Basic Fundamentals: Ka-50 Startup - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 AM   #21
Chic

Roger

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 4.9GHz OC'd, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB OC'd, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Windows 10 (64-bit)
Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis &
OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.
JUST CHOPPERS

Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #22
Pac-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazAce View Post
Hi there, thanks for posting that start up guide. It looks like a great vid and I will definitely check it out. I'm just at the start of learning the Ka50 and man oh man it looks daunting but I'm still keen as I love rotors. I'm just wondering if there is any documentation as in maybe a DCS manual or something like that to help beginners get a foot hold?
Regards Gaz
I have found Chuck's library to be the best for a good solid foundation of to learn from.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Hope this helps!

www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Oculus Rift S

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims
Pac-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #23
GazAce

Default Thanks kindly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac-Man View Post
I have found Chuck's library to be the best for a good solid foundation of to learn from.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Hope this helps!
Hey thanks Pac-Man, appreciate that mate.
I’ve used Chucks guide for the FA/18C Hornet and found it awesome, it really helped me out and is still doing so. I’ll check those links and hopefully makes some sense of it all heh.
Thanks again, very kind.
Regards G

Whoa! Just checked Chucks guide, it looks amazing and also has my Warthog throttle n stick mapping, INSANE! Says last update 2015 but I'm sure still relative today.
[SIZE=1]Intel Core i7-7700k 4.2 GHz / Asus Prime Z270-AR DDR4 M'b Aura Sync / G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 16GB kit x 2 - total 32GB Aura Sync / Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX 1080Ti 11GB Nvidia Aura Sync / S'sung SSD 500GB EVO / WD 3.5" Blue 2TB HDD / Corsair Crystal 570X Temp Tint Glass Mid Twr RGB Fan cooled (2 x fans added 1 cool, 1 extract) / Asus PG348 ROG 34" Curve G-SYNC 100Hz 3440x1440 UWide DP Mon / WIN HM 10 64bit / HOTAS TM Warthog Throttle & Stick / TrackIR5 ProClip / ViacomPro VA

Last edited by GazAce; 02-05-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Sub note
GazAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #24
Rogue Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma13 View Post
This is not necessary. The batteries can power the INU, ABRIS, and EKRAN directly without ground power or the AC generators running. Since you need the APU to start the engines, ground power does not affect how quickly you can start both engines. To tell when you can switch from one engine to the other for startup, wait for the START VLV light to go out at around 60% RPM.

The only thing that ground power allows you to power up before both engines are started and generating AC power, is the Shkval display, HMS, weapons systems, and UV-26 countermeasures. The Shkval display will need to be adjusted depending on the distance to target, so it's not too important to set it on the ground. Same goes for the HMS depending on how you're using it. The UV-26 can be set within seconds.

It doesn't hurt to use ground power, but I find it to be extra steps that aren't necessary and don't really save any time.

"It doesn't hurt to use ground power, but I find it to be extra steps that aren't necessary and don't really save any time."

Really?

Really Ranma13!

You do not have enough wartime me reckons, not enough spool time under mortar fire I reckon mate. It has to be the reason you would make such a mistake when I can half the spool time due to external power!
The way you do it, the AC power supply comes from a fully spooled rotor blade! This powers the majority of the high end electronic systems!

The way I do it the AC power is delivered from an external power source instantaneously, it powers the nav and computer, weapon and defensive systems form the get go!
The KA-50 is Weapon ready, opticallyready, Navigation ready when the engines finally reach full spool.

Ranma13, we can spool our choppers side by side and I will walk my Kannon up and down your ass half way through your start up.

Last edited by Rogue Trooper; 02-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #25
Ranma13

Suit yourself:

https://youtu.be/coXk1cF1umo

Instant action mission Cold Start in Mozdok, airborne at 2:20, you're dead at 2:27.

Last edited by Ranma13; 02-06-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #26
Pac-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma13 View Post
Suit yourself:

https://youtu.be/coXk1cF1umo

Instant action mission Cold Start in Mozdok, airborne at 2:20, you're dead at 2:27.
Not to be a spoon of vinegar in wine here... but this video shows you doing a whole bunch of things out of the sequence you initially criticized my video for.. Claiming I was teaching people completely incorrectly..

Don't get me wrong, it's DCS you're able to do that. However, isnt that exactly what I expressed my videos are about... Getting DCS pilots up in the air...

Just lost all the credibility I had in your comments. Your way of operating the Ka-50 IN DCS WORLD is nowhere close to the correct format. However, you inadvertently just showed a bunch of new people a very fast and efficient way to start the aircraft. I'm not trying to criticize here. I found your video impressive. Just simply pointing out that you yourself don't follow the correct way to operate the aircraft which is exactly what you borderline berated my video for. Nicely done.

www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Oculus Rift S

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims
Pac-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #27
Ranma13

The video isn't for you, nor is it a training video showing the correct procedure for starting the aircraft. It's an unlisted video intended solely to dispute Rogue Trooper's claim that he can start up the aircraft quicker with ground power than without. It also happens to be the way I usually perform my startup because though I know the correct procedure, I'm not interested in performing it for the umpteenth time.

Saying that I lost credibility because I didn't do it the 'proper' way is like me saying that you don't know how to drive because you did a rolling stop instead of stopping for the proper 2 seconds. There's the proper way and the expedient way, but when we teach, we always teach the proper way.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 AM   #28
M1Combat

I teach the expedient way...

Why would I teach a bunch of uselessness to someone just starting out?

Also... Ranma13... You really need to turn on your fire suppression system before cranking the APU. Complete NOOBERY. NOOBERY!

Nvidia RTX2080 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #29
M1Combat

Also... for a KA50 startup thread...

There's a LOT of **** swinging going on in here...

LOL

Nvidia RTX2080 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #30
Ranma13

Reading comprehension seems to be a major issue in this thread. I've already stated that my video was a "get it started as quick as possible without ground power" version, not a tutorial on how to do it properly. I don't care that I powered the fire extinguishing system after I started the APU because the APU will never, ever catch fire from a cold start in DCS. Not even the official LWin+Home auto-start sequence will enable the fire extinguishing system before starting the APU; it's only turned on halfway through the left engine startup.

For nearly every switch and lever in the startup sequence, the order doesn't matter. Using a macro, you can flip every single switch and lever to its correct position in the same instant with no adverse effects. My startup procedure takes advantage of the fact that many things aren't modeled or don't matter, to get airborne ASAP.

We should teach the proper startup procedure so that people know what it is and can adapt their workflow accordingly once they're familiar with it. It's the same reason why we teach people to drive the speed limit despite everyone going 10 over, or keep your hands at 3 and 9 despite many people driving one-handed, or fully stopping at a stop sign despite many people doing a rolling stop, or giving a turn signal for at least 100 feet before initiating the turn despite many people doing it immediately. You establish a baseline first, and once that's understood, then you give leeway to break those baselines. This is why the Ka-50 Leading Edge startup video is so good; it goes over the proper startup procedure from beginning to end and explains not only what you're doing but also why you should do it. Once you understand what the proper procedure is, you can then start cutting out things you know don't matter, like the built-in tests and switch flipping order.