Default Installation Folder Different?

BS by default installed into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50

FC2 by default installed into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2

However, the A-10C is trying to install into:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C

Any reason whey ED decided to use C:\Program Files\..... as default for A-10C instead of C:\Program Files (x86) like the other two sims?

Also, does the installer automatically detect 64 bit OS and install the 64 version?

Thanks.

Any reason whey ED decided to use C:\Program Files\..... as default for A-10C instead of C:\Program Files (x86) like the other two sims?

Well... ... ...

Also, does the installer automatically detect 64 bit OS and install the 64 version?

Exactly. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, this doesn't really answer my question I'm afraid. I have Win 7 64 bit so my thought is that it should try to install into the Program Files (x86) folder but instead, unlike BS and FC2, it's trying to install to the plain vanilla Program files.

At what point does the installer ask if you want 32 bit or 64 bit version installed?

Well, this doesn't really answer my question I'm afraid. I have Win 7 64 bit so my thought is that it should try to install into the Program Files (x86) folder but instead, unlike BS and FC2, it's trying to install to the plain vanilla Program files.

64 bit installs go into Program Files.

32 bit installs go into Program Files (x86).

edit: This isn't something that DCS have made up, it's just the way that Windows works.

At what point does the installer ask if you want 32 bit or 64 bit version installed?

There is a check box to select "Install 32 bit version"

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai, Kola, Afghanistan

64 bit installs go into Program Files.

32 bit installs go into Program Files (x86).

edit: This isn't something that DCS have made up, it's just the way that Windows works.

There is a check box to select "Install 32 bit version"

Thanks Andrew. I didn't know by default 64 bit programs will install into program files. Well, as long as this is normal, I go with it.

Cheers!

The point is:

Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit programs.

Program Files is for 64-bit programs.

DCS:A-10C is a 64-bit program (with a 32-but executable and runtime available in the installer), therefore it installs in the 64-bit area. DCS:BS and FC2 were 32-bit, so they installed into the (x86) one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The point is:

DCS:A-10C is a 64-bit program (with a 32-but executable and runtime available in the installer), therefore it installs in the 64-bit area. DCS:BS and FC2 were 32-bit, so they installed into the (x86) one.

And in which folder it goes if you select to install the 32-bit executable on the 64-bit Windows? Just thought that we should get all the angles covered.. ;) (and am envious as I'm on the far side of the planet currently so I'm struggling to download the damn thing)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The point is:

Yes, that's what Andrew said and it makes sense.

And in which folder it goes if you select to install the 32-bit executable on the 64-bit Windows? Just thought that we should get all the angles covered.. ;) (and am envious as I'm on the far side of the planet currently so I'm struggling to download the damn thing)

Into the same folder. It isn't really hardcoded into Windows AFAIK, just some sort of internal house-keeping that it does.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I don't have them installed, but in the beta iirc it was also installed in 'program files' (i.e. 64-bit), but with an additional, seperate folder within the DCS A10 folder for the 32-bit binaries etc.