[NO, NOT ACCURATE] ILS - ICLS airports

Padonis

3 hours ago, Dan922 said:

Hi guys!
ILS and IСLS differ only in the set of equipment. The aircraft carrier does not have a long-range and short-range radio beacon.
The radio frequency ranges are the same as for ILS.
Therefore, I see no problem adding IСLS to airfields.

Just download the beacon mods for the map you want. Those will add your ICLS to the map you want. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:20 PM, Cytarabine said:

There is no ILS on the US F/A-18C’s. It is fitted to some countries that have land based Hornets but they aren’t the version modelled here.

The Hornet has ILS and it is the exactly same system on Aircraft Carriers but ICLS has a few other features. It uses Freq not Channel. But there is a new system coming that is fully Automatic and allows the Aircraft to land in any weather that is even better. This system is still being tested, the AV8B and F35B version features VTOL AUTOMATIC LANDING SYSTEM. There is a lot of new technology for the Hornet, Superhornet, F35, MV22 and many other aircraft. The technology includes AUTOMATIC INFLIGHT REFUELLING and AIR LAUNCHED DRONE RECOVERY(GREMLIN) into Transport aircraft. This new tech also features new pilots helmets and equipment. The soldiers on the ground will also have access to better equipment including HELMET MOUNTED DISPLAYS. For Helicopters there is a new Navigation system with a Helmet and new FLY BY WIRE and AUTO-HOVER, AUTO LAND. Even in white out conditions pilots would still be able to operate and know and see where everything is.

This system will lead to fully AUTOMATIC INFLIGHT REFEULLING. 

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

This system is still being tested...

you understand that this a historical version of the hornet that is modelled in game circa 1998... 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The actual solution here is something like an AN/TPN-22

9 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

The Hornet has ILS and it is the exactly same system on Aircraft Carriers but ICLS has a few other features. It uses Freq not Channel.

Our Hornet has ICLS and frequency is functionally exactly the same as a channel. Channels are just kinda like presets.

For example (if I'm doing this right) TACAN channel 70X is 112.30 MHz.

9 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

But there is a new system coming that is fully Automatic and allows the Aircraft to land in any weather that is even better. This system is still being tested, the AV8B and F35B version features VTOL AUTOMATIC LANDING SYSTEM. There is a lot of new technology for the Hornet, Superhornet, F35, MV22 and many other aircraft. The technology includes AUTOMATIC INFLIGHT REFUELLING and AIR LAUNCHED DRONE RECOVERY(GREMLIN) into Transport aircraft. This new tech also features new pilots helmets and equipment. The soldiers on the ground will also have access to better equipment including HELMET MOUNTED DISPLAYS. For Helicopters there is a new Navigation system with a Helmet and new FLY BY WIRE and AUTO-HOVER, AUTO LAND. Even in white out conditions pilots would still be able to operate and know and see where everything is.

This system will lead to fully AUTOMATIC INFLIGHT REFEULLING. 

And is completely unrelated to our Hornet, nor is our Hornet compatible with it.

What we actually need is a transportable ICLS beacon, like the TTS 3030 TACAN that we have, I think either the AN/TPN-22 or possibly  an AN/TPN-30.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Most of my flight time IRL has been IFR. I keep hearing people saying, “We need ICLS on land-based airfields in DCS. In case the weather is bad.” No you don’t. The real life F/A-18C does not have a VOR receiver, a Localizer, or glideslope receiver. All components operating in completely different frequency ranges coupled together, required for either an ILS or DME Arc ILS. That is perfectly fine, the Hornet has a Tacan and a GPS. The Hornet can still fly the most popular approach into military airfields, the Tacan and high-tacan approach. This is a non-precision approach with VOR sensitivity on the CDI. Non-precision approaches can be flown in poor weather (IFR), and are often flown in IFR conditions. The difference between a precision approach and a non-precision approach is there is no vertical guidance. You fly a series of published step-downs using a pilot-calculated decent rate based on your ground speed, until you get to a published MDA (Minimum Decent Altitude). These MDA minimums are usually a few hundred feet above CAT 1 ILS minimums. Now, considering you have the runway in sight, or its approach lighting system, you may continue descending to a landing at the VDP (Visual Descent Point). Most if the time, the VDP is charted, however many times it isn’t, so you must calculate its approximate location. Now how do you land on a runway in poor weather which doesn’t have an instrument approach? Fly the non-precision Tacan  approach to the opposite runway to circling minimums, and circle to land on the runway with favoring winds. Now lets say the METAR has visibility well below published minimums and radar minima, you can still land using a PAR (Precision Approach Radar). This is not simulated in DCS, or anywhere for that matter, as it required specialized radar and an approach controller providing constant corrections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

The Hornet has ILS which is freq and ICLS which is channels but the two work together. The ILS on the Hornet is normal ILS.

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

The actual solution here is something like an AN/TPN-22

Our Hornet has ICLS and frequency is functionally exactly the same as a channel. Channels are just kinda like presets.

For example (if I'm doing this right) TACAN channel 70X is 112.30 MHz.

And is completely unrelated to our Hornet, nor is our Hornet compatible with it.

What we actually need is a transportable ICLS beacon, like the TTS 3030 TACAN that we have, I think either the AN/TPN-22 or possibly  an AN/TPN-30.

