Tonka next? - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #51
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Maverick] View Post
Fantastic mini doc

Superb!

I was an RAF brat based at Laarbruch in West Germany from 82-86.
I would see Tornados flying around every day. Brilliant times.

Last edited by Mule; 04-18-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #52
Miasma

That is a great mini doc.

Just imagine a Tornado in DCS guys how amazing it would be.

I would love a GR4 we are more likely it get a GR1 but will probably get neither which is a real shame : (
Miasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #53
joey45
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasma View Post
What they did in desert storm was have one carry the TIALD Pod and laze for the other tornados carrying paveways the ability to do both at the same time wasnt added till after the war.
The Buccs lazed for the Tonkas
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
HMS Hermes V2 phase 1 can now be downloaded!!
joey45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #54
Miasma

Wikipedia says that they also had Tornados lazing as well if it is to be believed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIALD
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #55
[Maverick]

Not in GW1, as Joey mentioned the Buccaneer was brought out to laze for the GR1s. GR4s did both on their own.

104th Phoenix Commanding Officer / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero
[Maverick] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #56
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Maverick] View Post
Not in GW1, as Joey mentioned the Buccaneer was brought out to laze for the GR1s. GR4s did both on their own.
Not true. RAF GR1s flew 72 TIALD sorties during GW1.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #57
Miasma

Wikipedia said some Tornados lazed and the photo above says it all.

"Ferranti Defence Systems started development of the TIALD pod in the late 1980s. The 1990 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and the resulting Gulf War saw the TIALD pod rushed into service. In the Gulf War several modified Panavia Tornados and some Blackburn Buccaneers laser designated for unmodified Tornados which carried LGBs. The Buccaneers carried the U.S. Pave Spike designator, which was limited to daylight use."

Last edited by Miasma; 04-29-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: additional qoute
Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #58
[Maverick]

I stand corrected, everyday is a school day!

104th Phoenix Commanding Officer / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero
[Maverick] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #59
Miasma

There isnt an awful lot of information out there, I only started looking in to it when somebody mentioned that GR1's had the ability to carry TIALD's

From the information I found it mentioned that they did not have the ability to self laze during the gulf war and that this was an upgrade that came later but before the GR4 revision.

Cant find the source but will keep searching.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #60
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Operations - the Tornado/TIALD and Buccaneer/Pave Spike
The Gulf War was ill timed from the RAF's perspective, as its new TIALD targeting pods for the Tornado GR.1 were still in development. The RAF deployed a mixed force of 42 GR.1s and 6 GR.1As, from squadrons based at Laarbruch, Bruggen, Marham and Honnington (2, 4, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 27, 31 and 617 Sqns), supported later by 12 Buccaneer S.2Bs of 12 and 208 Sqns.
The Tornados commenced the campaign with counterair and interdiction strikes at night/low level, but by the beginning of February shifted to daylight interdiction of bridges with designator support from the geriatric Buccaneer. The Buccaneers are fitted with the now obsolete AVQ-23E Pave Spike, an early seventies follow-on to the Pave Knife. The Pave Spike is a daylight system with TV and designator boresighted in a turret, housed in a pod.
Typical raids involved sections of four 'bomber' Tornados supported by a pair of 'designator' Buccaneers, dropping 1,000 lb LGBs from level formation flight at medium altitudes, above AAA. These raids saw the destruction of no less than 24 bridges for 169 LGBs and fifteen airfields/HAS installations. As the campaign progressed, the Buccaneers would loiter after the Tornados had dropped and departed, designating targets for attack with their own LGBs, a total of 48 were so delivered.
Subsequently, a pair of GEC-Ferranti TIALD (thermal imaging airborne laser designator) pods were deployed and used in combat. These were trials units, one of which was removed from a testbed aircraft and fitted to hurriedly wired/modified Tornados, of which 5 were adapted. The crash program saw the pods and aircraft declared operational on the 6th February, after a major effort in preceding weeks by GEC-Ferranti with software support by EASAMS. Named 'Sandra' and 'Tracy', the two pods were rapidly pressed into action. The first raid saw a section of 4 'bomber' Tornados led by a pair of TIALD equipped aircraft attack the H3 airfield with 1,000 lb Paveways. While one of the pods malfunctioned due stabilisation problems, the other successfully designated for all aircraft in the strike.
Thereafter the two pods worked overtime on airfield, bridge and bunker interdiction missions, with a total of 72 sorties flown and 23 aborted. The most notable raid was probably a hit on a large ammunition store at Ubaydah al bin Jarrah, which resulted in a fireball and smoke cloud rising to 15,000 ft. While clearance to carry the US GBU-10/Mk.84 was received late in the campaign, hostilities ceased before the weapon could be used.
https://www.ausairpower.net/TE-PGM-ODS-92.html

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is online now   Reply With Quote