Navigation in Nevada with the L-39

OVERSPEED

Hi Pilots! :pilotfly:

As everyone im just amazed with the incredible level of detail of the Nevada Test and Training Range map, well done ED!

But I was wondering if there is gonna be some sort of RSBN implementation for our beloved L-39 in the future.

Right now there is only one single NDB in the entire map that we can tune in with our L-39. The rest of them are just TACAN or ILS (Which are no compatible with this incredible russian jet)

Maybe its still a "work in progress" feature? One of the coolest things of the L-39 as a trainer jet is to practice the instrumental approach (RSBN) and right now the only way that we have to navigate through Nevada is our limited Kneeboard and its not possible to land with our instruments. ¿Have you tried to land this bird from the instructor seat without a RSBN? You have 0 visibility of the runway and its almost impossible.

Edited by Felonier 44TH

Dale un ojo a mi canal de youtube dedicado a la simulación AQUI

You can use the RSBN in "manual mode" using the distance and heading selectors of the REBN system.

I have no problems flying in the NTTR map with the L-39

Yeah... ehhh... Time to go back to the manual. :book:

Dale un ojo a mi canal de youtube dedicado a la simulación AQUI

Yeah... ehhh... Time to go back to the manual. :book:

IFAIK it's not in the manual.

You'll want to read Tarres post

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2518544&postcount=9

An easy way on takeoff line up :-

1. Without the RSBN-5 NAV channel tuned to a station i.e. Channel 01
  2. Use the RSBN-5 'Azimuth/Distance Initial Setting' switches and set the RSBN-5 needle pointing down the runway and the distance to 1-2 km.
  3. You can now use the airfield as a 'bullseye'
  4. The RSBN-5 will give bearing and distance from the manually entered point wherever you are.
  5. As there are no RSBN-5 'correction' signals, it's less accurate but good enough for 'dead reckoning'.

You can also set any point on the map while in flight but it's easier/more accurate to setup whilst still on the ground.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Back on topic. I use the Mk1 Eyeball. Seems to work quite well around Vegas, there are a lot of recognizable landmarks :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Has anyone managed to get the ATC working with the L39C yet?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

if someone can show video from Navigacji of manual RSBN

I'm afraid I don't have a video, but I'll try to explain anyway. It's realy easy :D

You need to use the two buttons on RSBN panel (marked with red box) to set the azimuth (left button) and distance (right button). Right mouse click increases the values, left mouse button decreases them.

1kIagTl.png

For example, let's fly from Nellis to Groom Lake. Using the map, we can see that the distance is 131km, azimuth 328. Set these values before taking off, and the needle will always point towards Groom Lake, as if there is a RSBN station there. You can then use the HSI to navigate as usual.

QnRB8Fn.png

@Grunf: Right clicking on those two buttons doesn't seem to do anything for me. Left click on the azimuth button will turn the azimuth dial counter-clockwise as it should. Anyone else have this bug? (Tested in Alpha 2.0)

@Grunf: Right clicking on those two buttons doesn't seem to do anything for me. Left click on the azimuth button will turn the azimuth dial counter-clockwise as it should. Anyone else have this bug? (Tested in Alpha 2.0)

Is this after a cold start? It seems that the HSI needs some time to start working properly, a minute or so, roughly at the same time the radar altimeter comes to life. Also, the distance dial turns realy slowly.

Made a template with custom NDB's just add an L39-C in Mission Editor make it Player and tune in:)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2588952#post2588952

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is this after a cold start? It seems that the HSI needs some time to start working properly, a minute or so, roughly at the same time the radar altimeter comes to life. Also, the distance dial turns realy slowly.

No this was in the "take off" Nevada instant mission. I did change the time of day as well as the country in the editor though. Very strange, gonna test some more in other missions today.

No this was in the "take off" Nevada instant mission. I did change the time of day as well as the country in the editor though. Very strange, gonna test some more in other missions today.

Strange indeed. I've tried that mission, RSBN works fine. I don't think changing the country and the time of day should interfere with it. :D

How does the "manual mode" actually work? I'm under the impression that the L-39 doesn't have an INS so I guess it uses airspeed and heading for dead reckoning. Similar to the AJ-37 we had in Sweden, though it had methods of updating its position using a radar or visual fix.

Anyone?

http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

i think it´s like the AJ like say but without the capability to update the position via radar or visual fix.

For a quick trip around the map, set azimuth and distance with the RSBN box switches to the Hoover Dam from Creech AFB for example; near the dam set the distance and azimuth to Groom Lake and over GL set the values to Creech AFB.

You can use the NDB signal to triangulate your position like an aid.

Sorry for my english.

i think it´s like the AJ like say but without the capability to update the position via radar or visual fix.

It's not. The azimuth/distance mode in real life works only if you can receive a signal from the ground station. If it works in dcs without the beacon in range, then it's unrealistic.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Anyone?

I did ask for "anyone" but some1 will do ;)

It's not. The azimuth/distance mode in real life works only if you can receive a signal from the ground station. If it works in dcs without the beacon in range, then it's unrealistic.

I agree, to me it sounds like a misinterpretation or a cheat.

Edited by Justin Case
http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

From the L-39 manual (page I-74):

The RSBN system provides the following navigation tasks

capabilities:

- continuous information about aircraft position (course

and distance) relative to tuned station

- guidance of aircraft to/from the station or at the circuit

along the tuned station

- guidance of aircraft to initial approach, descent

through clouds, guidance at the BOX landing pattern,

- guidance of aircraft during missed approach

- instrument landing approach and measuring distance

to·landing

- return of aircraft to destination according' to bearing

pointer on RMI when the compass fails

- autonomous computing of aircraft location beyond the

radio signal range of station (in NAV mode)

- identification of the turied station (audio signal in the

pilot headset)

Distance Correction Light

When the green "DISTANCE CORRECTION" light illuminates,

the distance to the station is evaluated with a maximum

accuracy, which the system .is capable in radio touch

with station. If the distance correction light does not shine,

the aircraft is beyond the station range and the distance is

computed by the system autonomously with lower accuracy.

Course Correction Light

When the green "AZIMUTH CORRECTION" light illuminates,

the bearing to the station is evaluated with a maximum

accuracy, which the system is capable in radio touch with station.

If the course correction light does not shine, the aircraft

is beyond the station range and the bearing is computed by

the system autonomously with lower accuracy.

• Like 1