ED might do a future version which has it, the difference will be in knowing where everything is and how simple it is to go where you need to go in all weather conditions.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

On 1/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, SUBS17 said:

The Hornet has ILS which is freq and ICLS which is channels but the two work together. The ILS on the Hornet is normal ILS.

ED might do a future version which has it, the difference will be in knowing where everything is and how simple it is to go where you need to go in all weather conditions.

VOR, DME, ILS can refer to the channel system or frequency. Although commonly frequency is referenced it is correct to call Batumi's RWY13 ILS as channel 40X.

Channel 40X is a bundle of frequencies: 110.30MHz, 335.0MHz, 5037.6MHz, 1064MHz, 1001MHz. When tuning TACAN 40X you're only using a portion of that bundle of frequencies that make up that channel. When using ILS the localizer radio and glideslope radio are using two different parts of that bundle. And when the Space Shuttle tunes its microwave landing system to 40X it's using the 5037.6MHz frequency of that bundle.

Mercifully and sensibly VORTACs use the same channel for the VOR and TACAN. E.g. MMM VORTAC in NTTR is 114.3 VOR (90X) and TACAN 90X. The TACAN and ILS at Nellis don't having TACAN 12X and ILS 28X. McCarran's VORTAC is 116X while its ILSs are 40X (even says it on the DCS editor, just that one oddly) and 54Y for 25R and 25L respectively.

Channels 17-56,80-119 have "Z" and channels 18-56 have "W" in addition to "X" and "Y". As far as I can see Ws are Xs and Zs are Ys with the MLS frequency as the only thing different.

---

Saying all that, the ICLS system on the F/A-18 is not the same as an ILS on a 737. They are entirely incompatible systems. There do exist ILS-equipped F/A-18Cs in the world, the Swiss Air Force and whatever special model the Blue Angels team uses, but that's not the airplane simulated.

• Like 1

you realise thats a Canadian F/A-18... 

you know one with ILS fitted . :wallbash:

and you realise thats not a version that is modelled in game ... 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

16 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

The Hornet has ILS which is the same as the one Airliners use as they have to operate in all weather.

Some Hornets have. USN and USMC dont. Which is what is modeled in the game. Which is why OUR Hornet doesnt. The end.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

On 1/17/2022 at 5:07 AM, Chain_1 said:

Saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.  There is no ILS on the Hornet being modeled here.

Although it may or may not be modelled correctly the real one has ILS the same as an Airliner. Hornets are an ALL WEATHER MULTI ROLE AIRCRAFT and have to operate in IFR conditions. They have to have ILS to be all weather. The real Hornet has ILS.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:40 AM, speed-of-heat said:

you realise thats a Canadian F/A-18... 

you know one with ILS fitted . :wallbash:

and you realise thats not a version that is modelled in game ... 

All of the Hornets have ILS that is why it has an ILS button for ILS. They are all fitted with ILS.

9 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

Some Hornets have. USN and USMC dont. Which is what is modeled in the game. Which is why OUR Hornet doesnt. The end.

Both USMC and the US Navy Hornets all have an ILS button which is for ILS. They are all fitted with ILS and use it.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, SUBS17 said:

Both USMC and the US Navy Hornets all have an ILS button which is for ILS. They are all fitted with ILS and use it.

Only for AN/SPN-41 on carriers and non-standard special equipment for airfields. The AN/ARA-63A is not compatible with standard ILS transmitters.

• Like 5

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

2 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

Although it may or may not be modelled correctly the real one has ILS the same as an Airliner. Hornets are an ALL WEATHER MULTI ROLE AIRCRAFT and have to operate in IFR conditions. They have to have ILS to be all weather. The real Hornet has ILS.

Though you said it again, you're still wrong.  I'm guessing you don't have any real-world flight experience due to your lack of knowledge of other types of instrument approaches.

• Like 3

If you want to put a mod in to allow fields to put out ICLS signals I made this.  
Beacons/ICLS mod

2 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

And I don’t know how many times a real world Hornet pilot needed to tell you but you’re wrong. They don’t have it and they don’t use them. ICLS only in the fleet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

All of the Hornets have ILS that is why it has an ILS button for ILS. They are all fitted with ILS.

Can you show any evidence to support this claim? Saying the same thing over and over again isn't useful to anyone. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

That is wrong. You are wrong.

• Like 3

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

19 hours ago, TonyG said:

If you want to put a mod in to allow fields to put out ICLS signals I made this.  
Beacons/ICLS mod

And I don’t know how many times a real world Hornet pilot needed to tell you but you’re wrong. They don’t have it and they don’t use them. ICLS only in the fleet. 

Whoever it is on this Planet that is giving you that advice is not a Hornet Pilot.

4 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

That is wrong. You are wrong.

I realize that perhaps you have never touched the Hornet addon, but if you were to try it in bad weather without ILS on a runway it is extremely difficult. The real ones have ILS.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I realize that perhaps you have never touched the Hornet addon, but if you were to try it in bad weather without ILS on a runway it is extremely difficult. The real ones have ILS.
And you claim to be an Archangel that's not from around here. You have a history of being delusional and wrong, as you are here.
  • Like 3