Trying to learn to fly this thing- Is it really possible? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
Charley

Much thanks to everyone for the much needed advice,and especially for the invitation to join the Virtual Aerobatics server. If you guys don't really mind I think I will give that a try in a day or two. I will try to listen to a few more of those in-game tutorials first & then try jumping in ( I need to crash in private a few more times) . Thanks again to everyone.
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
Cedaway

The most important is, while the learning curve is steep, don't give up and practice, practice, practice. Reward and satisfaction will come by itself.
Learning online is the best. And don't forget, "RTFM"! (Read the F*** Manual)

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.
Cedaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
9./JG27 DavidRed+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo38 View Post
Do note that setting up a curve may make it easier for you to make fine adjustments at one area of your joystick (around the center, if it's anything like a standard curve), but it will make it harder to make fine adjustments at another area (around half-way pulled-back, on standard curves). In short, curves typically borrow precision from the ~50% deflected range and give it to the ~0–15% range, which can make it easier to do straight-and-level gunnery and keep your airplane steady, but it will make it significantly harder to ride the edge of the stall and make a good turn.

I myself have never used any curves ever since the first time I flew a real airplane--in a real airplane, the slightest motion of the stick yields results. With a curve, you have to really yank the stick for anything to happen, and that isn't right. Now, I'll grant, real airplane sticks aren't nearly as "twitchy," because of tactile feedback and balanced mass and such, but I'd rather have my direct input and deal with the unfortunately necessary twitchiness of gaming joysticks than have a false ratio and lose some of my potential precision for stall fighting. Your choice, but know that curves are a trade-off.
+1!
as long as your hardware devices are half decent, then try to fly without input curves...you will probably get used to it pretty quickly...only add curvature if its really necessary in case of bad spiking of joystick or pedals...
9./JG27 DavidRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Double_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRed View Post
+1!
as long as your hardware devices are half decent, then try to fly without input curves...you will probably get used to it pretty quickly...only add curvature if its really necessary in case of bad spiking of joystick or pedals...
He flew with me the other day...took him thru some of the steps, he did quite well ....and he uses a X52 Saitek...system....cheers..
Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
TimeKilla

Gonna buy this the morrow for my first fixed wing aircraft, be on the server on Friday tho
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Pman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKilla View Post
Gonna buy this the morrow for my first fixed wing aircraft, be on the server on Friday tho
look forward to seeing you there mate

Ya know where I am if you need me
Pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Charley

Echo38, I am amazed that you don't use any curves! What kind of joystick & set up do you have? I don't really feel like I have a good understanding of curves & saturation X & Y yet, but I started out with no curves & did absolutely terrible. I couldn't even breathe on the controls without a huge input, especially the rudders. I have Saitek rudder pedals & Saitek X52 ( not the Pro, the "Amateur").
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #18
The LT

Send a message via ICQ to The LT

I fly on the Pony with an X52Pro without any curves and it's fine. I think that the regular X52 isn't much worse than a Pro.
The LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
Weta43
Veteran

I don't use curves either...
(but MSFFBII)
Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Echo38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Echo38, I am amazed that you don't use any curves! What kind of joystick & set up do you have? I don't really feel like I have a good understanding of curves & saturation X & Y yet, but I started out with no curves & did absolutely terrible. I couldn't even breathe on the controls without a huge input, especially the rudders. I have Saitek rudder pedals & Saitek X52 ( not the Pro, the "Amateur").
I'm currently using a Thrustmaster T.16000M (it's all right, for a commercial stick) and CH Pro Pedals (which I quite dislike, but it's better than no pedals). I also have an X52 (like yours, not the Pro), but I found it unacceptable for competitive dogfighting (or any other activity requiring precise inputs); the X52 has the second-largest hard dead zone of any joystick I've handled--about a centimeter. Since I consider a millimeter of dead zone on a joystick to be much too large, you can imagine how I feel about the X52. I myself would not use curves even with the X52, but I do know that precise flying with my X52 is impossible due to the enormous hard dead zone. My gun accuracy average while using the X52 was approximately half of my gunnery average while using the T.16000M. (IIRC, the figures were ~15% and ~27%, respectively, in Rise of Flight adversarial multiplayer; not sure about the former figure, as it's been a couple of years.)

As for your second point about breathing on the controls--remember I said that I consider a millimeter deadzone to be large? You should be making fine, careful motions, at least most of the time (rolling scissors are an exception). A millimeter of motion (measured at the top of the stick) is a significant input, if you're using direct input. The key is a gentle touch and a decent joystick--and by "decent," I mean that it doesn't spike or jiggle more than perhaps a quarter millimeter, and has no more than roughly a quarter millimeter of hardware deadzone, in the center. Ideally, you don't want any spike, jiggle, or dead zone at all, but commercial simming/gaming joysticks are all made very shoddily, compared to a real aircraft stick.

Last edited by Echo38; 06-02-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Echo38 is offline   Reply With Quote