[REQUEST] Cockpit closed but can hear other engines...

Krupi

I once heard the engines of two T-6s in formation as they passed within about 200 yards of my little Cessna 172, so it's not right to categorically state that you cannot hear other airplanes from inside one plane. But... there's a helluva difference in noise level between a little 172 and a Mustang or FW-190!

So from the anecdotal evidence in this thread, I'd suggest the other aircraft sounds don't need eliminated entirely, just turned waaay down so you can't hear them while your own engine is running.

Interesting observation, would also be good to know how other aircraft could be heard from an open cockpit of a not so high powered airplane (e.g. Tiger Moth).

As for the M-14P IvanK has mentioned, it is typically rated at 360HP, probably twice that of a Cessna, and the M-14PF on my Yak18-T has 400. A lot less than the FW or Mustang.

While I hope nobody has a sound system at home that can pump out 130db engine sound and wants to use it while flying DCS :D , it would be most true to the experience of the fighter pilots of that time not to have the 'sound radar' warning of approaching enemy planes. The first indication of trouble at 6 o'clock was often tracers whizzing over the canopy, or worse :cry:

I think an option would work best.

MAC

just as an aside for the casual reader, as a point of reference... you're normal AC/DC, Rolling Stones, etc live concert is about 120Db

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I was just youtubing, not searching for something specific and YT suggested the following video. And what that american pilot said was interesting and I thought I should share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTbMKVuijE8&feature=player_detailpage#t=680

Interesting documentary about some P-47 pilots during the last months of the war.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• ED Team
Wow... >130dBa is loud. I hope you have had good earprotection.

And it wasn´t significant quieter at cruise setting?

I totally agree. That´s why you probably won´t hear the other(but same type) aircraft during formation flight.

Imagine following situation now(sorry for repeating myself).

Mustang at cruise setting/speed 2400rpm/36mp(with, I suggest, lower spl than 130dBa, but you will hopefully tell me), a Dora (different sound spectrum) approaching from behind with great approachspeed(doppler effect) and full power(for maximum noise) passing at a really low distance. Or the other way round. Dora cruising and Mustang approaching. In this situation I would expect to hear the approaching aircraft. But only very short prior passing me.

:pilotfly:

I hope you guys don´t get me wrong. I just want to read your opinion. It´s not a problem for me having the external sound inside a DCS A/C removed.

The difference in dB between start and cruise can be determined very accurate, because I did not use ALC, so I will try to find the record.

Regarding your example... I can not say that spectra of P-51 and Dora are significantly different even keeping in mind different main pitch. Anyway, they are not musical consisting of narrow harmonics - they have distinctive noise nature. So, there are no gaps where different spectrum can leak :).

I can imagine though, that if your plane is idling and the second plane passes in close proximity at full power, you would be able to hear it.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
I once heard the engines of two T-6s in formation as they passed within about 200 yards of my little Cessna 172, so it's not right to categorically state that you cannot hear other airplanes from inside one plane. But... there's a helluva difference in noise level between a little 172 and a Mustang or FW-190!

So from the anecdotal evidence in this thread, I'd suggest the other aircraft sounds don't need eliminated entirely, just turned waaay down so you can't hear them while your own engine is running.

Does 172 have a direct exhaust?

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Just short, straight exhaust pipe. No turbos, mufflers, or any other kind of trickery. But the engine is this extremely simple little 4-cylinder O-360 that makes a fraction of the power and noise of these warbirds.

I'd think that in the sim, you should be able to hear other planes if your engine isn't running, but that's the only time.

due to the compression ( result of an object moving into the soundwaves it is creating [and where the sonic wall (sound barrier)creates itself at sufficient speed] ) of the soundwaves from an aircraft flying at speed coming in from behind, it would be very difficult to hear, but when close enough and on passing, the pilot could be more likely to feel (by way of soundwaves vibrating and passing through the structure of the aircraft) the other plane.

the jaw and to an extent the chest, act in the hearing process... specifically with regard to the left ear

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

• ED Team
due to the compression ( result of an object moving into the soundwaves it is creating [and where the sonic wall (sound barrier)creates itself at sufficient speed] ) of the soundwaves from an aircraft flying at speed coming in from behind, it would be very difficult to hear, but when close enough and on passing, the pilot could be more likely to feel (by way of soundwaves vibrating and passing through the structure of the aircraft) the other plane.

the jaw and to an extent the chest, act in the hearing process... specifically with regard to the left ear

You are absolutely right describing this effect but sobek and me use the term "compression" in aqoustic or sound engineering meaning. For example, the achieve the effect of sound level doubling impression (6dB)you must increase it's actual level to 10db. It's almost the same that electronic compressor in sound chain does.

Thanks Yo-Yo, I didn't have the right words for the effect at the time and it wasn't my intention to confuse things... the words I were looking for is similar to the Doppler(?) effect of soundwaves (or pressure wave/ shock wave/ wavefront?) coming from a moving object.

shock.jpg

Edited by Wolf Rider

-

• ED Team

I checked the difference between 3000/55 and 2200 /i-do-not-no-exactly-the-MP (as far as I remeber i was 30-32 inches though)

THe RMS difference is only 8.5 dB...

• ED Team
Thanks Yo-Yo, I didn't have the right words for the effect at the time and it wasn't my intention to confuse things... the words I were looking for is similar to the Doppler(?) effect of soundwaves (or pressure wave/ shock wave/ wavefront?) coming from a moving object.

shock.jpg

For subsonic range it's Doppler effect, yes, in spatial view.

I checked the difference between 3000/55 and 2200 /i-do-not-no-exactly-the-MP (as far as I remeber i was 30-32 inches though)

THe RMS difference is only 8.5 dB...

It is still extremely loud.

Thank you Yo-Yo.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

This is the main factor, at 130dB it is incredibly loud.

At these sort of levels the sound tends to become indistinguishable and muddy, add to that the dampening effect caused by the flying helmet to ensure that the pilots didn't go deaf, and the chances of hearing a nearby aircraft are virtually nil.

Notice how your ears become desensitised after listening to your engine on the headphones at a safe but loud volume for an hour or two.

I must admit I am very tempted to try and see how good DCS might sound if I run it through my bass amp set up, an Ampeg 400w amp and an old Fender speaker box with four 12 inch speakers mounted in a concave housing. Hmmm......

• 2 weeks later...