Questions From a Bewildered Beginner

There are several different WWII servers out there. As already mentioned, Burning Skies is one of the most active, but resolves MOSTLY around dogfighting. They do not use strictly period equipment (means you do not need to purchase anything extra, but have more modern ground units to deal with).

I help out with the Warbirds of Prey WWII server. We use the Normandy map and WWII assets( both must be purchased, can sometimes get a deal buying both together). We focus the environment more on the missions then the dog fight, though that is still quite possible. It is just that there is more to do. We do use more AI then almost any other WWII server so the environment seems more "active".

The WWII community is growing. We need more people to just participate instead of just saying it is dead and then not doing anything about it. There is plenty of fun to be had with the limited resources we have to work with, and it is only going to grow from here.

Hope to see you in the virtual skies!

Old Air Warrior II junkie

Very interesting, I didn't know the existence of this server. Maybe today I'll have some time to fly in there.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

to the guy who said ww2 dcs is barren? Why on a weekend is Burning Skies the 2nd or 3rd most populated arena?

I'd say that makes the old warbirds very popular. What is even more impressive is that because the servers or missions are player controlled it has something to suit everyones tastes. It's nice to be able to switch between modern and old stuff within the same platform. ;)

One more for the "Don't use Steam for DCS" crowd.

Don't get me wrong... I have a huge steam game collection. I love the platform.

But for DCS just stick with the regular webshop stuff, and I certainly recommend using the "Open Beta" version.

you can use open beta with steam fyi

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Again, I appreciate all the information. *bows*

Been watching the Grim Reapers YouTube channel and watching the tutorials on their site. And while their leader was a bit too dismissive of the 109K I do sort of get it...if you're not steeped in the subject matter and understand tailwheel aircraft, all that realism feels like a nuisance.

Hell, I'll never understand why people enjoy jets and strike missions. By sheer coincidence, the power and turning radius of WWII aircraft also happens to be absolutely ideal for an air combat game. Plus, unlike WWI, it offers the ability to disengage, though Chris Roberts, in his original Wing Commander, chose WWI speed for space combat to keep it exciting.

But I digress.

There are several different WWII servers out there. As already mentioned, Burning Skies is one of the most active, but resolves MOSTLY around dogfighting. They do not use strictly period equipment (means you do not need to purchase anything extra, but have more modern ground units to deal with).

I help out with the Warbirds of Prey WWII server. We use the Normandy map and WWII assets( both must be purchased, can sometimes get a deal buying both together). We focus the environment more on the missions then the dog fight, though that is still quite possible. It is just that there is more to do. We do use more AI then almost any other WWII server so the environment seems more "active".

The WWII community is growing. We need more people to just participate instead of just saying it is dead and then not doing anything about it. There is plenty of fun to be had with the limited resources we have to work with, and it is only going to grow from here.

Hope to see you in the virtual skies!

Old Air Warrior II junkie

Really interested,I was just searching a more PVP/PVE WWII server so...:thumbup:

The server run the OB?

Bye.