Next step from Oculus Rift

TheSauvaaage

Hi guys!

So, first things first:

AMD 2600 (next thing to be upgraded)

32GB RAM

GTX 1080

SSD

Runs fine with ASW enabled and almost all settings on high.

Now I would like to retire my Rift. Why?

- I can't stand the resoultion anymore

- I hate the super obvious SDE

- I dislike the FOV (although I think there is not much improvement on the market, so this has least priority, but I certainly don't want less FOV!)

So what would you acutally suggest to upgrade to? And by that, I also take into consideration that "too much", like Pimax, is simply too taxing on the hardware.

I think about the HP headset, Odyssey or Odyssey+, but how hard are their respective impacts on performance?

How does the original O handle SDE compared to the Rift?

O+ is rumored to get rid of the SDE "completely"...

Any other HMD suggestions are welcome of course!

The goal is not the nonplus ultra, but simply better resolution so I can read instruments "mostly" without zooming and get rid of AT LEAST SOME degree of SDE while still not having to worry about fps dropping into performance-hell.

Money doesn't matter, so you can leave out the "upgrading from Rift to X isn't worth the Y money"... :) If it's a better VR experience, let me know :)

Thanks for help!

Edited by TheSauvaaage

O+ should be runnable on a 1080 without much issue. And from the through the lens ahots ive seen SDE is gone and instruments are readable. Its also currently 250. HPs new hottness supposedly blows it away in terms of image quality but it will be 600, and no one knows for sure how performance will be.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

and no one knows for sure how performance will be.

Im affraid it will be PC and FPS killer. Not VR for simulators honestly for 2019 and 2020 ;).

I dont have very good feeling with Pimax 5k+ with FPS in DCS and IL2 but 2160pxt is much more.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

O+ should be runnable on a 1080 without much issue. And from the through the lens ahots ive seen SDE is gone and instruments are readable. Its also currently 250. HPs new hottness supposedly blows it away in terms of image quality but it will be 600, and no one knows for sure how performance will be.

O+ for 250? Where?

Do you know how present the SDE in the original Odyssey is compared to the Rift?

Everything out now has SDE, even the Pimax 5k+. Generally, the higher the resolution, the finer it is.

I'd carefully recommend the headset from an image quality standpoint, but the price is pretty enormous - You'd have to also invest in top high-end hardware...

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

O+ for 250? Where?

Do you know how present the SDE in the original Odyssey is compared to the Rift?

There is a member, strikeeagle345 (I think) or something like that that posted through the lens pics, he also used to have a rift, he claimed the SDE was nearly non-existent, i.e. you had to look for it in the O+. Basically the O+ was my goto headset once I get a better machine. Now I'm really debating between it and the new HP set, which will probably win out.

Saw it on sale for 250 last week, this week its back up to 360 at B&H.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Im affraid it will be PC and FPS killer. Not VR for simulators honestly for 2019 and 2020 ;).

I dont have very good feeling with Pimax 5k+ with FPS in DCS and IL2 but 2160pxt is much more.

The 2160 screens are pushing 20% more pixels than the Pimax. Thats "in the ballpark" for me. Plus the runtime is more mature for WMR vs Pitool.

HP stated that their set can run on a minimum of a 1070 IIRC.

Ran the odyssey just fine on a 1070 with DCS. I have used the CV1, Vive and Odyssey (non + version). I still have the vive and only use the Odyssey for flying now. It does help with reading gauges, and visual IFF but it will not be a night and day difference.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

There is a member, strikeeagle345 (I think) or something like that that posted through the lens pics, he also used to have a rift, he claimed the SDE was nearly non-existent, i.e. you had to look for it in the O+.

O+, sure... But anybody knows about the SDE compared between Rift and Odyssey (non-Plus)?

The 2160 screens are pushing 20% more pixels than the Pimax.

20% more than PIMAX in the maximum FOV mode, which most people don't use due to performance hit. In lower FOV settings PIMAX does not use full displays resolution.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Ran the odyssey just fine on a 1070 with DCS. I have used the CV1, Vive and Odyssey (non + version). I still have the vive and only use the Odyssey for flying now. It does help with reading gauges, and visual IFF but it will not be a night and day difference.

I don't expect night and day, but maybe dusk and day? ;) lol

If you tell me there is a recognizable difference between O and Rift in regards of legability of the instruments and improvement of SDE, I'm in at least :)

I don't expect night and day, but maybe dusk and day? ;) lol

If you tell me there is a recognizable difference between O and Rift in regards of legability of the instruments and improvement of SDE, I'm in at least :)

Yes, he mentioned he could read instruments and the MFD's pretty well. The thread was in the last few months here if you look around. That was the O+, the original O had fairly bad SDE IRRC.

Edited by Harlikwin

20% more than PIMAX in the maximum FOV mode, which most people don't use due to performance hit. In lower FOV settings PIMAX does not use full displays resolution.

Well, once I get my new rig 9700kl/2080ti, I'll probably get the HP and report back and we can all find out. :)

Well, once I get my new rig 9700kl/2080ti, I'll probably get the HP and report back and we can all find out. :)

I'd like to go that route too... but I'll have to sell some more stock to fund it...;)

What torque's me is the continual Intel security/performance issue du jour... and then the Shear Idiocy of the nVidia GPU prices...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I'd like to go that route too... but I'll have to sell some more stock to fund it...;)

What torque's me is the continual Intel security/performance issue du jour... and then the Shear Idiocy of the nVidia GPU prices...

Good time to sell, that's for sure!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Good time to sell, that's for sure!

Yes it is... (I've been turning some loose, here and there). ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yes, there is a difference between the O+ and rift, instrument reading, not so much, it is slightly better. MFD's, HUD, absolutely superior. Outside the pit into the world, to die for compared to a rift. You can do a non icon guns fight in a jet very well, don't lose sight, but even if you do you can pick them back up. Was nearly impossible in a rift. The clear sky's and especially desert terrain in shadows is something else.