WINWING F/A-18C HOTAS 2019.7.3 RELEASE

WINWING

I went with DHL. Nothing but good experience with them. Always fast. Always on time or even earlier than their estimates. Never had any damages goods. With UPS ask I ever see is brokerage fees. Sometimes in the amount of 1/3 the item costs. What a rip off. They were even brought to court over the matter of their brokerage fees

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any updates coming/planned?

I have $1300 sitting here that I was planning to use to order a set, but I would really like to see at least a detailed throttle video and preferably a 3rd party review before submitting that sort of cash.

Yeah, the dearth of third party reviews, this long after release, is very concerning to me, too.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

Red Kite and Growling Sidewinder have done "independent reviews". Well... they were both gifted samples, but we know that and it is common practice. Provided it is disclosed, I don't mind that. Both of these are obviously very well known and well regarded in the DCS community. Both offered generally very positive reviews of the Winwing HOTAS, with some minor problems noted. However the throttle was generally more positive than the base and joystick grip.

Noobifier and Jabbers both did previews on samples, but noted various concerns which Winwing said they would try to address in a product update on launch. However, both of these guys declined from doing full reviews. Make of that what you will.

There are plenty of guys on here that have Winwing HOTAS and generally have positive things to say about their HOTAS.

Issues mentioned by others in various reviews:

Set up fiddly with various things to adjust.

Button falling off the joystick

Some don't like the joystick base "feel"

Software gremlins.

Software always on connection to China... ET is phoning home.

Some early reports of rusty internal parts

Left and Right throttle arms bang into each other if not locked (not sure if this has been fixed).

Poor quality table mounts with attachment mechanism that involves plastic blocks and is awkward to that on- take off - put back on a desk. Okay if it is set and forget, but less so if you use your desk for office work outside DCS.

Overall it is good to have some more options besides VKB, T/M and Virpil. The throttle seems to be something genuinely different and value added. The grip and base has more competition.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, the dearth of third party reviews, this long after release, is very concerning to me, too.

There's a whole separate Winwing sub-forum with reviews etc. Google is also your friend.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I'm a nobody when it comes to reviews etc and I don't have time for an in depth review. However, I've had my set since mid-December and I love them. Granted I primarily use the throttle b/c I have a Realsimulator Lighting base, but I have used the stick too and I have it mounted so that I can swap it in and out.

The set is in a work awesome. I have had zero issues. In my opinion this is the best throttle I've every owned. The panel is great, I use it for everything. Now that they sell them separately, you could always buy the Throttle only if that's your desire. I think its safe to say you wouldn't regret it.

As for the software... once you update the unit firmware and choose your backlighting level, you can uninstall it.

I had to reinstall Windows this weekend and didn’t bother reinstalling SimAppPro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

There's a whole separate Winwing sub-forum with reviews etc. Google is also your friend.

Thanks. I can always use more friends. BTW, I read your mini-review. Was hoping for something with a little more meat on the bones, but thanks for sharing what you did.

Edited by dmwierz

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone