How to enable IFF on Hornet?

jamius19

My one and only time playing GAW I got kicked for a friendly kill, despite awacs and my IFF interrigation saying they were hostile, so it's still very much a work in progress I'm sure.
Not saying that the IFF system works correctly at all times, but do you know if the friendly was a Hornet pilot? He might've forgotten to turn on his IFF beacon.

Also, IFF mucking up on occasion is true to IRL as well. That's why you should always do Raygun calls as well. Now, if only 3% of the server is on comms, that's another story...

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

is it just me or is the iff and datalink and radar in the hornet so inconsistent and so unreliable that they are worse than useless. fly multiplayer with tomcats while they engage multiship waves of migs while you sit there "what? where? who?...

Works fine for me. You just have to know how to use it.

Works fine for me. You just have to know how to use it.

Same here, had issues with it in early implementation but it works just fine for a while for me even at long ranges (60-80+nm)

You also don't need to depress sensor so interrogate, if you got ltws on just slew the tdc over the brick wait a short time (usually no longer then 1 to 2 secs) and it should IFF automatically

and when in doubt in multiplayer ALWAYS visually ID or wait for hostile act, servers would be better if people held their triggers until they were 100% sure

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

ohhhh, you just have to know how to use it!

If awacs says there is a hot target 45 miles off my nose, and my tomcat wingmen have been telling me that for 40 miles and I am in a 4bar scan 80 degree sweep bracketing that targets altitude with a 4 second duration with datalink and iff on and I got nothing on my scope, tell me what im doing wrong. when I do finally get a return and lock it up, it remains in a square, sometimes a dashed square, hes at 14000 well clear of terrain and hes in my 30 degree cone, no iff, sensor depress or not, nothing.

Next flight all of a sudden im getting good iff and solid lockups for a couple of shots, then nothing again.

Inconsistent , unreliable, id be better of in an f86, at least I wouldn't have to wonder.

Tomcat guys can tell me how many and what the non targeted contacts are doing while they are shooting.

okay early release but this is getting old.

If awacs says there is a hot target 45 miles off my nose, and my tomcat wingmen have been telling me that for 40 miles and I am in a 4bar scan 80 degree sweep bracketing that targets altitude with a 4 second duration with datalink and iff on and I got nothing on my scope, tell me what im doing wrong. when I do finally get a return and lock it up, it remains in a square, sometimes a dashed square, hes at 14000 well clear of terrain and hes in my 30 degree cone, no iff, sensor depress or not, nothing.

Next flight all of a sudden im getting good iff and solid lockups for a couple of shots, then nothing again.

Inconsistent , unreliable, id be better of in an f86, at least I wouldn't have to wonder.

Tomcat guys can tell me how many and what the non targeted contacts are doing while they are shooting.

You must be using a mod that is breaking the radar. I don’t have this problem. The only time I loose lock is when the target notches me. I can easily pick it back up. Also when they are using a hammer it messes with the radar. But once you burn through it’s back to normal. When I get bra calls it shows properly on my SA page and I can find them where they should be with the radar.

You didn’t say in the post. Are you making sure that the display distance of the radar is correct? When you select the aim 120 it defaults back to 20nm.

ill try a clean install, thx, yes always checking range...btw I haven't tried it yet but each weapon has a default radar setting, ie 120 default to 20, I think if you push reset on the right side of the display, it will store current settings as the default.

How IFF works:

An aircraft sends an interogation with an encrypted message. if the message matches, you return an encrypted message with your position with some delay.

There are different modes for this:

Mode 1 is a 2 digit code. It can be used for example to identify a coalition. Because it's so weak, aircraft carry a lot of those codes and they automatically change with time. for example the f16 can carry 48 iff mode 1 codes and they change every hour. so you can stay airborne for 48 hours without having to load a new set of codes.

Mode 2 is a 4 digit code and is usually hard coded into the aircraft. they're not super useful, as you will only get one valid iff response from the one aircraft you interogate for. In backup/emergency the last two digits are set 00.

Mode 3 is for civilian use. they call it squawk code for some reason. it's assigned by ATC. If you set your IFF switch from NORM to EMERG it will transmit 7700.

Mode 4 uses an encrypted key. because the key is very long, aircraft only store 2 of them, and they switch out every 24 hours. they're called A and B. They are deleted if you hold your IFF switch to ZERO for 1.5 seconds, if i remember correctly. they are also deleted when you eject irl.

IFF isn't perfect though. if there are a lot of contacts or if there are two contacts close together your iff receiver might not pick up the correct response or no response at all, showing ambiguous/hostile for that contact.

Another thing: there is an iff warning switch on the iff console. DIS should illuminate a warning light when an invalid iff mode 4 is received (one that doesn't match your aircraft's currently selected key), as this would result in an ambiguous contact on the other end and you might want to know about that. DIS/AUDIO would also give you an audio cue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_friend_or_foe#NATO

Edited by FalcoGer

ill try a clean install, thx, yes always checking range...btw I haven't tried it yet but each weapon has a default radar setting, ie 120 default to 20, I think if you push reset on the right side of the display, it will store current settings as the default.

AFAIK, Reset deselects any designated contacts. You mean SET, which locks the current radar settings for that weapon profile.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3524375&postcount=1

Part 12 covers the Datalink and IFF In detail.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

With datalink, very far.

Without datalink, I also got about 20 kts.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

IFF is a radio based system. its range should be far greater than 20 KM. NCTR works out to about 20 miles...but it is a radar function that feeds IFF...its NOT IFF.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Currently, I have an enemy Mirage on lock, but it's showing up as friendly!

Ahhhh but that's the rub...it's NOT showing up as a friendly. It's a box. All your radar can tell you is there is a target. Without additional information...All the IFF can tell you based on the information the radar is providing is "There is a target". It cannot determine the targets intent with the information available so it displays the only symbol it can. "unknown".

Doesn't mean the mirage isn't going to try and shoot you down...just means the IFF cant give you anymore information based on the data it has. As you get closer additional radar functions can work together to give you more information... NCTR is a RADAR function that can further identify a Radar Contact based on specific signatures. (Fan Blade count etc)

But all NCTR can do is identify what the targets "IS"...the Target STILL may not be a "Hostile". If you're flying over the Persian Gulf its possible to have F-14s from the US and Iran in the same airspace...Only one of those would be a "Hostile". (Well, Unless you flip a missile at a friendly F-14...then he's gonna probably be hostile too)

And to this point the Situational Awareness functions or display are not even considered in the equation because it is a completely separate system. They compliment each other and share data but you have to understand where the data is coming from and how it is shared. Eventually as the encounter progresses shared data from the SA system might classify the contact as hostile and THEN the Symbol in the HUD would change to a Diamond...if someone else classify s it as hostile and they are data linked with you...THEN it might get a "^" over the diamond indicating more than one sensor has identified the target as a bad Hostile. PLID would be used if the "Unknown" contact tosses a missile at you" You can set it as "Hostile" so the people sharing your datalink see him as hostile as well.

There are MANY MANY MANY moving parts to the IFF system which is why I think its really interesting...But takes time to learn.

Check out the chucks guide section on Datalink and IFF.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server