A-10C Cockpit by Patriot

Patriot

It seems that this instrument won't fit in the multigauge backplate.

Check the reference document that Lynx provided for actual distance allowed between the standoffs so it slides in the backplate cutout

Can you show on the picture of what you're saying?

Fuel Panel ready (temporarily without lever) :

5886236ff90c47a9a770ad8c35247372.png

My cockpit A-10C

Строю кокпит A-10C

i7 7700k, 32Gb RAM, SSD NVMe, GTX 1080, Hotas Warthog, HTC Vive.

-----------------

With love from Russia

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great start to MFD there. Looking forward to seeing it complete one day! I have tried to design the pcb for left mfd myself. I am using 27" monitor so I want connections on left mfd coming out of left side and opposite for the right. so two different pcbs. with encoder at bottom left it reduces number of traces i can fit in that corner so for the left mfd there are too many traces to fit in top right corner. I was thinking of trying to put a small smd multiplexer in top left corner between the rocker switch and button 1. Looks like your using individual screens so solves that problem. Heres pic of my pcb so far.

MFCD.thumb.JPG.f871be2dc586bf3138e30f4919a51861.JPG

If you had any advice I would greatly appreciate it. And good luck with the rest of your build! Your building great stuff! I'm always watching for your updates.

Clay

Great start to MFD there. Looking forward to seeing it complete one day! I have tried to design the pcb for left mfd myself. I am using 27" monitor so I want connections on left mfd coming out of left side and opposite for the right. so two different pcbs. with encoder at bottom left it reduces number of traces i can fit in that corner so for the left mfd there are too many traces to fit in top right corner. I was thinking of trying to put a small smd multiplexer in top left corner between the rocker switch and button 1. Looks like your using individual screens so solves that problem. Heres pic of my pcb so far.

[ATTACH]161506[/ATTACH]

If you had any advice I would greatly appreciate it. And good luck with the rest of your build! Your building great stuff! I'm always watching for your updates.

Clay

Thank you! :)

You can use two wire for buttons: gnd and common wire for all button. Before each button need add smd resistor (I use 330 Om). This wire connect to arduino analog pin. In sketch, example for CMSP buttons:

int ReadButtonGroup(){
 if ((millis() - previousMillis) < 50) return 1;
 previousMillis = millis();

int value = 0;
 int pressedButton = 0;

int sum = 0;
 for(int i=0; i<4; i++){
   sum += analogRead(A0);
 }
 value = sum/4;

if(value < 50 ) pressedButton = 1;
 else if (value < 120) pressedButton = 2;
 else if (value < 170) pressedButton = 3;
 else if (value < 250) pressedButton = 4;
 else {
   int sum = 0;
   for(int i=0; i<4; i++){
     sum += analogRead(A1);
   }
   value = sum/4;
   if(value < 50 ) pressedButton = 5;
   else if (value < 100) pressedButton = 6;
   else if (value < 170) pressedButton = 7;
   else pressedButton = 0;
 }

if(pressedButton != lastPressedButton) {

switch(pressedButton) {
     case 1: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW1", "1")); break;
     case 2: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW2", "1")); break;
     case 3: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW3", "1")); break;
     case 4: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW4", "1")); break;

case 5: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_UPDN", "0")); break;
     case 6: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_RTN", "1")); break;
     case 7: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_UPDN", "2")); break;
     case 0:
     default: 
       switch(lastPressedButton) {
         case 1: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW1", "0")); break;
         case 2: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW2", "0")); break;
         case 3: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW3", "0")); break;
         case 4: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_ARW4", "0")); break;

case 5: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_UPDN", "1")); break;
         case 6: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_RTN", "0")); break;
         case 7: while(!DcsBios::sendDcsBiosMessage("CMSP_UPDN", "1")); break;
       }
   }
   lastPressedButton = pressedButton;
 }
 return 1;
}

This is not best code, but good work :)

My pcb scheme:

29705847caed4213b5e9dc4f2474ddd9.png

How do you intend to do the switches on the sides?

You mean the buttons or something else?

