External views on replays. Sensitivity when using keyboards

keith55

Hi All,

I downloaded the game a couple of days ago, and I've been engrossed ever since. I'm working through the training missions in the TF51D. I'd like to be able to replay the training missions and change the views. I've seen a couple of youtube videos that seem to suggest this should be possible, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. I've opened the track in the mission editor and the external views checkbox is checked.

I'm waiting for a joystick to be delivered and it's going to be a week or so, in the meantime, I struggling by using the keyboard. It's extremely difficult to make small adjustments to the manifold pressure, which makes landing a problem. I was wondering if there is any way to adust this.

Cheers,

Not sure why you would struggle with getting external views. I've just checked the tutorial missions for TF-51 and F2 cam (at least) works allright in all of them (as the checkbox you mentioned suggests).

Saving tracks doesn't work when playing any tutorial missions directly from training menu - that's how the game is designed - exiting such a mission takes you straight back to the main game menu. However, If you copy them to a folder where all user made missions are stored (C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Missions) and play them from there (using either "Missions" menu, or Mission Editor), then after finishing you'll get to standard debrief screen where Save Track option will be available.

I wouldn't bother with learning to fly with keyobard If I were you. That can only teach you habits which will be rendered completely useless once you get your joystick and have to start developing and learning new control habits all over again.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Saving tracks doesn't work when playing any tutorial missions directly from training menu - that's how the game is designed - exiting such a mission takes you straight back to the main game menu. However, If you copy them to a folder where all user made missions are stored (C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Missions) and play them from there (using either "Missions" menu, or Mission Editor), then after finishing you'll get to standard debrief screen where Save Track option will be available.

Thanks for that. Copying the mission helped a lot. I'd only ever flown training missions, so I didn't realise that the norm is to return back to the debrief screen. One problem I encountered was that playing back the mission doesn't show the fly-through hoops in the landing training mission. I did eventually find a way around that, although it is quite convoluted.

I managed to improve the keyboard controls by remapping the keys to a very short depression using Voice Attack, but using the keyboard is hard work. As you say, I'll probably be better off waiting for the joystick and reading manuals or something in the meantime.

I managed to improve the keyboard controls by remapping the keys to a very short depression using Voice Attack, but using the keyboard is hard work. As you say, I'll probably be better off waiting for the joystick and reading manuals or something in the meantime.

I did try it yesterday and by quick short hits on the keys I was able to make small adjustments in the throttle. Of course it's far from comfortable. Any slider, wheel or touchpad would better suit.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I did try it yesterday and by quick short hits on the keys I was able to make small adjustments in the throttle. Of course it's far from comfortable. Any slider, wheel or touchpad would better suit.

I think it might be keyboard-dependent. Even the slightest tap on my keyboard was moving the manifold pressure through about a third of its range. I set up a VoiceAttack profile to press the key for 0.01 seconds and that's giving me much smaller increments. It is now usable, but it's still very frustrating. I think I'll wait for the joystick, although I'm sure I won't be able to resist an occasional flight here and there before it arrives.

Keyboard is good enough in the mean time for non-demanding free flight tours over Caucasus valleys to find Inguri Dam, Roki tunnel, Elbrus mountain. Try autumn or winter too, in the evening or in the morning, moon nights... lots of possibilities :)

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Keyboard is good enough in the mean time for non-demanding free flight tours over Caucasus valleys to find Inguri Dam, Roki tunnel, Elbrus mountain. Try autumn or winter too, in the evening or in the morning, moon nights... lots of possibilities :)

Thanks for that. It was a good idea. I set up a little sight-seeing mission. It's given me practice with the Mission Builder and with navigating, neither of which are too dependent on a joystick.