What’s the status of FM now?

vadupleix

Hello All,

I’m so glad that we get a long awaited FM update this time, I’m curious about the current FM status in following sense:

1. For HB, does the current FM nails all the available tests/data point and is a good representation for its real world counterpart or is there more tweaking necessary in some area? If it’s the later case, in what area the current FM is under/over-performing?

2. How good the cat is now in a dogfight, compared to the FM in 4/1’s update (the one update BEFORE they tuned down the performance)?

Thanks!

To be clear, the engine performance was adjusted, not the aircraft performance. IT dogfights as well as the pilot controlling it. I think your question is better stated as" Do the engines provide more thrust at 200-300 knots and does the aircraft accelerate better from low speed when unloaded....."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

To be clear, the engine performance was adjusted, not the aircraft performance. IT dogfights as well as the pilot controlling it. I think your question is better stated as" Do the engines provide more thrust at 200-300 knots and does the aircraft accelerate better from low speed when unloaded....."

I think they also adjusted drag and lift if I understand the change log correctly. You are right that I might state the question more specifically but sometimes a “guts feeling” of “now it’s easier to beat the same enemy” can also be useful, especially when people with different skill/habit feels the same way. After all, the scientific thrust/drag question can only be answered by HB or people specifically tested it.

2. How good the cat is now in a dogfight, compared to the FM in 4/1’s update (the one update BEFORE they tuned down the performance)?

I can't recall the performance of the cat before the engine nerv, but compared to the last update, there is definitely an improvement. Prior to the update, I really struggled to keep up with the F-16 AI in the vertical. Now I can easily follow him up and get enough lead for a gunshot. The performance in landing configuration probably also changed, as I do not need to add that much thrust in the groove turn as I did before the patch. But this may also be my imagination.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Finally got the update, only had time for one fight and did it against AI F16, easily got to his six and pulling for a gun shot. I reached for the landing flaps handle to get that final gun solution (yeah I know...they just worked great for me in this situation) but immediately discovered that I’m much faster than I thought I would be. That’s definitely a stronger jet now (I was on 4/1 patch before this).

The core of the envelope was never really that off. Only if you went really slow, like 200-250 KIAS did the performance change.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

What version are these engine tweaks and changes in? Open beta? What about the big changelog fix?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

The AI F-5 is really suspicious. The F-15 I can take pretty well, but the player F-5 cannot do vertical at all--it bleeds speed like a slaughtered pig. Yet for some reason the F-5 AI will do loop after loop after loop without losing any energy.

What version are these engine tweaks and changes in? Open beta? What about the big changelog fix?

OB and most of the fixes are in as part of the big changelog - there were a few small bits missed (such as the Chromecat skin) and HB are adding these to the next patch / putting links in threads

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

The AI F-5 is really suspicious. The F-15 I can take pretty well, but the player F-5 cannot do vertical at all--it bleeds speed like a slaughtered pig. Yet for some reason the F-5 AI will do loop after loop after loop without losing any energy.

Consider player controlled aircraft correct. The AI use standard flight model and it's a whole different story.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Exactly, and bragging about beating them is meaningless.

Not necessarily. They're not accurate but they are consistent and have different FMs for the airframes. That way you can compare your skill against AI, ie. like I can easily take down Su-27 but not the F-16, although this is my experience from the instant action missions. I would have to check for aircraft payloads, fuel weight, AI difficulty and local MSL altitude differences between the missions as these may be even bigger factors than just airframe/FM.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I'm just saying you don't really know if the F-14 can beat the Viper until we get it and fly against a good human pilot.

id rather fight an equivelent skill human than a good 1 lol

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr