[REPORTED] Gunsight disappears now? - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Wideboy

Default [REPORTED] Gunsight disappears now?

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
BuzZoo

Default Gunsight disappears now?

Just had this happen in Burning Skies. Gunsight disappeared and couldn't turn it back on.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
Bounder

A friend and I had this too after the update yesterday, also on Burning Skies.

Neither of us had taken any damage and initially we tried landing and repairing, however we couldn't initiate repair. However, my friend then deliberately over heated his engine on the ground to force the option of repair, which once completed, brought the gunsight back.

We had this ‘bug’ every flight and couldn't figure out what was causing it. In the end we tried deleting (cut and paste files inside the folders to another location on my hard drive for backup in case it went went wrong etc) the files in the metashaders folders (saved games > DCS.openbeta > metashaders) and we have not experienced it since. It might have been coincidental but thought I post what we tried to help. If you do try the same (deleting the files within the metashaders folders), I'd advise backing them up just in case etc etc.

[EDIT] deleting the contents of metashaders folders did not fix the bug - see below

Last edited by Bounder; 06-09-2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 06-08-2019, 04:33 AM   #4
Lukasto90PL

A have the same problem.
After update mi gunsight disappeared twice in two flights.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:09 AM   #5
-0303-

Quote:
Just had this happen in Burning Skies. Gunsight disappeared and couldn't turn it back on.
Just happened to me as well. About 5 min after takeoff (Caucasus, Hoggit map).

Interestingly it came back after doing repair. I just checked that "random failures" wasn't checked and came here to post: "gun sight disappearing".

Last edited by -0303-; 06-08-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
BuzZoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
A friend and I had this too after the update yesterday, also on Burning Skies.

Neither of us had taken any damage and initially we tried landing and repairing, however we couldn't initiate repair. However, my friend then deliberately over heated his engine on the ground to force the option of repair, which once completed, brought the gunsight back.

We had this ‘bug’ every flight and couldn't figure out what was causing it. In the end we tried deleting (cut and paste files inside the folders to another location on my hard drive for backup in case it went went wrong etc) the files in the metashaders folders (saved games > DCS.openbeta > metashaders) and we have not experienced it since. It might have been coincidental but thought I post what we tried to help. If you do try the same (deleting the files within the metashaders folders), I'd advise backing them up just in case etc etc.

Ah, thanks! I'll give that a go. I forgot that deleting metashaders every other update is generally a good idea.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Bounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by -0303- View Post
Deleted fxo and metashaders2
Not a fix. Gun Sight disappeared again. 2 out of 2 takeoffs.

Is there a reason you didn't delete contents of the folder "metashaders" in addition to "metashaders2"? Asking more for understanding reasons.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Bounder

Here's a short video from last night showing the gunsight disappearing. This one occurred after going wheels down (~15 secs into the 27 sec video):

Edit: added 2nd example

Last edited by Bounder; 06-08-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
mkiii

Seems OK here. What do you mean by disappears? This is implying that it comes on for a while, then goes off. Have you checked that the switch is in the ON position after it goes off? If it goes to the off position, then it sounds like it may be assigned to a control that you are unaware of.
[EDIT] It started happening to me too last update, and is still happening in latest Beta (21/06/19)

Last edited by mkiii; 06-21-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
-0303-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Is there a reason you didn't delete contents of the folder "metashaders" in addition to "metashaders2"? Asking more for understanding reasons.
Because I'm a retard. I didn't read up carefully enough on fxo & metashaders and only deleted "fxo" & "metashaders2" under "Saved Games".
I think it's fixed now after deleting three folders:
Quote:
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\fxo
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\metashaders
Also did
Quote:
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin>DCS_updater.exe cleanup
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin>DCS_updater.exe repair
which I don't know if it was necessary. Cleanup and Repair.

Note, it's Open Beta even if folder name doesn't say so.

~

EDIT/ADD:

No, it is not a fix. Gun sight disappeared again.

Last edited by -0303-; 06-10-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Closed Thread