How to Correctly Install Your Mods

Hello,

On saved games you can place Mods that add new airplanes, liveries, custom cockpits .. you can’t use saved games to modify an existing DCS Module’s files .. for this type of Mod you have to target the /program files/eagle dynamics/ path rather than /saved games/dcs/

Keep in mind that altering a DCS module will most likely impact on the Multiplayer’s Integrity Check, so most Mods of this kind are used only on Single Player.

Best regards and thanks for sharing the Mod, will give it a try when I return from my vacations.

:)

Crystal clear mate, thanks very much for your kind explanation.

I wanted to put it in Saved Games\DCS(.openbeta) in order for it to not be overwritten every time DCS is updated or you perform a repair for some reason... and to avoid issues with IC, too.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be checked - and after all it's not a cheat, simply a matter of personal taste - so it's perfectly fine to have it in the main directory.

And thanks to OvGME restoring it after an update/repair is simply a matter of disabing and re-enabling it.

Let me know what you think as soon as you'll try it. :smartass:

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

• 2 months later...

Question on aircraft names

When I add a skin to my Saved Games Liveries, I wonder how and why the aircraft's folder is not named the same as in the DCS Open Beta Main folder. Could somebody explain why it is different and how do I find a list of the "different" names of aircraft for use in the Saved Games Folder? Example below:

In the Main Game Directory I find the FA-18C spelled different in two directories and the Liveries folder is empty.

FA-18C (Core Mods-aircraft)

f_a-18c (Bazar-Liveries)

Empty (DCS World Open Beta-Liveries)

And in my Saved Games Folder when adding a skin for the FA-18C I have to use the name below:

FA-18C_Hornet (Saved Games-Liveries)

Just curious as to why and where I can come up with a list of the names of aircraft for the Saved Games Directory as they are different.

Thanks

It's defined in one of the aircraft [or other models] lua files.

Thanks Joey. I was thinking that may be the case. Now I just have to hunt down the correct lua file to find the names (when necessary).

edit: I just went back and traced it down for my answer and I found it. I missed it by one click before. :music_whistling:

Edited by davebert

AS if

When I add a skin to my Saved Games Liveries, I wonder how and why the aircraft's folder is not named the same as in the DCS Open Beta Main folder. Could somebody explain why it is different and how do I find a list of the "different" names of aircraft for use in the Saved Games Folder? Example below:

In the Main Game Directory I find the FA-18C spelled different in two directories and the Liveries folder is empty.

FA-18C (Core Mods-aircraft)

f_a-18c (Bazar-Liveries)

Empty (DCS World Open Beta-Liveries)

And in my Saved Games Folder when adding a skin for the FA-18C I have to use the name below:

FA-18C_Hornet (Saved Games-Liveries)

Just curious as to why and where I can come up with a list of the names of aircraft for the Saved Games Directory as they are different.

Thanks

You speak of the liveries folder as if it exists. In my saved games\dcs.openbeta\ folder there is no such folder. I am at a loss here cuz I have ran a livery for the huey for years and now it dont work. I look in the saved games folder and there is nothing in the mods folder. I have the skin, but where the hell do I put it?

HawgDawg4life of MSFlights.net

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...I have the skin, but where the hell do I put it?

Put it on /saved games/dcs/liveries/UH-1H/folder-with-skin-files

If liveries or UH-1H dont exist, just create them using Windows file management.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I updated to the new 2.5.6 version yesterday and use OvGME to handle my mods for Helios profiles. After installing the 2.5.6 mod and running it, all looked great with one monitor working. All of my purchased aircraft were there. I switched to my two monitor setup to check my Helios F/A-18C and the DDI's worked, but the UFC/IFEI/RWR were not displaying. I figured that I needed to disable my mods in OvGME and enable them again to get things working, so that's what I did. When I went back in to DCS those three purchased aircraft are now gone. They show that they are enabled in the Module Manager / Installed / Modules selection tab. What have I done and how do I get them back without reinstalling DCS 2.5.6? PLEASE help!

Thanks in Advance,

Wayne

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

Sorry for pulling the trigger a little premature, but I used the repair option in the start menu and all is kinda good. I have my aircraft back and usable, but now it starts in map view and not cockpit view. The F1 key is not working. F2 gets me outside of the aircraft, but F1 is not working. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

Sorry for pulling the trigger a little premature, but I used the repair option in the start menu and all is kinda good. I have my aircraft back and usable, but now it starts in map view and not cockpit view. The F1 key is not working. F2 gets me outside of the aircraft, but F1 is not working. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Wayne

It sounds like during the update (and repair) the needed .dll files have been quarantined or removed by your anti-virus software.

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Hey guys ... Could someone help me out?

I searched through the thread and didn't really find answer to my problem.

