad movies, but this one is utterly pointless and unwatchable IMHO. But, I like Blue Thunder so I guess it's very subjective.

Now, we're past mid-April so isn't it about time to start pestering LN for the update? It will probably come on the 30th late evening, but still :)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The movie was dumb, but it had its moments. It also helps that I don't find any of the actors in it particularly bad. My main gripe about Top Gun is Tom Cruise. The average Walking Dead zombie extra is a better actor than him. I can't help but cringe at just about everything he spouts on screen regardless of the movie.

The movie was dumb, but it had its moments. It also helps that I don't find any of the actors in it particularly bad. My main gripe about Top Gun is Tom Cruise. The average Walking Dead zombie extra is a better actor than him. I can't help but cringe at just about everything he spouts on screen regardless of the movie.

This is so heavily OT, but Nicolas Cage? Seriously? :) Sean Young was dreadful, too, IIRC.

Don't see why Top Gun is back, but IMHO while Tom Cruise was acting in a very annoying way in the 80's, he has matured since and I have to admit I like a decent number of his movies since mid 90's onwards.

Let's quit while I still have some cred left (hopefully).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

my guess

WARNING long post ahead

my guess for one of the aircraft would be the F-5N. the reasons are

1 the f-5 was used and is still used (now the f-5N) by the agressors force squadron for training pilots in the us navy and would be what a F-14 pilot would likely train against. The agressors squadron is part of the Top Gun school.

2. the agressors force squadron was once based at nellis which we soon will fly over in edge 2.0

3. I think specifically leatherneck will give us the F-5N since it was upgraded with the AN/APG-69 radar that has ground capability which just also happens to be a system ED is working on for the f-18 and edge.

4. all of the other clues we have pointing to an f-5.

So thats my guess for 1 of the aircraft and i think it will be the f-5n variant which also by the way is still in use as an agressor squadron aircraft and is slated to be replaced at the end of this year with something else.

the other clue of duck leads me to believe the other plane will be a WW2 aircraft since that era is the only one with planes referred to as "Duck"

some links and excerpts below supporting my theories

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

"Operational history"

"The F-5 was also adopted as an opposing forces (OPFOR) "aggressor" for dissimilar training role because of its small size and performance similarities to the Soviet MiG-21. In realistic trials at Nellis AFB in 1977, the F-14 reportedly scored slightly better than a 2:1 kill ratio against the simpler F-5, while the F-15 scored slightly less"

"The U.S. Navy used the F-5E extensively at the Naval Fighter Weapons School (TOPGUN) when it was located at NAS Miramar, California."

"The U.S. Navy F-5 fleet continues to be modernized with 36 low-hour F-5E/Fs purchased from Switzerland in 2006. These were updated as F-5N/Fs with modernized avionics and other improved systems. Currently, the only U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps units flying the F-5 are VFC-13 at NAS Fallon, Nevada,..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/APG-69

"Emerson Electric's AN/APG-69 is an X band coherent pulse doppler radar originally designed for the F-20 Tigershark aircraft. Northrop skipped over the APG-69 in favor of the General Electric AN/APG-67 for the F-20 project, but the APG-69 was used by a number of other F-5 operators,..."

"Unlike Emerson's earlier radars, the APG-69 offered a complete suite of air-to-air and air-to-ground modes. The air-to-air modes included velocity search for long-range wide-angle searches, track-while-scan, single target track and dogfight modes that locked onto the closest target. The APG-69 was capable of guiding the AIM-7 Sparrow missile, making it the first of Emerson's offerings to reach production with beyond visual range capability. The air-to-ground modes included Doppler-Beam Sharpening mapping, moving target search and track, and sea-surface-search modes."

last link for planes name duck...

http://www.uswarplanes.net/aircraftnames.html

whew... sorry for the long post but i thought would be helpful to paste the excerpts so you didnt have to follow links and read the whole pages for my theories

Charlesnett Callsign - "Fisherman"

AhHa! I think i have figured it out: rudels avatar is from "the wind rises" a movie about Jirô Horikoshi, the designer of the zero, in that movie when he begins designing the zero he says something like: "this one will be a full fledged duck, not just a duckling" remember the hint "cats and ducks"? so I think we can safely assume it will be a zero of some kind!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

AhHa! I think i have figured it out: rudels avatar is from "the wind rises" a movie about Jirô Horikoshi, the designer of the zero, in that movie when he begins designing the zero he says something like: "this one will be a full fledged duck, not just a duckling" remember the hint "cats and ducks"? so I think we can safely assume it will be a zero of some kind!

:smilewink: THAT right there is some creative sleuthing! Might not be correct, but the way these guys like to tease everyone, it could just be spot on. Nice observations! The tease-releases of WiP are just that, works in progress, but they should have some key points in common with the planned final product.

Seeing the guesses made on these things is like watching a detective story. Makes for a darned good read. The way people think is fascinating.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

:smilewink: THAT right there is some creative sleuthing! Might not be correct, but the way these guys like to tease everyone, it could just be spot on. Nice observations! The tease-releases of WiP are just that, works in progress, but they should have some key points in common with the planned final product.

Seeing the guesses made on these things is like watching a detective story. Makes for a darned good read. The way people think is fascinating.

Thanks! i couldn't have done it without you guys! And I totally agree, i'm constantly checking here to see if there are any new posts.

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

I wonder when they are going to announce the other two. It's been a long time, or at least I think it has :huh:

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Or perhaps its deeper than that, from here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?

Well judging by the thread title its a 2 character designation, so all you guys need to do is to look at the ones with plain and simple 2 character designation, be it NATO/GRAU, doesn't matter.

Maybe it is a F-2 Viper Zero, Something Something could refer to "F-2" or "Viper Zero".

And the original zero was A6M, which is 3 characters, so maybe Rudel was out-ruling the A6M.

Aren't you missing the obvious? :D

The Obvious?

Sofar, the gearleg, has been concluded isn't the one of the A6M or J2M, so i am at a loss for what it is.

We have been shown the Pit of the Corsair, But, the Corsair does not have gearlegs like the one shown.

Likewise, we know that they are building only 1 WWII vintage bird (most likely the aforementioned F4U) and the other 2 are modern.

Thus, Given the Flag (which is still used today) and the fact we have some other stuff, means we are looking at a plane, licenced, or designed, by, among others, Mitsubishi.

Now That being given,

you are essentially down to the following.

- Mitsubishi F-1 (which doesn't have that kind of gearleg)

- Mitsubishi F-2 (which has something that resembles said Gear leg)

- F4EJ (licenced has the rear gear leg that looks like the one shown)

- F4EJ KAI (see F4EJ)

- F104J (again, licenced production by Mitsubishi, resembles Front gear)

- Sabre Block 40, (licenced, unlikely given that there is a Sabre in game)

All we need now is a pacific theatre and voila, we can replay "The final Countdown" and LNS shoves all the planes out :P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• 2 weeks later...
Id like something that isn't American. I am a bit scared of American domination in this game i'm afraid.

dont be afraid ;)

right now we have russian dominance:

Russia: 10 - U.S.: 7 - Europe: 5

granted, FC3 aircraft might not count for some, so without FC 3 it's more balanced:

Russia: 4 - U.S.: 5 - Europe: 4

some will argue about timeframes now, please dont ;)

and have a look whats upcoming/released:

ED: Russian L-39, U.S. F/A-18

LN: Russian MiG-21, U.S. F-14

BT: U.S. UH-1H, Russian Mi-8, U.S. F-86, Russian MiG-15

actualy looking balanced in a way, aye? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett