Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

fargo007

Used mine yesterday and promptly packed it up for return.. completely uncomfortable.. doesn't come close to fitting my face and has severe light leak...to make matters worse the head tracking completely failed in my sunlit room to the point where it was unusable...Lenses we're definitely softer but brighter and clearer than rift but only in a very narrow focal sweet spot if I looked straight ahead. If I looked down or up or even side to side completely blurry...too bad Samsung.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Plus and the Oculus I keep going back to the Oculus for comfort and I can use a headset with it so I don't have to keep the HMD on during briefs and changing audio feeds. After a week the Plus is going back

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Several friends tried O+ with X-Plane and most of them concur Rift is better overall

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Several friends tried O+ with X-Plane and most of them concur Rift is better overall

Could be why they're selling for $300 right after intro...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

f**** samsung policy.....I dont understand why it's not being sold in EUROPE....

it's such a shame!!!!

for 300 euro I'd buy it immediatley!!

:mad:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Although I understand that frustration..... I highly doubt this is Samsung's original plan.

In fairness, Samsung much like any other company wants to sell all of its products everywhere. There's no point in cutting an entire limb off of your market share.

It's far more likely that there's some government entity making it impossible or difficult for them to sell it there.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

There is some one on you tube an Australian into the Hornet and interviews some one who has been using the Odyessy Plus in DCS sorry I can not be more specific.

Here's the link to that Aussie YouTuber interviewing someone who has the O+. His channel is StingTV

http://youtu.be/semSsk96VBI

i7-8700K@ 4.9GHz, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, 2TB HDD, Win10 Home, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog, Hornet Grip, Cougar MFDs, Monstertech desk mounts, VKB T.Rudders, Alienware 34" curved Ultrawide, PG & NTTR, F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, F-5E, Mi-8, SA342, UH-1H, Ka-50, L-39, Yak 52, Su-33, FC3.

I've tried the Rift, Vive, Odyssey +, and several of the partner vendors for Windows Mixed Reality headsets. Actually there was a demo team at West Edmonton Mall for about a month, going across the country giving folks a hands on look at WMR devices. The Samsung Odyssey Plus (O+) is by far the heaviest one of all. Sweet spot is certainly smaller than the Vive and it's got an IPD range of 60-67mm. Most of the WMR headsets will have light bleed from sides or nose area, depending on size/shape of your face. The ASUS model is the lightest, weighing in at only 400 grams. Asus has an IPD of 60-65mm, and IMO is the second most comfortable from the Lenova Explorer WMR. (Lenova let in a tad bit more light bleed from the sides, in my case.)

I ordered an Asus WMR headset, which is due to arrive on November 27th. I'll get back to this with an update to how that works with DCS.

i7-8700K@ 4.9GHz, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, 2TB HDD, Win10 Home, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog, Hornet Grip, Cougar MFDs, Monstertech desk mounts, VKB T.Rudders, Alienware 34" curved Ultrawide, PG & NTTR, F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, F-5E, Mi-8, SA342, UH-1H, Ka-50, L-39, Yak 52, Su-33, FC3.

Bought it yesterday! Had some trouble to set up but eventually got it up and running.

Comfort I have rift too and SO+ not even close to rift very uncomfortable didn’t have problem to find sweet spot but front part of the halo really pressing on your head

Display crisp and sde practically not exist but I felt like with anti sde it’s made picture look cartoonishly may be it’s just me I felt like I play sega lol

Audio just not as good as rift surprisingly

Performance again rift superior. I’m running on 7700k and 1080

Overall I packed it and returning in next few days. For me rift still best platform and hopefully they’ll release something new soon

Sending my SO+ back today and going back to the rift.

SO+ gave me stutters, shimmering, just overall much worse compared to rift. Performance was also much worse. Picture overall was not as much of an improvement, if any. Hoping the true next generation will show better results.

SO+ gave me stutters, shimmering, just overall much worse compared to rift. Performance was also much worse. Picture overall was not as much of an improvement, if any. Hoping the true next generation will show better results.