I'm trying to move my mods I'm using with OvGME to saved games so I don't have to enable/disable them and to share few mods easier with people.

For this specific example, I have a mod that adds keybinds to the F-14 let's say ...

If I wanted to move that mod so it's in the Saved games dir how would I make the file structure?

Is there any documentation that explains how the file structure works in saved games dir?

I've looked at some other mods and how they did it and it makes no sense to me.

For example, in this case, the mod I'm using with the OvGME has file structure as follows:

\Mods\aircraft\F14\Input\F-14B-Pilot\keyboard

Under ...\Input\ ... There is

...\F-14B-Pilot\...

...\F-14B-RIO\...

Is it possible to modify existing Modules via Saved games or must I really go with editing core files?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Is it possible to modify existing Modules via Saved games or must I really go with editing core files?

No, Saved Games allows you to ADD items to the sim: a new vehicle, a new livery, a new sound ... you cant modify existing Modules via Saved Games.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

No, Saved Games allows you to ADD items to the sim: a new vehicle, a new livery, a new sound ... you cant modify existing Modules via Saved Games.

How did someone replace the sound files for the Hornet via Saved games dir

Take a look at this: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302314/

It replaces all F-18 sounds with the custom ones.

Edited by Rlaxoxo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

How did someone replace the sound files for the Hornet via Saved games dir

Take a look at this: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302314/

It replaces all F-18 sounds with the custom ones.

ED’s sound developer @c0ff convinced the team to allow a mechanism to allow this type of sound mods. The Mod has to follow some guidelines, that’s why the Mod that you mention needed an update:

v3.10 (14/04/2020)

-Changed install method! Now works in 2.5.6.

Here is more info about sound mods:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98014

Best regards

That sounds like the aircraft you want to fly hasn’t been assigned to you (Player) in the mission builder?

Rlaxoxo .

If you cannot get in the cockpit, try this.

Go to ME, select Skill Level for your plane(s) and make sure CLIENT is selected. This just changed with 2.5.6 (vs using ALT-J to jump into a plane at the mission start).

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

• 2 months later...
Then we can create a folder with the same name of the texture zip file, and put all of modified textures files into it

DCS will first load textures from zip, and then if find folder with same name,

it will load from folder later and files from folder will override those from zip,

then you don't need to worry about breaking IC

I followed this and it worked at first. But after subsequent testing, it stopped reading from the folder and only from the zip. When I delete the default zip, then it reads from the modified folder. Is the order the game searches for vfstextures random and not necessarily zip first and then folder?

I did remove all other mods, clean up and repair.

Edit: It seems to be doing it to certain folder only.

Edited by Taz1004

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Can I jump in here and ask a relevant question about file locations since you're on the subject?
I recently D/L'd 2 mission files DCS User files; Operation Deep Strike & Operation False Disguise. Deep Strike loaded and worked fine but 'False Disguise' failed when loading with 'Need modules for load mission: Civil_Objects'.
I D/L's 'Civil Objects' (Civil_Objects_JR_1.95.zip) and installed per instructions in:
C:\Users\YOUR-NAME\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\
I also 'loaded' this as MOD using OvGME & JSGME to no success; the resulting Syria map is completely empty.
Anybody got a clue as to where I messed up?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

@Morpheus....thanks for the reply. I read thru your suggestion, D/L'd the VPC & VPC fix(2.7) and that all resulted in 2 issues:

1) DCS reports on originally loading that VPC in not authorized and will be disabled.

2) Inspection of the MOD has no reference to 'civil_object' that I can find.

So I'm not sure why I needed the VPC mod AND how do I get it 'authorized' OR is there something else I'm missing here. 

Thanks again, 

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

10 minutes ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

1) DCS reports on originally loading that VPC in not authorized and will be disabled.

This message occurs when you place a user Mod on the DCS program’s folder. The user Mods should go into the  /saved games/ path instead.

@Rudel_chw...thank you sir, that took care of item #1, I look forward to using-seeing this mod.

Any clue on 'civil_object' required by Operation False Disguise ( philipMbatista-4/30/2021)?

I greatly appreciate your contributions & support of this community.

2 hours ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@Rudel_chw...thank you sir, that took care of item #1, I look forward to using-seeing this mod.

Any clue on 'civil_object' required by Operation False Disguise ( philipMbatista-4/30/2021)?

I greatly appreciate your contributions & support of this community.

You don't need VPC mod, just the fix for lights, for me some items of Civil Objects come back to life with the fix 😉

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

On 7/26/2021 at 8:50 PM, Morpheus said:

Civil Object are outdated, only vehicles are usuable, but ...... since this fix it seems that It's working (VPC Fix for 2.7 middle topic), make à try

Correction, make test yesterday with Civil Objects in 2.7.4, vehicles don't move now and some items make screen flashing  .........

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG