Map performance and VR

JSpidey

GTX 1080 i7 7700k 4.2GHZ 32 GB RAM

I gave up trying to tweak the settings so went straight down to low/off. Since I'm using the Oculus Rift all I really need is PD at 1.5 and things are quite nice. However last night playing on one of the top servers with about 15 - 20 players in I did get some stutters during startup/takeoff.

Maps in order of performance for SP Free Flight.

NTTR by far the best. 45FPS rare drop in FPS

Caucasus Slightly more demanding 45FPS occasional drops in FPS

PG More demanding 45FPS regular drops in FPS

Normandy The most demanding can usually hold 45FPS most of the time.

With VR keeping my settings the same all low level flying in and around built up areas in helicopters.

My Settings here PD 1.1

All testing done using FPS in game display and task manager to monitor CPU and GPU usage. Oh and seat of the pants as well. :thumbup:

I don't see any significant difference on MP servers except lag events.

HTH

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Maps in order of performance for SP Free Flight.

NTTR by far the best. 45FPS rare drop in FPS

Caucasus Slightly more demanding 45FPS occasional drops in FPS

PG More demanding 45FPS regular drops in FPS

Normandy The most demanding can usually hold 45FPS most of the time.

With VR keeping my settings the same all low level flying in and around built up areas in helicopters.

My Settings here PD 1.1

All testing done using FPS in game display and task manager to monitor CPU and GPU usage. Oh and seat of the pants as well. :thumbup:

I don't see any significant difference on MP servers except lag events.

HTH

Maybe having a Ti and higher GHZ CPU helps you, I just gave up trying I will always get stutter here and there unless I put everything to low/off even clutter/grass, preload radius etc, except trees, I have them at 50%

Okay see if dropping PD to 1.0 and adding MSAA @ 2 gives you better performance.

Both PD and MSAA by themselves are CPU and GPU intensive.

I basically try to keep CPU usage of the core doing most of the work at about 80% it will ramp up and down as well I try to keep GPU usage to around 70% this will also ramp up and down. I do most of my tweaking using task manager.

short description might help.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Okay see if dropping PD to 1.0 and adding MSAA @ 2 gives you better performance.

I basically try to keep CPU usage of the core doing most of the work at about 80% it will ramp up and down as well I try to keep GPU usage to around 70% this will also ramp up and down. I do most of my tweaking using task manager.

Just checked that link, I could've swore my GPU said 99% when in task manager last time I started it up and I was only in the main menu of DCS, is that normal? What is the optimal percentages?

Also I've tried with medium/high settings with MSAA at off and PD at 1.0 and still had stutters. Only clears up once everything is on low and off

Oddly the main menu is the only place I get 90FPS. I guess there will be some difference.but I don't expect it to be huge.

On NTTR SP in the above .mentioned free flight I get about 7GB.RAM and 6GB VRAM usage. If I jump onto a.MP server this can hit maybe 12GB RAM AND A TAD over 10GB VRAM but that does vary a bit.

For me I find just sitting on the ground in a heli I get about 80% CPU and 70% GPU usage this is my base line from there flying around the usage will ramp up towards 100%.

Oddly the main menu is the only place I get 90FPS. I guess there will be some difference.but I don't expect it to be huge.

On NTTR SP in the above .mentioned free flight I get about 7GB.RAM and 6GB VRAM usage. If I jump onto a.MP server this can hit maybe 12GB RAM AND A TAD over 10GB VRAM but that does vary a bit.

For me I find just sitting on the ground in a heli I get about 80% CPU and 70% GPU usage this is my base line from there flying around the usage will ramp up towards 100%.

Okay what about GPU usage in the main menu screen? Like I said I get 99% usage which I find a bit odd.

I'll check although main screen wasn't a metric give us a bit and I'll start up the DCS machine.

<edit> seems there was a glitch in the Matrix.

