Large Bomber formations - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
Pikey
Veteran

OK, did you try using the "WW2 Bomber Element" formation then groups of three aircraft and join each 3 group to another using the bomber formation? Would seem that this would be simpler, but i'm not sure of the restrictions as it ignores the individual plane settings in favour of the position in the box/javelin. Plus, wing, group and squad positions - I don't understand these when refering by an element of three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
I just rearranged the flights Nirvi did. Removed the 4th plane from each element and set them up following each other per formation flying rules.

I did try to rename the groups later on, but it seems to me that it doesn't make a difference. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong. I've only messed about with this for an hour.

Sent with Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Mr_sukebe

Just flown a mission with 4*4, awesome looking. My thanks.
Going to try it with Heinkels (mod aircraft), now.
Mr_sukebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
Pikey
Veteran

Confirmed
Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
- the far right element (second 3 plane group in high squadron) when set to Javelin Down overlaps with first group in the said high squadron and is the only one that will collide within the formation, solution was to set that 3 plane group to Combat Box
Also....due to aforementioned thing and bomb fuzes arming immediately, it disintegrated my right side and 6 planes when dropping in formation. Very pretty though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	163293  

Last edited by Pikey; 05-30-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: subsequent effect
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
T}{OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
OK, did you try using the "WW2 Bomber Element" formation then groups of three aircraft and join each 3 group to another using the bomber formation? Would seem that this would be simpler, but i'm not sure of the restrictions as it ignores the individual plane settings in favour of the position in the box/javelin. Plus, wing, group and squad positions - I don't understand these when refering by an element of three.
That is exactly how I did it, by using "WW2 Big Formation" under advanced options. Set up flights of 3, then set them to follow the lead of another 3 plane element - up to the whole squadron lead.

Quote:
Confirmed

Also....due to aforementioned thing and bomb fuzes arming immediately, it disintegrated my right side and 6 planes when dropping in formation. Very pretty though!
Just set that particular element to Combat Box under Formation Type and it will do its thing properly (i.e. not overlap).

As far as the Wing, Group and Box options - be sure to watch the video from the thread I opened a while back:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=184864

- might as well continue the discussion there, if you wish to attempt at building some of those formations
DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature
T}{OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #15
352ndDeacon

Most of us will need step by step instructions to duplicate what you did T{}OR to make either bomber group. While we may be experienced in making missions,I for one, have no idea how you made that bomber formation. Please help.
Thanks in advance.
352ndDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #16
T}{OR

Can do that. But not sure if I'll get around to it today. Super swamped with work.

In the mean time, there are two mission files I've posted in this thread. Feel free to use them.

Sent with Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #17
Captain Orso

Quote:
Confirmed

I was going to try to write this up in text, but trying to explain it in detail is such a PITA, and a picture is blah-blah-blah...

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
T}{OR

I couldn't get them to fly level as in not staggered as in not right higher and left lower than element lead. Can you also share wing position settings inside of the 3 plane element please?

I'm dying to get my hands on this myself, but work and social life intervened.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #19
Pikey
Veteran

I managed this, but getting them to take off and form up is another thing entirely. Varied from 2 crashing to all but three surviving, due to the altitude at the forming up point not being observed. Simple way is set the first leader, then the left low and right low following him, then the low sqn and high sqn following him. Due to the bug above, the High Sqn occupies right high also, so you can workaround by doing him as right high from the "right high" group instead of the lead. Setting to combat box didnt work for me.

Mind set all the formations as ww2 bomber formation high deperation and that's all there is. Once you know what right high and left low is, you can chain them.

Now to get DCS to stop exploding when they carpet bomb during my flak script...
Old 05-31-2017, 09:03 PM   #20
Captain Orso

Probably should have done this at the start. Mission now attached.

Thor, if you mean, what the group formation is, it's "ww2 Bomber Element", but you can see that in the mission.

I haven't tried anything with the "ww2 Bomber Element Height Separation" group formation.

Look at the illustrations. The trick is that the Lead Group Leader is the central anchor. From there going left and right, each group anchors on the group immediately neighboring toward the center of the whole formation. Pay attention to the targeting lines for the lead AC of each group.
Attached Files
File Type: miz Normandy Bomber Test 07 Javalin 25k.miz (11.4 KB, 23 views)

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote