DCS WW2 - terrain

Almazi

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thanks!...the hedgerows played a major role during the invasion, will you have them on the map?

Yes, I know about their role. We plan to do. It remains to find the best way to implement

Oh hi there.

In terms of sqaure kilometres how large would you say the final map will be?

is not yet known precisely. It is difficult to calculate - the coastline is very sinuous

Terra Incognita

The German army flooded fields to drown paratroopers and slow allied movements, this worked well. Will we see that in the game?

I consider it the second most important inland-terrain-aspect, besides the hedgerows!

Edited by BabyJail

How very much 'alive'(for lack of a better word) are you going to make the terrain?

For instance; I can imagine that if you're flying a ground attack mission the chances of finding something to shoot or throw bombs and fire rockets at would be somewhat larger in the area you've been briefed to attack. But After that mission is complete; then what? if you 've got fuel and ammo remaining, and you go looking for targets of opportunity, will you find them?

How very much 'alive'(for lack of a better word) are you going to make the terrain?

For instance; I can imagine that if you're flying a ground attack mission the chances of finding something to shoot or throw bombs and fire rockets at would be somewhat larger in the area you've been briefed to attack. But After that mission is complete; then what? if you 've got fuel and ammo remaining, and you go looking for targets of opportunity, will you find them?

I would think, this is up to the mission designer. He could place for example some "targets of opportunity" around the map.

Re: " detail quality" of the video game helicopter youtube clip posted by lightningstrike. There didn't seem to be any urban areas, railroads, train stations, or military installations. Not sure what sort of "details" in that vid you expect to see in France. The rocks and trees? :huh:

Edited by baronWastelan

The German army flooded fields to drown paratroopers and slow allied movements, this worked well. Will we see that in the game?

I consider it the second most important inland-terrain-aspect, besides the hedgerows!

Yes, we plan it.

Terrane is possibly the most lively. of course, you will see the results of other battles. but much will depend on the mission designer

Good to know, thanks!

I have a question:

Can EDGE and the future terrain you are making replicate and/or maybe do just as good or even better(?) in terms of terrain level and detail quality at low altitude flying as this below:

->

This question is too early to discuss. But we try to do everything best as possible

Terra Incognita

@Almazi:

Several basic questions about the terrain have been asked yet but no clear answer till sofar: We plan to do, not yet known, possibly, too early to discuss, best as possible.

So before we ask more questions, basic or more in depth ones, I have one simple question which might help us some more:

-What can you tell us about the Normandy terrain for this WWII sim?

(And I don't mean the promotional talk like 'the best you have ever seen in flightsim world', 'NextGen' etc. but what has been decided, what will be implemented, when to expect first screenshots of Normandy and so on and so on.)

There must at least something substantial to say or show of the map I guess?

Perhaps my comment sounds a bit too harsh but that is not my intention.

There are many posts in several topics about EDGE, Nevada, the Normandy map and everything related to that but because nothing has been released yet after all those years the whole project stays very vague.

Hi Kirill, it's good to see team members actively posting on the forums and answer questions!

Will this be an ongoing process in the future? I mean regular progress updates, since this is something, i notice the smaller mod teams have trouble to do. But I think it's very important for the community to hear your progress, even if there's not much to report.

Can you tell us how EDGE performs in comparison to the current engine? Of course calculating and rendering huge terrains, flight models and many units is a huge task, but it still feels like it should perform better on modern hardware.

I realize, the questions aren't really about the terrain, but maybe you could answer them anyway.

Thank you!

@Haukka81: No not yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

The kickstarter page already contains WIP shots of the Normandy map.

Partially.

The first two screenies of coastline of "Normandy" (if you refer to those) are stills from the Corsica map. Another project and unrelated to DCS/DCS WWII.

Take a look at 0m25s and 1m01s.

The last two screenshots of Normandy are indeed for DCS WWII.

Edited by Uufflakke

Could you explain the process of terrain creation perhaps. Just so we get a better understanding of what is required for a functional terrain within the sim. Make it a long post :)

Also, what benefits to the new tools and engine bring to the creator to use in DCS?

Nate