As soon as I got focus on the DCS app GPU dropped to 60% and DCS CPU went to ~4.5%.

Okay

main menu.

CPU 5.9 light to low activity all cores

6.4GB RAM

GPU 100%

2.4GB VRAM

Edited by FragBum

Okay

main menu.

CPU 5.9 light to low activity all cores

6.4GB RAM

GPU 100%

2.4GB VRAM

So it's normal for the GPU percentage to be around 99-100% on main menu, phew just making sure there wasn't something wrong with that. As for the other results, I haven't measured them yet, can I get all the other information in the task manager?

So it's normal for the GPU percentage to be around 99-100% on main menu, phew just making sure there wasn't something wrong with that. As for the other results, I haven't measured them yet, can I get all the other information in the task manager?

Not sure about normal. :) However I do get 90FPS in the main menu which makes sense interesting to see CPU for DCS at 5.9% but the main menu is not the game environment.

Try to turn shadows off that should lessen the load on your system.

Can you post the settings.

Not sure about normal. :) However I do get 90FPS in the main menu which makes sense interesting to see CPU for DCS at 5.9% but the main menu is not the game environment.

Try to turn shadows off that should lessen the load on your system.

Can you post the settings.

I literally have every single setting down to either low or off if there's an option for it to be on off it'll be off, the only thing that's not at off or low is trees which I set to 50% to avoid the trees randomly growing as I fly over them. If I'm not mistaken didn't you say your GPU percentage was at 99 or 100% on the main menu?

Okay that was my bad seems thats how it goes when starting up without focus on the DCS app I was looking at the task manager panel.

As soon ay I got focus on the DCS app GPU dropped to 60% and DCS CPU went to ~4.5%.

Okay that was my bad seems thats how it goes when starting up without focus on the DCS app I was looking at the task manager panel.

As soon ay I got focus on the DCS app GPU dropped to 60% and DCS CPU went to ~4.5%.

Okay that was probably my mistake as well. Truthfully VR with all low settings isn't that bad with PD set to 1.5. Still plenty immerseful for me. I can live with it as long as it's smooth sailing and not choppy, the immersion of feeling there definitely beats having prettier visuals, of course if it comes down to one or the other that is. I still would love to have better visuals, I don't know what's with my computer..

Visually the Rift looks okay*, of course the resolution of the Rift is 1080 *1200 but is reasonably sharp for DCS about as sharp as the Rift Home.

Are you able to post you settings.

*More is always better.

Okay that was probably my mistake as well. Truthfully VR with all low settings isn't that bad with PD set to 1.5. Still plenty immerseful for me. I can live with it as long as it's smooth sailing and not choppy, the immersion of feeling there definitely beats having prettier visuals, of course if it comes down to one or the other that is. I still would love to have better visuals, I don't know what's with my computer..

One thing I would suggest is to turn the Preload radius to max. You seem to have it at min. That is purely dependent on RAM and you have 32Gb, so use it!

That can cause a lot of stuttering in DCS as the drive is being accessed a lot more than necessary.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Visually the Rift looks okay*, of course the resolution of the Rift is 1080 *1200 but is reasonably sharp for DCS about as sharp as the Rift Home.

Are you able to post you settings.

*More is always better.

Do you mean take a snapshot of the graphic settings in game?

One thing I would suggest is to turn the Preload radius to max. You seem to have it at min. That is purely dependent on RAM and you have 32Gb, so use it!

That can cause a lot of stuttering in DCS as the drive is being accessed a lot more than necessary.

Okay I'll try it, I did try it a couple days ago but didn't notice much difference, but hey if it helps even the slightest it's worth it.

Do you mean take a snapshot of the graphic settings in game?

Yes it will help give us a better idea of what you have set up.

I'd be pretty sure with a 1080 and 4.2GHz CPU you could just about run your settings mostly as mine are with PD @ 1.0 and perhaps MSAA @ 2 and shadows off. with ASW on @ 45fps.