First thoughts on the Winwing F18 HOTAS

Bullant

OK here it is, my first thoughts on the Winwing F18 HOTAS.

TL;DR: I am in love

Slightly longer version: I spent the last day building a custom stand so I could attach the throttle and stick to my racing seat. It's not perfect, the stick is too far forward and high, but it will do until my mate who is a metal fabricator makes me my real mount that will attach to the seat rail under the front of the seat.

There are a few QC issues, the USB connector on the front of the throttle housing didn't line up with the cutout and so couldn't attach the cable. Loosened the screws on the front panel and it popped into place. One of the LEDS on the "combat panel" is flickering, but considering that was just a bonus and I bought the throttle and stick to go in a full cockpit, I'm not super concerned.

Mapping the controls in DCS was easy. Winwing has their own control software with cloud based profiles. I downloaded the default hornet profile and all three controls showed up mapped and most of the mappings were correct, with a few errors (speedbrakes reversed for instance).

But the important question: How does it fly? In a word. Smooth. Both the throttle and stick are just ... smooth. Speed control is so much easier, and none of the Warthog stiction.

I fired up the AAR mission and not only was I able to make and maintain contact, but when the tanker started its unannounced turn I was able to maintain contact for a bit. When I lost contact I was actually able to rejoin ... in the turn. Something I NEVER would have even attempted with my Warthog.

It's amazing how much my hands/fingers have muscle memory for the controls on the Warthog but then I guess that makes sense after 15 years of use! But I'm coming to grips with the Hornet layout and it's getting easier.

So not a cheap piece of kit by any stretch, but well worth it, in my opinion.

IMG_3063.thumb.jpg.c04f3a93e9c6fac877a6b20d4494e80a.jpg

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Thank you for your feedback, we really need those since all the Youtubers and streamers never had the chance to post their final review of the product.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

Ditto, Smooth & solid build, so much more beefy than the TM WH Hotas, rocking it on DCS F-18.

Did not have any QC issues on mine, clean lines, no nics nor scratches & all the USB Cable ports lined up perfect from my initial setup 24hrs ago.

Nato........I'm sure TM could build as good or a better HOTAS if you wanted to pay $900 for it. It's hardly a fair comparison.

But they don't , and people need a reference as to what to expect before dropping twice as much cash ? It may not be a fair comparison , but it is a relavant one :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 3 weeks later...

Can you install and use the throttle without the switch panel attached?

I can answer that one, and the answer is yes. To detach the panel from the throttle you have to undo four screws. The panel and the throttle have individual USB connectors.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

First thoughts on the Winwing F18 HOTAS

I can answer that one, and the answer is yes. To detach the panel from the throttle you have to undo four screws. The panel and the throttle have individual USB connectors.

Thank you! I bought the throttle only and then realized I never had this question answered.

Edited by Fusedspine33