Mi-8 controls frozen during training

Happy weekend friendly friends,

I am having an issue with the mi-8 coldstart training mission. For some reason, all my controls are frozen. The cockpit is still clickable but the joystick and collective do not move. If I go into a instant action, or other mission, everything is fine. I go back into coldstart, they are frozen. I figured maybe digital wires were getting crossed between sim and game profiles so I set both controls and still nothing.

Still other missions seem fine, however I have only tried maybe 2 others.

What is this?

Fang

Hmmm... no idea really, and what follows may be daft. Still, the controls are hydraulically operated, meaning you need engine power for them to work. Have you started at least one engine before using them?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Have you started at least one engine before using them?

Negative, I cannot get to that point. Its ALMOST like I am not assigned to the plane, but the cockpit clicks.

I'm kinda wondering if there is something wrong with this module, I also cannot turn on the fans in my instant action missions. I have not read the manual granted (Still studying the Hornet) but I found the switch above your head and the fan never turns on. Kinda wondering if this is a bad install?

Sucks, I kinda depend on those training missions to pound info into my brain.

Negative, I cannot get to that point. Its ALMOST like I am not assigned to the plane, but the cockpit clicks.

I'm kinda wondering if there is something wrong with this module, I also cannot turn on the fans in my instant action missions. I have not read the manual granted (Still studying the Hornet) but I found the switch above your head and the fan never turns on. Kinda wondering if this is a bad install?

Sucks, I kinda depend on those training missions to pound info into my brain.

I just did the MI-8 cold start training mission, everything was fine on my side. Your controls will only move if you have at least one engine running because they are hydrolic powered like msalama said. Your fans will only run if you switch your generators on(normally after both engines are running), they are not battarey powered.

Edit: There is an option for synchronising your physical controls with the in game ones at mission start, do you have this option checked?(i don't have that active) Maybe this is causing trouble for you?

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

You have to start up. The controls are hydraulic so will not move until hydraulics are functioning. Make sure collective is all the way down and cyclic centred. Once you have one engine running, the controls can be moved.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Edit: There is an option for synchronising your physical controls with the in game ones at mission start, do you have this option checked?(i don't have that active) Maybe this is causing trouble for you?

I do have that checked. The fans were not working during instant action when the mi-8 is already flying and warm. Gonna try an uncheck to see if that helps the training mission.

I do not see why hydraulics would be powering the physical movements of control surfaces (No hydraulics and my joystick and collective physically dont move in cockpit???)

Check out the following post. You probably won't have the strength to move the control surfaces by sheer force if the hydro system is not pressurized, which is probably why it's modelled the way it is. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3821405&postcount=5 EDIT: Changed my comment completely because the original was all wrong. My apologies.

Edited by msalama

I do have that checked. The fans were not working during instant action when the mi-8 is already flying and warm. Gonna try an uncheck to see if that helps the training mission.

Regarding the fans. Do you have your throttle handle (goes by a different name in the Mi-8) turned all the way up (pilots left wrist towards right, contrary to the Huey), so the engines are operating in their working RPM and the generators are enabled? They are disabled when the RPM is below a certain value, and hence many functions relaying on them stop working, including the fans. (when starting with the engines running, the "clicker" warning about low RPM is enabled and you will hear a clicking sound at low RPMs. This warning system has to be turned on on the right pilots overhead side panel.)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Folks this is still stuck. I am at training missions and it is still telling me to center my controls but they do not move either through keyboard presses vr gloves etc.

I tried everything. I do not think this has anything to do with hydro's, switches, etc. I am 95% certain this module is broken on my pc. I own almost all the modules and nothing performs like this. She is fine when started. But during colds start I cannot do the manual because the controls are not moving.

IE

Manual = "Center Collective" OK. But it doesn't move. As pictured

I have been doing this as per manual from the start but I am still nowhere.

The training will not progress passed maybe the 3rd screen. Again. Pictured

I've been sitting on the tarmac far too long now and I might need some help as to filing this as an official problem. To be straight honest, I'm not sure I'm going to want this module if I have no way of starting the chopper.

If you do not believe me, or cannot resist the urge to tell a pilot/aviation student ironically holding an AAS in electrical instrumentation to read the manual, don't bother typing.

Sorry for that, I just have to Pre shoot down "RTFM" zombies

Now I did try the option to have the HOTAS synced and it makes no difference any other way.

Kinda sucks, as I always do I bought a campaign or 2 for this and now its looking like a broken mod :cry:

Oh. Also tried reinstall

1064355390_Screenshot(37).thumb.png.30935259f448401b6653bc61a19638cc.png

Edited by Fang333333

The controls won't move without hydraulic pressure.

Try a cold start NOT in the tutorial mission. It is possible that the tutorial mission hasn't been updated and hence the triggers might not work properly.

There should be a free flight mission.

Try the "auto start cheat" to see, if it generally works.

Then use the flight manual for a cold start.

There are also YT tutorials for cold start.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Disregard.

THREE times a charm. To my great surprise after a 3rd install, my engines started up, and controls released. Now seeing how it is SUPPOSED to work I see that the previously installed versions were doing some really weird things...

Anyway

Very excited to add this module to my collection. Thank you all who took the time to try and help!

Thanks!

Fang

don't bother typing

Yes I'll bother. Because regardless of your quals, you need to read at least the POH if you're in an AC you've never flown before, real or virtual.

EDIT:

doing this as per manual

So you _did_ read at least part of it? Well I'll take the above back then ;)

Edited by msalama

• ED Team

If you are seeing issues with your controls it maybe worth disabling hotplug devices, it has helped others in the past.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251377

edit: cleaned up the thread, please be nice to each other.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Fang,

I realised what the problem is. The instruction to “centre controls” refers to your physical sticks, not the ones in the cockpit. If your physical sticks are for example off to the side and your collective raised, as soon as your engines come up to power, the virtual controls will match them, potentially rolling your aircraft over, or leaping it into the air. So, physical collective down, physical cyclic centred, pedals centred too. To match the positions of the virtual sticks before start up.

Mole

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg