Why don't Wags create a VR map for better fps?

Crunchy

I couldn't go back to flat screen DCS now, but why don't the DCS devs create a map just for VR using lower textures etc? I'm sure if they created a less detailed map for VR then it would allow those who use it to have better fps would it not?

I couldn't go back to flat screen DCS now, but why don't the DCS devs create a map just for VR using lower textures etc? I'm sure if they created a less detailed map for VR then it would allow those who use it to have better fps would it not?

They are: It's called the Marinas Island Map. New API applied, very little land, mostly water.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

The map textures ain't problem, you can already set the textures to low and see it doesn't help so much. Problem is with the shadows and simply your cockpit details and textures. Like F-14 eats far more GPU than any other module, while something else can be much more effective like a Harrier is for me almost negligent in GPU impacts.

Shadows is one thing that kills, same is with mirrors and all kind AA etc. You can't much help without lowering effects.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Gotta be honest with ya. Im now at 45 fps. Butter smooth with no crashes or hiccups. 90mhz. Refresh, Most every setting at high that isn’t some form of duplication.

I think at this point the only thing to be improved would be the resolution of the index. I am pretty sure at this point its there. I guess what I’m saying is our headsets are not 2k and once smooth and crash free just aren’t able to get any clearer.

Maybe Im wrong.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Gotta be honest with ya. Im now at 45 fps. Butter smooth with no crashes or hiccups. 90mhz. Refresh, Most every setting at high that isn’t some form of duplication.

I think at this point the only thing to be improved would be the resolution of the index. I am pretty sure at this point its there. I guess what I’m saying is our headsets are not 2k and once smooth and crash free just aren’t able to get any clearer.

Maybe Im wrong.

There are definitely map difference.

Using 104th server as an example:

PG map - Kish AF, spawn in F-15: 60 fps - maintain 60 for most the entire mission

Caucus map, spawn in F-15, 40 fps, after takeoff more like 45

I’m at a pretty solid 45fps, so for me it’s more about improving quality of the image.. turning off the vr shaders mod etc...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I’m at a pretty solid 45fps, so for me it’s more about improving quality of the image.. turning off the vr shaders mod etc...

Are you capping your fps to be 45 fps, or is this just what you get in DCS? I find looking out to the left and right of the cockpit stutters if my fps are up and down and I get terrible ghosting when seeing other aircraft.

Does the new Nvidia driver that has a fps setting allow you to cap DCS at 45 fps in VR?

Well the development of a new core system with vulcan must gonna save all the Vr experience. ED is working on it for several years now. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

There are definitely map difference.

Using 104th server as an example:

PG map - Kish AF, spawn in F-15: 60 fps - maintain 60 for most the entire mission

Caucus map, spawn in F-15, 40 fps, after takeoff more like 45

Perhaps but what exactly are you missing or noticing at 45 that you are not getting at 60fps?

Smooth is smooth, are you sayin the picture is clearer at 60.

Thanks

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Well the development of a new core system with vulcan must gonna save all the Vr experience. ED is working on it for several years now. :D

I thought Vulcan was mainly for AMD and where does it say Wags are developing a new core system with Vulcan for 7 years now?

I thought Vulcan was mainly for AMD and where does it say Wags are developing a new core system with Vulcan for 7 years now?

Vulkan is cross platform.

https://developer.nvidia.com/Vulkan

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Perhaps but what exactly are you missing or noticing at 45 that you are not getting at 60fps?

Smooth is smooth, are you sayin the picture is clearer at 60.

Thanks

It has lower impact on a 2D screen 45 vs 60 steady FPS, but in VR the impact is greater. You can see the difference if you know what to look for, the smoothness will be a bit better. It's not 1:1 the same.

They are not working on VR optimisation or improvements, they put there hope on Vulkan which will most likely take another year..

As many others pointed before, Vulkan is not a silver bullet that will fix instantaneously all our problems.

Yeah, I think they are hedging with that Marianas map, its perfect for low end systems. That and hypefully Vulkan will live up to the hype.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Not to mention that you have the ability to dumb down your settings to increase the FPS.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I'm kinda out of the loop.

What happened with that big promised VR improvement of a few months ago. I know it was released and didn't work for several people, and ED was researching why. Then the topic kinda faded.

So what happened after that?

What happened with that big promised VR improvement of a few months ago. I know it was released and didn't work for several people, and ED was researching why. Then the topic kinda faded.

Yeah, nah. Didn't happen unfortunately.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Nothing so far. At a guess back to the drawing board. Maybe they are still working on it quitely is my hope.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think some did get a boost in VR a few months back when that was going on - myself included.

It was not huge but was nice at the time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|