I will be use PCB plate with microswitches, or try use buttons from Trustmaster frame for my PCB.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

My cockpit A-10C

Строю кокпит A-10C

-----------------

With love from Russia

with encoder at bottom left it reduces number of traces i can fit in that corner

Clay

Clay, the encoder at a he bottom left does not need to be the standard rotary encoder we all use. The link below is for an encoder that I am going to use. It's smalll and has less detents than the large footprint ones we all know and love. But you will need to make your own shaft for it and a custom knob. That's pretty easy stuff. Lay it on its side with a PCB to attach on to and your golden. It's only 9 mm x 5mm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-9MM-Mouse-Encoder-Wheel-Encoder-Repair-Parts-Switch-/282380488389?hash=item41bf304ec5:g:CNUAAOSw~AVYts5K

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Thank you! :)

You can use two wire for buttons: gnd and common wire for all button. Before each button need add smd resistor (I use 330 Om). This wire connect to arduino analog pin. In sketch, example for CMSP buttons.

This is great! PCB for MFCDs bothered me for a long time. Will be borrowing this idea :) thanks​!

John. Thanks for the link. Awesome find, ordering a few

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Not sure how small the encoders Warhog posted are but this was the smallest rotary switch I found a long time back; http://www.mouser.dk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SRBV131803virtualkey68800000virtualkey688-SRBV131803

May be able to fit in there.

Cheers

Hans

Thanks for the help guys!

Patriot

This is fantastic! Thanks! I have spent many hours trying move traces around for this PCB. Thankfully there are people here that are smarter then I am:thumbup: I think I understand your code but one question I have is did you calculate the analog input values that you use in your code or just trial and error?

John and Hans

Thanks for the info! I'm going to order a few of each. See how it goes.

Clay

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up on my previous post. This is the finished selector switch for the MFCD's. As you can see, I am using a mouse scroll wheel rotary encoder as per the link I provided to eBay. It fits beautifully within the small housing which I made from acrylic. I also had to make a custom shaft as the knob needed .25" diameter and the rotary encoder requires a .0625" hex cross section. Instead, I actually used a .07" diameter round cross section and with a little force, pushed it into the rotary encoders opening. Its just a friction fit but that's all it really needs . Maybe a drop of super glue to ensure it stays put.

IMG_0977_zpsbolgxtwv.jpg

IMG_0979_zpsl8tnhsbr.jpg

There are more pics of this on my Photobucket site if you are interested.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

hi Patriot,

i have see in your photobucket CMSC you use dot matrix. Wich dot matrix is it? And what controller do you use for it?

Aircrafts: F-16C | TF-51 | M2000C | F/A-18C | AV-8B | Viggen | KA-50 | A-10C | UH-1 | Mi-8 |

Maps: Caucasus | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Normandy | Syria

System: AMD Ryzen 3700X | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | Win10 64Bit | 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Equipment: TrackIR 5_Trackclip Pro |TM Warthog HOTAS | Oculus Rift S

ooohhh,

i´m sorry ;-)

Aircrafts: F-16C | TF-51 | M2000C | F/A-18C | AV-8B | Viggen | KA-50 | A-10C | UH-1 | Mi-8 |

Maps: Caucasus | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Normandy | Syria

System: AMD Ryzen 3700X | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | Win10 64Bit | 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Equipment: TrackIR 5_Trackclip Pro |TM Warthog HOTAS | Oculus Rift S

Nice job on CDU Patriot! I don't think I have ever been happy with the first versions of any my panels. I think my current CMSP panel is version 6. I think your CDU looks great. I find it very hard to decided on font sizes and location until I can see the finished product and decide on what to change. Sometimes I end up changing something and it looks worse!

Can you tell me what material you used for the buttons? The backlighting looks great! and PCB!

Clay

this looks great!

I understand why you might be not to happy with buttons but they are very usable. engraving them one by one sure was hell of an effort. Did you think of making a fixture to hold several at once?

Buttons look sloppy. I want try milled the top of the buttons, but don't cut from material. Then paint in matte gray color, engraving labels, and only after that cutting from material. I make photo all process.

Nice job on CDU Patriot! I don't think I have ever been happy with the first versions of any my panels. I think my current CMSP panel is version 6. I think your CDU looks great. I find it very hard to decided on font sizes and location until I can see the finished product and decide on what to change. Sometimes I end up changing something and it looks worse!

Thanks!:) I think replace only buttons, this not hard operation.

Can you tell me what material you used for the buttons? The backlighting looks great! and PCB!

Clay

I use milk plexiglass with 2 mm thickness. And glued in 4 layers for thickness in 8mm. Better to find the 8 mm thickness in the store, but I am in my city not found.

I ordered PCB plate for slave controller in China, today received the parcel with ready PCB :) Quality is very good!!

1a776ef5338d447eb89c3007e7cc2822.png

Photo with compared to my version

My cockpit A-10C

Строю кокпит A-10C

-----------------

With love from Russia

• 2 weeks later...