WW2 era trainer?

Stratos

Not so basic IMHO. Some quirks he explains are T-6 specific features you don't necessarily find in every tail dragger. But still a good reading.

Which specific behaviors did you see that are different in a T-6 Texan? Maybe I missed something! :)

Everything I read in that article can be found in Taildragger Tactics and was nothing more than the basics of conventional gear aircraft. Of course, I am just relying what I know from my own experience.

I teach it to my students when they want a taildragger endorsement.

Having flown a T-6 Texan, I do not remember there being anything new as far as technique. The airplane has its quirks some of which are by design because it is a trainer. It is just somewhat unforgiving of sloppiness or mistakes. It definitely highlights any flaws a pilot might have in application of the basics. That is why it was nicknamed "The Pilot Maker".

In fact that is almost verbatim from my introduction to the aircraft, LOL.

TAILDRAGGER BASICS

While taxiing with a crosswind the ailerons should be positioned so that the wind when blowing across them will hold down the upwind wing. If the wind is behind and to the left, the left aileron should be down causing the wind when blowing across it to push the wing down (stick right). When the wind is from the left and ahead the left aileron should be up (stick left). When taxiing in a cross wind look at the ailerons and picture the wind moving across them and position them accordingly.

When taxiing a Taildragger you must Pay Attention from start up to shut down.

http://advancedtailwheeltraining.com/tailwheel_basics

Good picture of Bob Hoover...

http://tailspinstales.blogspot.com/2009/11/taming-taildragger.html

What he relates in the article about aileron to maintain position and rudder for direction on landing is what I have done on every landing since I started flying taildraggers.

In fact, my taildragger experience has served me very well in professional flying simply because the basics are the basics. Because Tricycle gear aircraft are naturally stable, they will self correct. That does not change the fact the aircraft is still correcting what is really a pilot's mistake in not applying the correct control input.

All of that advice he gives out for the T-6 is applicable to any aircraft and is taught as part of Private Pilot's license. It is just not critical in a C-172 so the muscle memory never develops.

Such pontificating as this usually ends with a statement to the effect that flying a taildragger is no more difficult than flying one with a nose wheel, just different. Bull. Yes, it is different, but it requires that you fly the aircraft, not just drive it. And that's a valuable ability even when you fly a nosedragger and it's something worth your time and money to learn if you want to be an accomplished pilot. Right up there with some glider and aerobatic experience--don't leave home without it.

http://tailspinstales.blogspot.com/2009/11/taming-taildragger.html

:P

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever mate... Don't ask me a Thesis... :music_whistling: I already passed my PPL exams.

Still, for the third time, a good reading. I don't get what's the big deal with that. You mean a newbie shouldn't find it interesting? If you just want to show how that's useless for your smartass fine, but don't prevent any newbie from reading what is a good explain and information source for them.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I asked for specifics on what you felt was different about the T-6 on the premise I missed something in the artlce.

The T-6 would be a fantastic aircraft for DCS, IMHO.

Edited by Crumpp
typo's...phone keyboards

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

Btw...

I have nothing but encouragement for new players so I have no idea what is your basis for that allegation. Please relax and reread my post. Nothing derogatory towards you or anyone else.

Mate, is it really so a radical idea? May be you have real experience, as I have (not as much as you try to show us all of course), but I tell you the radical idea, not everybody out there were born knowing it all... may be you didn't know. You're already trained, you find that information pointless, good for you, but no need to show us all how good you are. Let regular people read and learn what is a good source. If you find it useless as you are a master in real T-6 it's perfect, but allow people not being so perfect mate.

Fourth time, it IS a good reading, let people alone to learn. If you don't need to learn anything it's fine, just let others learn something :thumbup:. My only point is it is indeed a good reading, well explained (not everybody is a good teacher or know how to tell things...), by a guy knowing what he talks about. Let people read it.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Ok,

There is absolutely nothing in my post discouraging anyone from learning. In fact, it was meant to be encouraging.

Why you have such a bug up your behind about...I don't know. :(

I am sorry you got so bent out of shape when I disagreed with you on a very small point but that is your problem not mine.

The point being of my posting was if you pay attention to the details the T-6 requires and read that article.....

You should not have any problem with any of the DCS World War II aircraft.

You have to got to be misreading something or just looking to pick a fight. I am not nor do I care if you cannot see reason.

I cannot see a thing in that post that should offend anyone.

