Pimax 5K+ through the lens

hansangb

As most of you already know, it's quite difficult to get a good video through the lens. I used a Go Pro and moved it around hoping to catch the sweet spot. It's about 2 min long, the audio is not great because I was using an external speaker turned way down. In fact, in the second half, I actually cut the audio out.

I'll try to post some more if there are any interests. I have every module except the MiGs.

Oh, and I'll play around with GoPro settings as well. I tried both the 2.7K and 1440 mode. I don't know that I see a difference.

Finally, I can try OBS, but as I recall, it's not indicative of what you see through the lens. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

My SteamVR settings

rgSrZ0u.png

My in game settings

BhzRHso.png

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Good work. What is the fov?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If you fly the Hornet, this will give you an understanding...

In game if I look to the left or right I can see the Seeker on the Aim-9 in one eye and the full HUD in the other. Using Normal FoV. Given, they are outside of the sweet spot, slightly blurry, and you cant read the HUD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

Wow looks really good. Can't wait for my 5K+ to show up. What kind of FPS you getting with your settings.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Hehe, good video :).

Im waiting for HP Reverb.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That does look very impressive indeed, could you try to capture what the distortion at the edges looks like if you get chance?

Thanks for posting this it's as good as anything I've seen.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

The Normal FoV. And I'll post the in game setting for graphics.

I'll post a similar vid from Rift so you can see the delta between the two. Again, VR users will know that in game VR clarity is better than what I can grab with GoPro. But you'll be able to see the relative difference between Rift-Pimax5K+

And I really didn't think FoV would matter all that much until I saw it. Then it's INCREDIBLY hard to go back to Rift's POV.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Is this with the fixed foveated rendering? Either way, I have to say that the quality is much better than I expected.

No, I was using the latest non-beta PiTool. I'll post the settings used in pitook steamvr, and DCS in game settings when I get back.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

That does look very impressive indeed, could you try to capture what the distortion at the edges looks like if you get chance? Thanks for posting this it's as good as anything I've seen.

Yup, I'll give it a shot. One of the downsides of wider FOV is that it's hard to point the camera to the edge. I don't recall seeing any distortion, but will give it a shot.

Hehe, good video :).

Im waiting for HP Reverb.

You and me both! :D

Wow looks really good. Can't wait for my 5K+ to show up. What kind of FPS you getting with your settings.

I want to say mid 40's. I had the FPS on, but I don't think I got the upper left corner. I'll post a separate video that talks to FPS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

If you fly the Hornet, this will give you an understanding...

In game if I look to the left or right I can see the Seeker on the Aim-9 in one eye and the full HUD in the other. Using Normal FoV. Given, they are outside of the sweet spot, slightly blurry, and you cant read the HUD.

I meant more like are you using the full FOV pushing all the pixels.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What settings are you using. I have a noticeable amount of aliasing even at 16X. 5K+ by the way.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hi, After the Rift "S" specifications disappointment I am planning to buy a Pimax 5K intead.

- I have a RTX 2080 (no TI) do you think I can run DCS with this card?

- Is the LCD black levels so bad in Pimax 5K? At the moment I got a Rift.

No, I was using the latest non-beta PiTool. I'll post the settings used in pitook steamvr, and DCS in game settings when I get back.

The latest non-beta Pitool does have FFR.

EDIT: Seems it has been recalled due to various issues.

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

The latest non-beta Pitool does have FFR.

EDIT: Seems it has been recalled due to various issues.

Heard it was fine, just a one game would crash when the user would take a screenshot. Others have used it successfully.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Heard it was fine, just a one game would crash when the user would take a screenshot. Others have used it successfully.

As do I. I'm very happy with the performance boost from FFR.

You can still get 112 here, even though it has been recalled as the release version:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pitool-changelog-download/10305

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

As do I. I'm very happy with the performance boost from FFR.

You can still get 112 here, even though it has been recalled as the release version:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pitool-changelog-download/10305

Thanks, I'll give it a go tonight if I can.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Yup, I'll give it a shot. One of the downsides of wider FOV is that it's hard to point the camera to the edge. I don't recall seeing any distortion, but will give it a shot.

That's actually a helpful comment just on its own. I have seen some clips of the Pimax in action ( I think it was a Sweviver video) and there seemed to be a stretched out wide angle lens effect at the edges of the captured view, but it wasn't so clear whether it carried over into the actual headset or not. Thanks for sharing all your comments anyway, it's very interesting to read.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

updated the OP with ingame settings. Left out Pimax settings since I just updated to 112 version (thanks!). Should have some time to record some more videos.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I wanted to upload another video, but due to bright lights, it came out all wrong. What I did was to create a mission with 5 tanks 2 miles away, A10 that was orbiting 5 miles and 10 miles away.

With Pimax5K+, I could see the 5 mile A10 w/ no issues, and I could see the 10 mile A10, but it was a moving dot. This at 5,000 ft high in Persian Gulf map. I'll add in the FA18 final turn to see what the ball looks like.

And I don't know if the GoPro will be able to spot it, but I'll do my best. And I'll upload a CV1 view if I can get a clear enough vid.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---