IR Suppressors

Do they actually work in the sim? Do they reduce your IR signature to AI and other players?

Also, are random failures built in to the Mi-8? Could I run through my check one day, and something not be working?

Thanks. Love this module BTW.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

You'll have to explicitly activate the random failures somewhere in the global settings in order to make them work IIRC - not sure where, though, since mine are off and I've never used them.

As for the IR suppressors, well, I suppose they're operative, since you have the option to add them to the chopper in the mission builder. I mean, why go the trouble of including them at all if they're there just for show?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I've found in testing with an SA-13 and two Mi-8s that the IR suppressors seem to reduce the distance at which IR missiles can lock, although that reduction wasn't overly great. Roughly 200m.

There are probably a few factors to take into account and my test had a rather unfavourable aspect angle, I guess, but I'm certain that they do have an effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm

I do not know if you guys agree with me on this.

But if all they do is reduce the range that IR missiles can get a lock- - I'd say they actually make it WORSE for the Helicopter Crew!

Why you ask?

Because if the enemy fires a missile from longer range, it means that you

A) Have more time to spot the missile and do evasive manouvers/dispense countermeasures

B) The missile will have less energy when it close in on you

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Hmm

I do not know if you guys agree with me on this.

But if all they do is reduce the range that IR missiles can get a lock- - I'd say they actually make it WORSE for the Helicopter Crew!

Why you ask?

Because if the enemy fires a missile from longer range, it means that you

A) Have more time to spot the missile and do evasive manouvers/dispense countermeasures

B) The missile will have less energy when it close in on you

With helicopters it is other way around.

You are slow, and when a fighter pilot comes closer to you with their IR seeker missile, they need to commit to engage you. So you have more time to maneuver to get in cover as you see far more easily the fighter than the smokeless missile. Like think if MANPAADS gets a lock to you from 4km range or from a 1.5km range. Which one is worse? What is the change that you fly to the range of MANPAADS when cruising at 800m altitude in either case?

Helicopters should use cover and maneuverability as their key defense.

The IR suppressor should seriously lower the thermal image as it is designed for many and fielded as a standard really when expecting a IR missiles.

There are some FLIR videos of the effect and it was like the visible thermal area was less than 1/20 of without one.

But there is reason why there are "disco balls" and all kind laser burners that are used to detect the missile and burn the IR seeker or blind it so it can't find the helicopter anymore, as the IR suppressors are not enough alone.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am sure they work wonders IRL.

And the purpose of them is to lower your infrared signature which makes it harder to find a god lock, but perhaps more important; to make it easier to spoof the missile with flares.

Either way.

I would still like to be fired upon from further range.

It gives me more time to spot the missile/launcher and reacto to it, and the missile will have less energy when it closes in.

I for one, am going to try to fly without them.

MANPADS are the greatest threat in the missions I build, and they are pretty far from smokeless ;)

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Maybe AI is stupid enough to launch at max missile range but a human opponent will wait for you to come close so he has a very good probability of kill.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo