my new rig for Black Shark....

BFG 680i SLI mobo

Intel Quad Core QX6700

BFG 8800 GTX OC gfx

2gb Ram

2 Raptors In Raid

Dell 2407 Monitor

A keyboard and a mouse lol.

After a good couple of hours putting it together - I have a frame rate of .......

0 fps

in fact I have nothing on screen.... in fact it dont even boot.... alas a duff motherboard ......£1500 of parts - excluding monitor and drives... do nothing... I can hear fans which is nice ;)

to say im gutted is an understatement !

oh well - hopefully BFG will give me an RMA sometime this year ;) (they seem a little slow)

looks like back to the Dell XPS 1710 for a while. sob sob.

I think you also need something like these: Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W PSU

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2087162,00.asp

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

I think you also need something like these: Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W PSU

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2087162,00.asp

Well he didnt mention overclocking and he clearly buys new each time so I dont think he needs that one, Dell im sure has one that meets the spec, although i wouldn't bet much further.

While we're on the topic of PSU's, research for specific units aside, this is a great place to start...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1596104&postcount=1

hi fellas.

Ive already got a `decent` PSU for new rig - enermax galaxy 850 watt - that should do the trick - maybe not for 2 8800 GTX`s - but im not planning on going SLI for a while yet... nothing needs it unless you go 30" monitor or something ;)

as for the Dell - its my laptop I bought a while back - runs Lock On pretty well actually....

Just got an RMA number from BFG tonight for the motherboard - only problem is I send the faulty one to Wales (UK) and the replacement mobo is comeing from USA ! so not sure how long that will take !

am ordering another board to use in the mean time - then I will just keep the best one...after reading the stories about 680 mobos being not too clever at the mo.

(think im going Intel Bad Axe 2)

hopefully this will arrive saturday - one of the main things Im looking forward to besides running at a decent resolution is running fraps in the background - Surely I will be able to get good captures with good details..... Glowing watch out buddy ;)

Well... assuming that you have correctly troubleshot everything, I have two things to say ... 965p or 975x

Ordered the Intel Bad Axe 2 - will see which is better when I get the BFG 680i back - bad axe should come on saturday.

Ordered the Intel Bad Axe 2 - will see which is better when I get the BFG 680i back - bad axe should come on saturday.

Quite a few people are having issues with 680i boards. Cold booting, SATA corruption, instability after a few weeks, RAM issues, etc..

It's possible you could end up with a great 680i board, but keep in mind, the 680i boards out now haven't exactly "had their kinks worked out". They are still relatively new, and with all new technology it needs time to mature.

The Intel Bad Axe 2 on the other hand, is an excellent board. The 975X chipset has been around a while and has matured into an extremely solid piece of hardware.

There's always a chance you'll get a "bad board", but I would go out on a limb and say that the chances of getting a "bad" Bad Axe 2 are quite a bit lower then getting a "bad" 680i.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

thats what I was thinking - still a lot of people suggested getting a 680i - so I did.

must admit Ive never had a bad board before and its a real pain having to pay to send it away .... then wait for another.... why should I have to pay to send back a faulty part ?! computer industry ey :)

like you say hopefully the bad axe will be ok - seems pretty stable .... and Ill probably be happy with it - will build both and see what happens and then just sell on the other....

thats what I was thinking - still a lot of people suggested getting a 680i - so I did.

must admit Ive never had a bad board before and its a real pain having to pay to send it away .... then wait for another.... why should I have to pay to send back a faulty part ?! computer industry ey :)

like you say hopefully the bad axe will be ok - seems pretty stable .... and Ill probably be happy with it - will build both and see what happens and then just sell on the other....

FWIW, I sent back my EVGA 680i and bought a Bad Axe 2 for the WC'd build I'm doing. :)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

Guest IguanaKing

I hope you made the right decision. Well...can't go wrong with a 965 or 975 chipset. But, I must concur with TucksonSonny. I think he just didn't communicate his suspicions properly. You may have a badass PSU, but there's no guarantee that the one you received is good as much more than a paperweight. Have you checked to see that all of its output voltages are within tolerance? You made a good choice by going to an Intel chipset, but my money is on the PSU for being the cause of your problem. If its an existing power supply, maybe it doesn't offer enough current on your video card's rail to work properly. If the video card draws more power than it can handle, it just goes to its knees, and won't leave enough juice to run the MoBo.

just had time to install new bad axe 2 - although there was a problem installing XP to the raptors in raid - it froze after a while - I managed to get it installed on one of the other IDE drives.... all is working fine - just got the tedious task of installing software now.....

so I guess the 680i was duff- that went back today.... may just keep this bad axe 2 instead anyways now.

just had time to install new bad axe 2 - although there was a problem installing XP to the raptors in raid - it froze after a while - I managed to get it installed on one of the other IDE drives.... all is working fine - just got the tedious task of installing software now.....

so I guess the 680i was duff- that went back today.... may just keep this bad axe 2 instead anyways now.

WC the NB and you might be able to get 450-475 FSB out of an E6600. :D

If you can...LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL! :)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

• 1 month later...

I would say someone might make a mistake to trust BFG with a mb. They are new at manufact. MB.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I would say someone might make a mistake to trust BFG with a mb. They are new at manufact. MB.

True - but they are reference Nvidia boards.... so pretty much same as EVGA etc....

anyways the Bad Axe 2 is performing superbly well - all good here now :)

Shame about the BS release date... but still perfection will come :)