Couple of things that get my goat.

Big Nuts

Theaters; So the Caucasus are getting old, and small, it would help if there were some airbases in Turkey or out on the west, as it's tactically limited at the mo. It seems that these different theater modules are fragmenting the online experience. Nevada and Normandy look particularly quiet. Paying for theater's seems a bit over the top after the cost of all the modules, the sooner we get to one unified (hopefully global) theater the better.

Need to be online. Why can we not fly our modules after being offline for two days? Why? Makes no sense at all and is an insult to us who have spent hundreds on this sim and put up with all it's idiosyncrasies.

Theaters; So the Caucasus are getting old, and small, it would help if there were some airbases in Turkey or out on the west, as it's tactically limited at the mo. It seems that these different theater modules are fragmenting the online experience. Nevada and Normandy look particularly quiet. Paying for theater's seems a bit over the top after the cost of all the modules, the sooner we get to one unified (hopefully global) theater the better.

The work and ressources that goes into the development of these maps needs costs money, a lot of money. That needs to be regained somewhow. ED is a business company in the end and as such it needs to make sure not to run out of money. That's just how it works.

Need to be online. Why can we not fly our modules after being offline for two days? Why? Makes no sense at all and is an insult to us who have spent hundreds on this sim and put up with all it's idiosyncrasies.

You can fly offline as long as you want by using the offline mode: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207670

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

in Turkey there is not only to add the bases, but there is also to reconstruct the mountainous territory so you have to add the DEM MESH TERRAIN in addition there is not only the north part TURKEY but there are also--

ARMENIA

AZERBAIJAN

BULGARIA

ROMANIA

MOLDAVIA

UCRAINA

RUSSIA ( KRASNODAR, STAVROPOL)

Then we'd be complaining about the 512 gb ram requirement...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

OK, so maps are one thing that gets your goat, what was the other thing?

I am afraid you'll have to wait a very very long time for a global theatre map in DCS World. Maybe when the cost of a supercomputer comes down to a few million, and the space requirements come down from 3 large detached houses to something less than a whole floor?

Unfortunately, they're already pushing things to the extent that a lot of people complain about download times for maps, and that they occupy vast amounts of disk space. I dread to think how long the whole planet would take in today's terms, or how big the file size would be!

OK, so maps are one thing that gets your goat, what was the other thing?

I am afraid you'll have to wait a very very long time for a global theatre map in DCS World. Maybe when the cost of a supercomputer comes down to a few million, and the space requirements come down from 3 large detached houses to something less than a whole floor?

Unfortunately, they're already pushing things to the extent that a lot of people complain about download times for maps, and that they occupy vast amounts of disk space. I dread to think how long the whole planet would take in today's terms, or how big the file size would be!

I already stated what the other thing was. Do i need to tell you to go back and read it again?

I'm not afraid, a world map is not impossible. It was stated as an ultimate goal as well. Looking forward to it, to be honest. Can't come soon enough, the current model is archaic i feel. Using the current method to create a whole globe would not be the best way to go, there are other ways.....

Edited by Big Nuts

The work and ressources that goes into the development of these maps needs costs money, a lot of money. That needs to be regained somewhow. ED is a business company in the end and as such it needs to make sure not to run out of money. That's just how it works.

You can fly offline as long as you want by using the offline mode: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207670

Thank's for pointing that out.

There's always a way if there's a will, designing a global map would obviously involve a different design methodology.

We will we end up with a myriad of maps we can buy? It feels clumsy.

I still prefer small detailed maps, to a undetailed global map, because it's just not possible to have this level of detail on a global map.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Caucasus

It is free to play and it is the Caucasus and as such it does not imply Turkey. Surely it would be nice though.

ED mentioned the whole Earth model several times now and also indicated that this is not going to happen anytime soon. There are two factors I believe - labour intensity is one for sure, but then a hardware to run it on. While some can invest in their hardware, as I do regularly, there are many people that cannot do that for various reasons.

NTTR is brilliant, although slightly behind the Persian Gulf terrain in terms of details and graphics. I don't know about Normandy 44.

You can play offline too but you know this already.

Happy flying!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

There are different ways to achive bigger maps or even whole map. There can be even cloud sourced map - fast internet required. You don't have to have the whole world in your memory. Do you download whole google maps on your disc every time to see some place more detailed? You just need to have a part you fly at. Depending on the level of detail it's huge amount of work to be done. Think time and money. And multiply that for different eras. You don't want to crash your Phantom on some modern Vietnam skyscraper during 60s war, do you? We don't even know what technology will come so this all is far future. For now though we don't really need that. Some bigger missions even require you to AAR already. Maps are big enough and long straight flights are simply boring. Want to flight around the globe? Not much of a combat sim that would be - go for civil sims instead.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I dread to think how long the whole planet would take in today's terms, or how big the file size would be!

It'd be nowhere as detailled as the current maps.

If you look at the current technology available for other sims, the average level of details of a global map is way below what we had with the old caucasus map.

And it's crippled with oddities, like western building in the middle of Africa or Asia, messy road networks, strange coastlines, etc.

Also, if those other sims are anything to go by, it would means that all the objects (houses, trees, light poles, etc) are just textures. Poor mesh for the majority of the planet (welcome back jaggy mountains...).

It might be detail when you're flying an Airbus at 30.000 feet, it's not when you're flying a helo at tree top level. And it remains to be seen how the DCS AI will integrate into all this, which is something other sims don't have to care about.

Ultimately I think the expectation for this world map are overblown.

If you use flight tracking tools in those other sims you realise most people stick to areas that are enhanced with payware terrain/airports. Plenty of people on both US coasts and Europe but good luck finding a soul in Azerbadjan, Ethiopia or Laos. So you're back at square one.

Really, the problem isn't with the map prices, it's with a small amount of people who have absolutely no idea how much work goes into them.

By all means, get into map development and see for yourself.

Acquire the topographic data, the rights to distribute satellite imagery, create all the 3D assets from scratch (and don't forget the additional AI units to go with it aswell as the miriads of skin for the already available aircraft), tweak everything so it runs smoothly and then sell that for $10.

There are much less painful ways to homelessness...

Edited by Eight Ball

I already stated what the other thing was. Do i need to tell you to go back and read it again?

I'm not afraid, a world map is not impossible. It was stated as an ultimate goal as well. Looking forward to it, to be honest. Can't come soon enough, the current model is archaic i feel. Using the current method to create a whole globe would not be the best way to go, there are other ways.....

But your second point is not a point. You don’t have to be online to play. You just have to confirm ownership periodically. So I say again, what is your second point?

Thank's for pointing that out.

There's always a way if there's a will, designing a global map would obviously involve a different design methodology.

What? like all the money I spent on orbx to get decent scenery in those other sims? Probably around $500 spent to get the experience I wanted with airports, mesh and areas. Plus, I only have A2A and PMDG aircraft that cost as much and some more than DCS.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link