Left handed stick recomendation please - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
imk

Default Left handed stick recomendation please

Hello,
So ya I am a lefty living in a right handed words and am open to input re a new left handed or dual left/right adjustable stick.
I currently have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force USB that I bought second hand, its ok but think time I got a nice new one.
So recommendation please.
imk
PS I fly DCS F15, A10, and FS x heavy jets.
imk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
cichlidfan
Veteran

Just something to keep in mind. RL pilots, whether left handed or right handed, all use the same hardware. This means that in those military jets, it is right hand on the stick and left hand on the throttle.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
skouras

im a left handed too but im flying many years with my right hand on stick
without any problem at all
W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - Asus GTX 1070 Strix Rog oc - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog
skouras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
imk

From my memory of flying real planes (not fighters) I took the left hand seat and throttle was on my right. I guess its what you get use to, but problem is I am VERY left handed. Also my desk layout is stick left hand and teach yourself how to fly F16 manual my right.

So any ideas/recommendation for good left handed stick please?
imk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Pikey
Veteran

True for civvie planes. But its like asking for an automatic rifle with the ejection port on the other side, it just doesn't happen.

Best in memory was some saitek multi sided one but I wouldn't recommend it, i'd only recommend getting used to the way it is and avoiding your disappointment by redefining your expectations..
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
ddocg

Perhaps this is of use?

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangero...hinking_about/

Don't know if the following is still active\available, contact to ask.

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index...anded+%2Bhotas

and this one which is more recent

http://starcitizen.mmmos.com/?p=view...-a10c-joystick

Intel Core i7 4770K i30 cooler Win 7 Pro 64bit Kingston SSDNOW V300 SATA III 240GB OS Drive
Kingston SSDNOW V300 SATA III 120GB DCSW Dedicated Drive ASUS Radeon R9 290 ASUS Z87-K
Corsair 16GB DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black 1600mhz Corsair AX860i PSU Thermaltake Chaser A71 Case
Acer S271HL 27 inch monitor 1No 8" lilliput touch screen, running uMFCD
TM HOTAS Cougar with TUSBA TM Cougar Stick Simped F16 C with RUSBA Track IR5

Last edited by ddocg; 12-14-2014 at 01:04 AM.
ddocg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
Tucano_uy

I'm also a leftie. The best is to get used to it and use the right hand for the stick. Mouse in left, stick in right hand, I actually see it as an advantage (think of the poor other 90% letting the stick go to use the mouse in the cockpit). I struggled at the begining but muscle memory develops quickly, so no problems nowadays.

It also helped a LOT when I started to fly gliders IRL, it felt relatively comfortable since day one. Since trim and airbrake controls are on the left side, you need to fly the approach with the right hand on the stick.

I would appreciate a good left handed friendly gaming mouse though...
Tucano_uy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
Rangi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
True for civvie planes. But its like asking for an automatic rifle with the ejection port on the other side, it just doesn't happen.
Sorry I'm OT, but we (ex Australian Army) had the option of left or right handed ejection ports for our F88 Aus Styer (Australian version of Styer AUG). It was a fairly easy conversion done by the unit level armorer.

However I also recommend getting used to the 'right-handed' setup because it's more realistic and it will be a lot cheaper for you. I have trained myself to use my mouse left handed for DCS clickable cockpits and I am even getting pretty good with pressing left mouse button with my left ring finger, which I found very hard at first.
Further OT if anyone knows a way to swap left and right mouse buttons on individual mouse devices I would love to know how. So far I have only found global swap setting so my right hand mouse gets swapped as well as my left.
Rangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
Wolf Rider

Have a look at the Razer DeathAdder mouse for a good left hand unit and sorry, can't help with a LH joystick.

throttle in the left, mouse in the middle and joystick on the right, with the keyboard tucked up on a sliding tray underneath (I learned in an office - mouse in the left and pen in the right)

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys
-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"
Wolf Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Captain Spears

I am a south-paw too. Played flight sim this way since F16 on the Commodore 64 in 1987! Two months ago, when I got my first throttle and HOTAS, and decided to become a big boy and fly the way real pilots do. The reward was immense, and now feels as natural as ever.

Do it!
Captain Spears is offline   Reply With Quote