Last thing that needs to be said. Take your personal issue to PM and quit hijacking the thread. Thank you.

:thumbup:

:smilewink:

Edited by Crumpp

No problem mate. I just made a comment, one, once, you started all over trying to say... I don't know what. I'm not trying to fight anything, nor I want to. You aren't a mod, you should stop hijacking the thread... :lol: :thumbup:

S!

Ala13_ManOWar says:

Some quirks he explains are T-6 specific features

Ala13_ManOWar says:

I just made a comment, one, once, you started all over trying to say... I don't know what.

Very first post I asked:

Which specific behaviors did you see that are different in a T-6 Texan?

A simple answer would have been sufficient.

I first said it's just a good reading and still think it is, I really wonder what bothers you so much about that?

Very first post I asked:

Which specific behaviors did you see that are different in a T-6 Texan?

A simple answer would have been sufficient.

Just FYI, here red is for moderator, what you aren't.

A simple answer, but you keep going it is so basic, and it isn't for people here and even RL pilots not used to tail draggers, that's why I think it's a good reading. For instance, he tells you are doing wrong if you didn't already cut the throttle in short final, nice feature but you shouldn't do that in any actual WWII we already have, not even in actual trainers lets say a basic Cessna we all know, may be a T-6 advice? Indeed he insists, if you can go all the final with throttle cut it's even better, you know that's nice for a Cessna in a steep enough path, but TD? high powered warbids as we have in DCS? even more, he advices not to make a steep landing path, but how if you cut the throttle? May be a T-6 feature/advice?? He tells you it's better doing that because T-6 as a trainer is quite trimmed to deal with torque and that's why you have to counter with lots of left rudder, and yes almost all aircraft has some trim to deal with torque but (personal feeling) not so much as he describes as you don't need sooo much left rudder with regular aircraft, even trainers, but it's also true you don't cut the throttle until flaring usually. So, another T-6 feature/advice?? Then after those, features? he advices how to deal with cross wind and ground loops in the T-6, some details may be general, of course we all put controls into wind, but isn't he talking about T-6 and any other plane?

I wasn't willing to answer because now you'll start trying to "demonstrate" I'm wrong in every point, no matter what I say. I've seen you before mate... but I've better things to do than arguing. So now say what you want, I won't hold my breath until next forum visit.

S!

I flew the Tigermoth once in Cliffs and never touched it again. It's like choosing to drive a honda civic instead of a corvette even though you don't have to pay for gas, insurance, or maintenance.

Agree, DH-82 in Cliffs are a total waste, almost have no practical use - and due game issues is more difficult to taxi that a Hurricane.

(IMO) WWII primary trainer have no place in CFS, maybe in FSX.

A advanced trainer like T-6 is another history. :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

Agree, DH-82 in Cliffs are a total waste, almost have no practical use - and due game issues is more difficult to taxi that a Hurricane.

(IMO) WWII primary trainer have no place in CFS, maybe in FSX.

A advanced trainer like T-6 is another history. :D

:thumbup:

I'm imagine that there have been enough trainers released by now that ED and third parties should know if its worth the time or resources. I won't buy one period ... I think they belong in FSX or other sims and we haven't seen a real WWII release in almost a year. There have to be dozens of other frames that would attract more attention like early war WWII planes, Japanese, or Soviet craft. TBH if you can't take off and fly the Mustang trainer with a little practice you have little hope in the other craft. You can joyride in any aircraft already released if thats your goal in DCS.

Edited by fastfreddie

I'm imagine that there have been enough trainers released by now that ED and third parties should know if its worth the time or resources. I won't buy one period ... I think they belong in FSX or other sims and we haven't seen a real WWII release in almost a year. There have to be dozens of other frames that would attract more attention like early war WWII planes, Japanese, or Soviet craft. TBH if you can't take off and fly the Mustang trainer with a little practice you have little hope in the other craft. You can joyride in any aircraft already released if thats your goal in DCS.

Same here. Sounds like a good idea to start with a trainer, but if I talk a friend into playing this sim I would advice to skip trainers and put the money on the real fighters. As that would be what we would fly together. There would be no reason to make him spend on a trainer just to have him buy something else later.

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

Sounds like a good idea to start with a trainer, but if I talk a friend into playing this sim I would advice to skip trainers and put the money on the real fighters.

That is really the economic reality. While I would love a DCS quality T-6 Texan and I would fly it.

I would rather see the Dev's put their time into other aircraft, maps and AI bombers over a trainer.