Need help with autohover and changing height.

Larkis

Hi everyone.

Hope someone could help me. :)

I currently try to fly a Gazelle-M in combat conditions.

So there is an enemy vehicle which could launch an IR or visual guided rocket at me and i try to kill it first.

So i start on sneaking on lowspeed and low altitute and use hills, buildings and trees as cover. My i goal is to be behind a row of trees with only the camera and rotos is visible. Then i select my target, get a little bit higher, shoot the HOT3 and go back again, so the Gazelle is mostly secure and the camera can guide the missile to the target.

And here is my problem:

I cant fly and use the targeting system at the same time. To much concentration for my to stay in place AND use the weapon system. I want to use autohover. But in autohover i cant change altitute. So i need to get all conditions for the autohover AND be in the perfect spot for targeting and that is something which not work for me.

Everytime i try to low speed and hold the hover, the VSI jumps around and when i try to stabilize the VSI the speed start to mismatch. I mostly got into hover but not in the height i need to spot the target but still are covered. :joystick:

What i need could be an auto-hover but with "free" collective so i can decide the height myself.

Is there a way to do that? :helpsmilie:

What i need could be an auto-hover but with "free" collective so i can decide the height myself.

There is a button that does just that, I can't remember its name but it definitely here :).

It toggles between auto-hover + auto-collective and auto-hover + manual collective.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

If you have a free button to map on your HOTAS I would recommend selecting "Auto-Collective Toggle" (Keyboard command C).

When pressed you will be able to adjust the collective to increase and decrease your height as desired. Toggle the switch again to hold your preferred altitude. All this is possible from the WSO seat. Hope this helps. Cheers

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Larkis,

There is a way to do it. I have binded the altitude hold on my HOTAS so I can easily perform the kind of move you describe (moving up and down while in hover). You just have to check in your command parameters (I am not currently at home). When you activate auto hover, the command displays shows "Hover" and "Altitude". When you deactivate altitude hold, it will only show "Hover" and you will be able to change height freely. Just be aware this altitude hold feature is different from the altitude/speed hold switch.

The advice on the Auto hover the other chaps have answered.

But just regarding the other information you gave.

When engaging targets, you should leave a little distance between yourself and the trees/buildings you are hiding behind.

The HOT missile climbs when it is fired then dives down again after a certain distance. The Hot missile only needs a little distance to clear your cover and there fore you do not need to increase height to fire the missile. Stay at the height where your camera just sees over the obstruction.

After launch, start counting to 10 seconds; 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 until you reach 10 seconds. If a ruskie launches a missile at you within 10 seconds you are in danger of dying just when you kill him but more than likely you WILL die just before you kill him. This is the true advantage of the Russian missile's high velocity and it is a truly superb advantage!

At 10 - 12 seconds you can guide your missile all the way to the target with another 2 - 3 seconds left to take cover from his missile.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.