So can you share your computer specs? Sorry if you already posted. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow..I just got the O+ and I didn’t have the Rift to compare it too for DCS but I do have the Oculus GO. I like the O+ in DCS, very immersive. I do have a problem finding the sweet spot as I have the IDE all the way in right now.

I did have an issue setting up but its resolved. I still cant get the controllers connected with my BT motherboard.

Are your stutters bad ? I notice it a little when turning my head fast.

f**** samsung policy.....I dont understand why it's not being sold in EUROPE....

it's such a shame!!!!

for 300 euro I'd buy it immediatley!!

:mad:

Think it has something to do with CE certification. One guys OD got stopped in customs and they say something about that. Not sure why. One store does sell it (the original) here in Norway but they want 900 euro. Good luck with that...

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

On rift you don’t really experience that stutterness when move your head around that’s why people who has rift will most likely send it back. It’s really game breaker

Assuming people mean ghosting and not actual stutter? Probably cause people have no clue how to enable mmr asw solution and use the steam one. Even though it's experimental it works pretty good. I don't think its documented at all unless you specifically search for it. Which is retarded considering how many send it back for this reason

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Assuming people mean ghosting and not actual stutter? Probably cause people have no clue how to enable mmr asw solution and use the steam one. Even though it's experimental it works pretty good. I don't think its documented at all unless you specifically search for it. Which is retarded considering how many send it back for this reason

The very good point some acting like spoiled child soon as it did not work straight from the box. No matter how many mistakes come from them self, not from different product design, technology or software.

I can't believe someone could make a decision without proper testing after just one quick try.

Similar reactions were with the older model of SO but most of them who give it try despite some Rift advantages after they get used to new better and definitely clearer picture to stay on SO and never go back to Rift but need more time for it. Vr is very individual experience and there is no two human with the same shape of the head. Comfort is also individual and needs to find a sweet position for better comfort because those two VR have a completely different approach for holding it on your head.

People you should really give it a try for real and have in mind you are already used to your old VR.

The specs that matter from my machine: AMD 7700, 32GB RAM and a 1070ti.

After using Track IR for about 6 months I bought a Rift a few weeks back. Gave it a go for a few days to get things honed in. I ended up returning it because the resolution was just too much of a downgrade from my Track IR setup for me to get over.

I then spent some more time reading up on other options and came across the Samsung Odyssey+. My local Microsoft Store had a couple new units in stock so I went and picked one up. Initial setup was more difficult than the Rift but once I got it configured and got my graphics settings all aligned to keep frame rate above 45 consistently, I was pretty happy.

However, I ended up boxing it up with the intent to return it, due to the sole reason that when turning my head to view the sides, it had that major stuttering (apparently it's ghosting?). I also experience this big time when making a turn with the horizon in view, the horizon just looks horrible with this stuttering/ghosting. It really is game-ruining in my opinion.

I tried everything I could find and read through many threads on various forums for graphics settings recommendations to fix it, but nothing solved it. So now it sits, boxed up in my home office and ready to be returned. But now you've really got me intrigued to give it one last shot. Would you mind providing more detail on how to properly "enable mmr asw solution and use the steam one"? If that solves my ghosting/stuttering problem I'll very likely keep it as that's really the only real issue I found with the SO+.

The very good point some acting like spoiled child soon as it did not work straight from the box. No matter how many mistakes come from them self, not from different product design, technology or software.

I don't think this is fair at all and quite condescending. I'm far from a "child" and absolutely did not expect the headset to work perfectly out of the box. I spent HOURS digging through settings and reading forum posts to try to resolve the problem and nothing did it. After multiple days and many hours of configuration with no results, I gave up and decided the device simply wasn't worth $500 + taxes with the lackluster results I was getting.

Meanwhile, the Oculus Rift darn near did work perfectly right out of the box, with significantly less setup and work-arounds required to get it to work properly with no ghosting. The only real downsides to the Rift, in my opinion, were the horrendously low screen resolution and the bad screen door effect. It had no ghosting/stuttering issues at all.