Normandy News

NineLine

Why such drama when a free update for a third party map is announced ?

Sometimes people think too much and forget to switch on the oxygen in cockpit :)

By the way, I don't have Nomandy map yet (not very interested in WWII period), but seeing it keeps being supported and with better performances encourages me to get it sooner or later (and gives me hope for Syria map), my humble 2 cents...

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2666Mhz, GTX 2070 Super, SSD 1To, TrackIR 5, TM16000M HOTAS

ED is not updating the map.

I know it's ugra, but the news is from ED, we bought the map from ED, we use the map in an ED's flight sim, hhmm... we paid ED.. etc. etc. so your point is right... ED is not updating the map.. thank you NineLine, if I was undecided buying a 3th party module now you helped me to never buy one because like you said, ED can't update it or help with it... like the VEAO's hawk...

As any news posted on the official newsletter, with put all 3rd party news.

:music_whistling:

Do you think I'm an idiot or what? I really don't understand if is a sarcastic answer or are you serious, or maybe you always want to keep last word... fine... happy for you

I started to say thanks to ED, then all derailed in this... I don't know what's wrong with all you

Edited by finch

I think people are getting upset for the word "free" because ...

That word was totally necessary, because they just say it's a big update to the map, people would start asking if it was a paid update.

So there is no posible excuse to get angry at it

I could utter the word "carrot" and nothing else, no context, no emotional inference, and it'd offend someone here apparently.

*sigh*

Normandy is getting an update it sorely needs and that is a good thing. That it is free is another.

Whether or not all our collective issues are solved will remain to be seen.

A deadline/ETA would be nice, sure, but by God, if you haven't worked out by now that release dates with DCS are - necessarily - an amorphous creature then you clearly haven't been here that long.

Sith, I appreciate you get a lot of rubbish thrown your way and you're required to be somewhat defensive (being on payroll and all), but can you just accept for once that others have different experiences than you, and just because yours is fine, doesn't mean other people's are.

Normandy runs ok on my rig, but it doesn't perform as well as others.

For people with worse machines than ours, that can run Cauc fine but not Normandy, the broken claims do have a ring of truthfulness to them.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what the updates bring.

I have an older rig. Normandy runs pretty good on it, but the southern part of the Caucus map is almost unusable for me. We all have different experiences, and opinions.

• 4 months later...

@Nineline

If the map is feature complete and any additional work goes beyond that, then why is it still listed as an early access product in the store without a full release date being set?

It seems to me there is an inconsistency in the definition of release candidates here, as all other modules get announcements when they go full release after a period of early access, in which features are being added and bugs are fixed, what is totally fine. But for some reason the Normandy map feature complete before it's considered to be full release and left there for over 2 years? Sorry, this all feels like excuses for, by the standards we may have got used to by DCS, a poorly supported piece of software and even worse customer communication by the 3rd party devs.

The only thing I see listed as Early Access is the bundle, and that is because the Asset Pack is still Early Access as they are still adding new units. Are you seeing it somewhere else?

True, my bad.

The Early Access Tag seems to be ONLY on the bundle and no other product at all even if they still are EA.

May want to change that to prevent confusion.

Hi Nineline and Bignewy.

An update of the Normandy map was planned for November.

Can you try to get news about this?

I know it's not ED who deals with this map, but Ugra Media is not very talkative.

Thank you.

I did think that we'd been told that Ugra would focus on Syria first, with Normandy afterwards.

As we've heard nothing about a release date for Syria, I'd be amazed if we get a Normandy update before Q2 2020.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• ED Team
Hi Nineline and Bignewy.

An update of the Normandy map was planned for November.

Can you try to get news about this?

I know it's not ED who deals with this map, but Ugra Media is not very talkative.

Thank you.

I can't give any detail right now, but they are actively working on the updates, soon as we can share some more info, I certainly will.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I can't give any detail right now, but they are actively working on the updates, soon as we can share some more info, I certainly will.

i would be very, very grateful, if you could maybe slip a rough estimate into the weekly newletter, as i and my flying buddies are discussing if we wanna buy the map+assets in the current sale.

if the updates is mere weeks away, i'd happily promote it to them, but if it turns out to be months still, i'd rather not...

ps: in all the newer dcs promotional videos, normandy seems to be colour corrected to a more natural look. i guess, that's glowing amrams work in post production, yes? have you given feedback to ugra, so that they maybe aim for a similar look with the promised update?

I don't think GA does colour corrections, but I know there has been some overall tuning of lighting ongoing internally, its possible that is what you are seeing.

I don't think that he generally does colour "trickery" or something. His videos look great, while still being completely true to how DCS does indeed look. It were just those small snippets of Normandy footage that looked better compared to other footage and screenshots. Maybe it was also weather or gamma settings or - as you say - lighting changes.

Either way, i hope updated Normandy's look will be more in line with glowing amrams trailers, whatever it might be that makes his normandy scenes look more natural...

Thanks for the answer Nineline.

Hoping to have news soon.

Good day to all. :Pouce en l'air:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Ugra Media! Merry Christmas to you too!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5