DCS spitfire electrical system

Vinny002

Hi, Rangi!

That makes sense! I can start the engine just fine last night, but when i try to start the engine this afternoon the engine won't turn over with or without ground electric power, and I tried reapawning the airplane still the same. Any solutions for this? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, Rangi!

That makes sense! I can start the engine just fine last night, but when i try to start the engine this afternoon the engine won't turn over with or without ground electric power, and I tried reapawning the airplane still the same. Any solutions for this? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Need more info on how you tried to start the engine.

Hi, catseye!

Yes, definitely! I still don't understand why the spitfire airplane systems operate without any electricity? For example, even without the ground electric power, the engine can start, cockpit lights turn on, and many more. Please look into this! Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

• ED Team
Hi, catseye!

Yes, definitely! I still don't understand why the spitfire airplane systems operate without any electricity? For example, even without the ground electric power, the engine can start, cockpit lights turn on, and many more. Please look into this! Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Because it has battery.

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.

The battery main switch is tied to the throttle. If you advance the throttle far enough the battery will turn on. Then you pull it back for the start.

Bingo!

Probable he forget this detail, happens to me other day... until I find strange that fuel pressure lamp are off. :)

• ED Team
Hi, Billycrusher!

There should be a battery master switch in the spitfire airplane cockpit somewhere! The spitfire airplane avionics are not on unless the pilot is flying.

Cheers,

Vincent

Spitfire doesn't have battery switch at all. IRL, battery should be disconnected by ground crew after landing and installed/wired before start-up. In DCS assumed that battery was just installed and wired.

The battery main switch is tied to the throttle. If you advance the throttle far enough the battery will turn on. Then you pull it back for the start.

AOG

No, it's only signal lamps switch. Not a main switch.

Edited by BillyCrusher
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.

Spitfire doesn't have battery switch at all. IRL, dattery should be disconnected by ground crew after personnel after landing and installed/wired before start-up. In DCS assumed that battery was just installed and wired.

Could we pls get an option to tell the ground crew to turn the battery on/off then?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

For what purpose?

To be able to turn the battery on and off, like in any other DCS module, as part of the startup/shutdown procedure. I don't see why this should be different to all the other DCS modules, just because the switch is on the outside.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

To be able to turn the battery on and off, like in any other DCS module, as part of the startup/shutdown procedure. I don't see why this should be different to all the other DCS modules, just because the switch is on the outside.

But IRL you wouldn't tell the ground crew to do it, it would be done before he helped you into the cockpit.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

But IRL you wouldn't tell the ground crew to do it, it would be done before he helped you into the cockpit.

Well, that's a point I guess, if that was the procedure back then.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

It's not a part of startup/shutdown procedure. Battery can be leave in place when short time gap between sorties or when warm weather is. And there no any switch outside or inside. Just disconnecting wire/battery terminal.

• Like 1

It's not a part of startup/shutdown procedure. Battery can be leave in place when short time gap between sorties or when warm weather is. And there no any switch outside or inside. Just disconnecting wire/battery terminal.

I see, then it was me misunderstanding how the battery is operated. All good :)

Tornado3 small.jpg

" battery master switch"... " because the switch is on the outside."

In other similar topic in this sub-forum the consensus is that Spit don't use "master switch" - even outside (has plug for external battery on left side ahead cockpit, for avoid use the internal battery *), their battery is always ON.

In ground, if all switches (navigation lights, cockpit, magnetos...) etc, is turned OFF (like in spawn) no battery consumption.

Latter, if need maintenance crew replace the battery for one fully charged.

* IF you want simulate this, ask ground crew for electrical power. But the internal battery last at least 3 startups (I don't test more than this).

And there no any switch outside or inside. Just disconnecting wire/battery terminal.

Interesting, I did not know that, I assumed it was a switch, thank you for the information.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

• 2 years later...

I wondered about this, been looking for the off switch etc ...

"

In ground, if all switches (navigation lights, cockpit, magnetos...) etc, is turned OFF (like in spawn) no battery consumption.

The landing gear and fuel pressure lamps remain on draining battery. In spawn they're off.

For practical purposes, few are the scenarios (I think) when you want to park the spit for a few hours and be able to start it up again (without ground power).

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Actualy magnetos dont use battery power they work as independent systems plane got 2 of those for redundency

So you can have electrical system totaly wasted from battle damage and you still can go home :)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I wondered about this, been looking for the off switch etc ...

The landing gear and fuel pressure lamps remain on draining battery. In spawn they're off.

For practical purposes, few are the scenarios (I think) when you want to park the spit for a few hours and be able to start it up again (without ground power).

The little switch below the throttle handles can be bound to.

U/C indicator OFF

U/C indicator ON

or toggle

Those will turn off those lights.

If the dash lights and fuel pump are on, it doesn't take long until battery voltage drops enough that it is too drained to roll the engine over. This is correct behaviour

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Thought the lights would drain the battery and hence it didn't make sense that they couldn't be shut off with less than unscrewing the battery terminal. One can see how the throttle push on the switch when moved forward. Had to check if this was a battery on/off switch. It's not. What else runs on electricity? The gunsight, the fuel gauge and the radio. None of which is connected through this switch. They must all be shut off separately.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Thought the lights would drain the battery and hence it didn't make sense that they couldn't be shut off with less than unscrewing the battery terminal. One can see how the throttle push on the switch when moved forward. Had to check if this was a battery on/off switch. It's not. What else runs on electricity? The gunsight, the fuel gauge and the radio. None of which is connected through this switch. They must all be shut off separately.

The gunsight can be turned off as well as the radio. The fuel guage does not use power unless the button is pressed and held.

The generator does not draw power like today's alternators can.

Mags produce their own power.

All power drains can be eliminated.

There is no battery switch in the cockpit until later models.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth