Can't get heading select to work

Recently, I've been trying to "study" my Hornet module, as a pose to try shoot some things, crash and die. I know that usually the hardest thing to get your head around is navigation so I thought I'd try it. I managed to get vectors to a TACAN station but when I entered the heading and switched on the autopilot, it did nothing. The other autopilot options do work and I have checked the other posts on the subject yet none of them seem to help. My startup is this:

BAT: On

APU: On

(Wait for APU to start)

Ignition: Left

Throttle: Uncage Left

INS: Set GRD or CV

Radar: Standby

MDFs: On/Bright

Oxygen: On

Ignition: Right

Throttle: Uncage Right

Canopy: Close

(Takeoff)

INS: NAV

Radar: Operational

What sequence did you use to turn on the AP?

Pressing the switch until the bug reaches the desired heading, or the HSEL option appears on the UFC allowing you to enter a heading directly. Then if nothing happens, press the AP button to check that HSEL mode is on. The HSI should also show which modes are active at the bottom of the display.

BTW - HSEL mode works regardless of radar. ATT switch can be on INS or AUTO - Not STBY (down). The main INS switch on the RH console can be OFF and it still seems to work as long as the ATT switch is selected.

Edited by mkiii

What sequence did you use to turn on the AP?

Pressing the switch until the bug reaches the desired heading, or the HSEL option appears on the UFC allowing you to enter a heading directly. Then if nothing happens, press the AP button to check that HSEL mode is on. The HSI should also show which modes are active at the bottom of the display.

BTW - HSEL mode works regardless of radar. ATT switch can be on INS or AUTO - Not STBY (down). The main INS switch on the RH console can be OFF and it still seems to work as long as the ATT switch is selected.

Thanks for the reply! I shall try it when I get the chance and once I manage to decode it.

To turn on the autopilot, I just pressed the AP button and then selected the HSEL. Getting the heading itself seems to work - the HSI does show the direction I should be flying in. My main problem is with the HSEL autopilot itself not following the heading but just continuing as if I never turned it on. It does have the colon next to it showing it should be enabled.

• 1 year later...